Ship vs. Independent...Looking for input....

unavox

Just curious after reading alot of posts.

When you are at a port for the FIRST TIME and diving alone (not in your own group). Do you book the ship dive or do you find your own? I can see pros and cons for both.

I'm still getting my fins broken in, so any advice you share is greatly appreciated.

For me it depends mostly on the time in port. For my upcoming trip I'm diving in Bonaire and Grenada and doing both of these with the ship. Bonaire we're in port from 7 am until only 1 pm and Grenada we don't get there until 12 pm and leave at 7 pm. Cost is also a factor in this. I'm hesitant to book a St. Lucia dive with the ship because it's $159 so I'm currently trying to find a shop. I'm the only diver in my group so invariably, I'm on my own in terms of arranging things. This hasn't been a problem in the past.

Laura

We usually plan dives with private dive shops when it is convenient. Earlier this year I planned dives for my son, who was the only diver in our group. If you go on the roll call for your cruise there may be other divers you can join. As already mentioned, the time in port and the distance to dive sites might make a difference as to whether you use the ship excursion or arrange your own. You might post the ports you are diving in so that you can get specific recommendations. Have fun!!! Cherie

We definitely factor in the first time in a port issue. Unless you have really reliable info-- like from this board, regarding the lay of the land at a given port, it could be safer to stick with the ship's offering if the time frame is a narrow one.

One example is Barbados. If you book your own trip you have to exit the ship, walk a pretty good way down the pier, traverse a fairly large shopping mall, squeeze your way through the chaotic lineup area for ALL of the various ships' tours-- people, buses, etc., then walk another 1/4 mile to the port entry where you hopefully can find a cab if needed or meet your ride if one is being included. Of course all of that is reversed upon your return.

If you don't know all of that it would be easy to think you can make the timing work, when in fact you actually might not be able to. The best advice would be to ask for port specific info here before you decide what to do in each port.

Thanks for your input.

I usually dive with my Brother & SIL, but am solo this next trip. We are going to St. Marteen, San Juan and Grand Turk.

HAL has not listed a dive excursion for St. Marteen and my LDS suggested a vendor, who has had problems with 'losing' divers. So, I'm really not too confident in their recommendation.

Any suggestions for

Grand Turk?

(If the whales are going through, I would be content to just hang out and listen for awhile)

St. Marteen?

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Dawn

List what ports. As one guy said, all are different, and some ports (like Cozumel) are a breeze while others are not.

not only list the ports, list the time you will arrive and depart for each port.

On my first cruise after certification with less than 15 dives under my belt, I still made my own arrangements in 3 out of the 4 ports.

Give us more info and we'll be able to make more informed recommendations.

We are in

Grand Turk...7am-3pm

St. Maarten..8am-5pm (Phillipsburg)

Thanks!!

Grand Turk, Blue water divers. Just talked to them yesterday booking my excursion with them. They have a morning two tank from 9am-12:30pm. I've dove with them twice and just scheduled for this Feb. They're great, small and GT has wonderful diving (both wall and reef). You can contact them through their website: www.grandturkscuba.com/.

Randall

Grand Turk, Blue water divers. Just talked to them yesterday booking my excursion with them. They have a morning two tank from 9am-12:30pm. I've dove with them twice and just scheduled for this Feb. They're great, small and GT has wonderful diving (both wall and reef). You can contact them through their website: www.grandturkscuba.com/.

Randall

I agree with Blue Water Divers on Grand Turk. They were fantastic with my son. Also, we took a duffle of clothes which they took to the Red Cross Thrift Store that makes money for disaster relief on the island. I have not been able to contact them since the destructive hurricane this year but I hope they are up and running again. Cherie

If you can dive while the whales are nearby it would be fantastic. My son and daugher-in-law went diving on the North Shore of Oahu in April and they said the sounds from the whales were amazing. An experience most of us never have. Cherie

I agree with Blue Water Divers on Grand Turk. They were fantastic with my son. Also, we took a duffle of clothes which they took to the Red Cross Thrift Store that makes money for disaster relief on the island. I have not been able to contact them since the destructive hurricane this year but I hope they are up and running again. Cherie

You can phone them at 649-243-1241 or you can send an e-mail to rollingmitch32@gmail.com. Like I said, I talked with Monica, Mitch's office manager yesterday and they're up and running 100% and she said the reef is looking good! :)

Randall

You can phone them at 649-243-1241 or you can send an e-mail to rollingmitch32@gmail.com. Like I said, I talked with Monica, Mitch's office manager yesterday and they're up and running 100% and she said the reef is looking good! :)

Randall

Thank you for the update. I had tried to email Monica and received responses that my email was undeliverable. I will send an email to Mitch. I'm so happy to hear they are o.k. and the reef looks good. Britton really enjoyed his day with them. Cherie

When you are at a port for the FIRST TIME and diving alone (not in your own group). Do you book the ship dive or do you find your own? I can see pros and cons for both.

I'm still getting my fins broken in, so any advice you share is greatly appreciated.

I am in the same situation. First time doing a cruise and dive, first time to Cozumel, only my 2nd cruise ever (1st one was 9 years ago), and I am a relatively inexperienced diver (25 dives lifetime). I'm scheduled to be in Cozumel for 12 hours (7 to 7), which seems long enough to go it alone. So many people said to book independently, so I followed their advice. And once my wife gave me the ok (I was concerned about a delay and missing the ship leaving the port), I booked the dive on my own. One option might be to book a dive excursion and an independent dive, and then see if people on the ship are diving (if the ship has a dive facility on it) and hook up with them. But that seems like a lot of work.

