Liquor purchased in duty free areas

missymac

Question - If you purchase liquor in duty free areas while on the cruise, do they let you board w/it and take it to your cabin, or charge some kind of fee?

Thanks

No they do not let you take booze, wine or beer to your cabin. You check it in when you re-board the ship and they will deliver it to your stateroom the night before you disembark. The only booze you can take to your stateroom is what you bring with you at embarkation. I have heard of people walking past the table when yopu re-board, but you are taking a chance that you will get caught and embarrassed in front of family, friends and other passengers.;

I just returned from the Glory (St Maartin) and placed my back pack which contained 2 bottles through the x-ray machine. Picked it up and left and no one was at the table to collect the bottles and I walked with it to my room. I gues it will depend on who is minding the ship that day.

We were on the Conquest September 7-14,15,16,17,18 (depending on when you got off) and in Jamaica we were in a group that had gone to the Appleton Rum Factory. We had boxes of Rum and alcohol in our hands. We didn't even realize there was a table until we got to our room and someone asked us how we got the alcohol on the ship? We didn't even see a table. Like the other poster said, I guess it all depends on who is minding the table, if you even can see the table.

Didn't really matter to us. We didn't open any of it. Now the alcohol that we bought on the ship was kept and then placed outside our room before our last day Monday, so Sunday night. I think they gave everyone their alcohol back Sunday evening for debarkation in New Orleans on Monday. Everyone had to disembark even if they were getting right back on the ship. So, those who stayed on the ship until it ported in Houston, Thursday, had all of their alcohol from Monday to Thursday.

While getting back on the ship in PV, I carried on Tequilla and the person @ x-ray didn't say anything, so I just kept walking...Oooops:o The table guy started calling me to come back and signed in my 2 bottles. No loss, as I didn't need to use any, but I can only imagine how many others slid by when he was working checking mine in.

Carnival actually addresses the question in their - get this - Frequently Asked Questions section on their website. Imagine that!

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Liquor_and_Beverage_Consumption_Policy.aspx

Ports-of-Call

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in any Port-of-Call will be confiscated at the gangway, stored on board and retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Gift Shops On Board

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in the ship's gift shop will be stored on board and be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

But, of course, people can and will sneak it on board, whether intentionally or not.

In Cozumel they person on the x-ray machine was just telling people to please check all liquor. We checked one bottle but took the others to our room. We didn’t open any of those we took to our room, but nobody said anything either.

I guess it really does depend on how tight security is on your ship. There was a Disney ship parked next to us and they searched bags prior to people boarding, right on the pier.

The liquor we bought on the ship was delivered after 9:00 pm on the last night. People buying on the ship that night around 8:00 pm we allowed to take it to their rooms.

our daughters boyfriend wanted to get a bottle of vodka in san juan, when we were paying at the duty free store the cashier told him to buy the smaller plastic bottle with the plastic lid and tuck it in his pants front and pull his t'shirt out infront. that way it wouldnt set off the metal detectors. At one port a few years ago the couple infront of us had filled a 2litre bottle with booze the person at the check in (when you go back on the ship) shook the bottle said it is not water and confiscated it.

Yeah it just depends on who is working. We bought I believe 4 bottles of Tequila in Coz and when we boarded the Conquest they scanned the 'open' shopping bag (see page #5 of our review for our yellow booze bags :)), handed it to us and we walked right passed the lady who was checking-in liquor. Now before anyone says anything....we were not trying to get passed the check-in but we were more concerned with returning to our balcony to watch all the drunks make their way down that long pier before they got left behind lol:D None of that booze was drunk by us and all were gifts to family. In GC we made it a point to check a few bottles as to not have to deal with them for a few days.

Moral of this story...if you have a few bottles that you are wanting to drink then it is possible to make it passed the check-in. I highly do not recommend it. That would be embarressing if caught. If you have no problem with checking in your booze and find a line and 'accidently' just walk on by, no harm no foul.

The worst that will happen in any case is they take your booze and give it back to you the last day of the trip. If you buy booze at a duty-free place go about it knowing that you plan to turn it in when you board. You may walk on by but then you have to keep that booze in your room taking up space. In GC I found it better to just let the cruiseline keep it for me. They give it back in time to allow you to pack it securely to avoid it breaking in the luggage.

Archived