I am in the same situation. First time doing a cruise and dive, first time to Cozumel, only my 2nd cruise ever (1st one was 9 years ago), and I am a relatively inexperienced diver (25 dives lifetime). I'm scheduled to be in Cozumel for 12 hours (7 to 7), which seems long enough to go it alone. So many people said to book independently, so I followed their advice. And once my wife gave me the ok (I was concerned about a delay and missing the ship leaving the port), I booked the dive on my own. One option might be to book a dive excursion and an independent dive, and then see if people on the ship are diving (if the ship has a dive facility on it) and hook up with them. But that seems like a lot of work.

Hi,

My personal experience has been that the people you buddy up from the ship's excursions and the people you buddy up with on an independent dive are pretty much the same. In either case you're buddying up with someone you really don't know. I like to think I can tell more about a diver by how they set up their equipment before the dive than spending a couple days in the bar on-board talking about our past dives. Also the people on the ship excursions GENERALLY (big generally as some experienced divers just don't want the hassle of going off ship) are less experienced than divers who book independent. Bruce-r did a good write up of the pros/cons of ship vs. independent. Search this forum for it and see if that makes a difference in your choice.

Randall

P.S. Also be aware that Cozumel is drift diving. You should be comfortable with your bouyancy, pressurization and getting down to the deck quickly, and good air control (Usually you go as a group and the first one out of air is the signal for the group to go up. Some of the "fish" in the group can be upset if they come up with 2500lbs of air and you're at 300.). It's not difficult, just different than swimming around without current at your back.

Thank you for the update. I had tried to email Monica and received responses that my email was undeliverable. I will send an email to Mitch. I'm so happy to hear they are o.k. and the reef looks good. Britton really enjoyed his day with them. Cherie

Yep, they're fine. Mitch posted this update in October on their website

:

Update: 10/09/2008 -

We would like to thank everyone who has wished us well, and we are happy to report that progress is continuing daily. Several parts of the island already have power back.

Here at Blue Water Divers, we are now able to get tanks filled and have been thrilled to get back out on the wall diving. Early reports are confirmed that the wall is in great shape and we couldn't be more pleased. The Osprey Beach Hotel has their beach front rooms open, and they will be opening the Atrium rooms by early Nov. The hotel is taking reservations. Other hotels and guest houses are also already open again, or will be opening soon.

At this time we are pleased to encourage anyone who has a booking already, or is considering making one, to go ahead with your plans..... We can be contacted at rollingmitch32@gmail.com, or cell phone at 1-649-241-7869 or 649-243-1241

Please feel free to contact us with any questions, and we look forward to seeing you all down soon!

:) Randall

We are in

Grand Turk...7am-3pm

St. Maarten..8am-5pm (Phillipsburg)

Thanks!!

In St. Maarten we have used Scuba Fun in the past and had great fun and decent dives. It's a good operation that works with cruise ship divers and easy to get to from the pier. Keep in mind that the diving in general here is not spectacular. http://www.cruisedivers.blogspot.com

For me it depends mostly on the time in port. For my upcoming trip I'm diving in Bonaire and Grenada and doing both of these with the ship. Bonaire we're in port from 7 am until only 1 pm and Grenada we don't get there until 12 pm and leave at 7 pm. Cost is also a factor in this. I'm hesitant to book a St. Lucia dive with the ship because it's $159 so I'm currently trying to find a shop. I'm the only diver in my group so invariably, I'm on my own in terms of arranging things. This hasn't been a problem in the past.

Laura

Have you contacted Dive Fair Helen?

There's a mix of snorkelers and divers. Of course, separate guides.

http://www.divefairhelen.com/cruise_ship_special.htm

The following is from snorkeling perspective, but the divers seemed satisfied.

Feb 12 – St Lucia: Full day snorkel with Dive Fair Helen.

http://www.divefairhelen.com/cruise_ship_special.htm

Boat meets us at ferry dock just across from cruise ship. Bumpy ride to dive shop at Marigot Bay.

Ten snorkelers and nine divers board boat and head for Anse Cochon. Excellent marine life. Lunch is served on board, then a second stop at Richmond’s Trench.

Large coral formations on each side are near the surface. A good day with an excellent operator. A big thumbs up for DFH.

I agree with others that it depends on time in port (if time is short, go with the cruise excursion!) It also depends on how far away the dive shop is from the pier, if they don't pick you up. On the Carnival Legend in September 2007 I chose to dive the ship's tour in Belize because it's a tender port... the Carnival excursion actually allowed them to pick you up from the ship thus saving lots of time and headache. The price was about 5 or 10 bucks cheaper than the land based ones I found, which is kind of unusual. It WAS a large group, but with plenty of room and plenty of help and I had a fabulous time.

We have also booked a ship diving excursion on our upcoming HAL cruise because the local operator has a deposit policy we're not comfortable with. So many factors to account for...

On the Carnival Legend in September 2007 I chose to dive the ship's tour in Belize because it's a tender port... the Carnival excursion actually allowed them to pick you up from the ship thus saving lots of time and headache. The price was about 5 or 10 bucks cheaper than the land based ones I found, which is kind of unusual. It WAS a large group, but with plenty of room and plenty of help and I had a fabulous time.

Which excursion did you take? We are going to Belize in Jan - there are 3 different tours, but only the one to Goff's Cay mentions that it boards directly from the ship.

Thank you!

first off I apoligize if I'm hijacking this thread. we're first time cruisers with 25 or so dives. We'll be in Roatan, Belize & Cozumel from 8-5 week of Feb 1, 2009.

I understand we'll pretty much have to use the cruise excursion for belize given where the ship anchors. If you have recommendations for roatan & cozumel it would be appreciated

Archived