"Don't Miss" foods on NCL?

laura1960

We'll be on the NCL Jewel for 9N in March. Any suggestions on where to eat the first night?

I was thinking along the lines of Mama's b/c its so close (we're in an aft mini suite on deck 11). That way we can relax, unpack, and watch sail away from our very first balcony.

I noticed a recommendation for veal scallopini. What else?

I'm sorry to hear about cagney's. I hope its not like that accross the board. I'd like to do a "no kids" dinner there but I'd be disappointed to pay the surcharge and get a subpar steak.

Just got back from the Dawn. Here are some observations:

Cagney's was disappointing. The steaks do NOT rival those from top steak houses. Ours was just above Denny's quality. The filet and T-bone were overcooked and a bit tougher than expected. Whenever you need steak sauce, it's not that good. And don't let them give you that awful HP sauce in lieu of A1. On a positive, the lobster was tasty.

I loudly second the food at the 24 hour Blue Lagoon. The chicken wings are addictive! The tomato soup was also very good. I even liked the runny artichoke/spinach dip (closest thing to nachos, which I was craving) and the dry chicken sandwich. Opt for the potato salad over the coleslaw. The won ton noodle soup was average and salty. My biggest disappointment was the overhyped fish and chips. The fish is well portioned and meaty, but that batter was too thick and VERY greasy tasting. Chicken wings all the way.

That's a first for me hearing that Cagney's was disappointing. hmmm:confused:

Blue Lagoon is the yummy!!! Best thing about our last time on the Dawn.:D

Just got back from the Dawn. Here are some observations:

Cagney's was disappointing. The steaks do NOT rival those from top steak houses. Ours was just above Denny's quality. The filet and T-bone were overcooked and a bit tougher than expected. Whenever you need steak sauce, it's not that good. And don't let them give you that awful HP sauce in lieu of A1. On a positive, the lobster was tasty.

I loudly second the food at the 24 hour Blue Lagoon. The chicken wings are addictive! The tomato soup was also very good. I even liked the runny artichoke/spinach dip (closest thing to nachos, which I was craving) and the dry chicken sandwich. Opt for the potato salad over the coleslaw. The won ton noodle soup was average and salty. My biggest disappointment was the overhyped fish and chips. The fish is well portioned and meaty, but that batter was too thick and VERY greasy tasting. Chicken wings all the way.

That's a first for me hearing that Cagney's was disappointing. hmmm:confused:

Blue Lagoon is the yummy!!! Best thing about our last time on the Dawn.:D

Denny quality, not quite, I think the poster was exagerating a little. I don't think it is as good as LE bistro, but certainly not Denny's or anything close. Yes, food is so subjective, I would put the fish and chips at the top of my list, and you were not impressed. This shows how different our taste buds can be.

Nita

depending on the ship here are the things we looks forward to eating:

Blue Lagoon, Fish and Chips, and wings

Main dining rooms: eggs benedict and the cold soups (at least I love them, not DH particularly) the best avacado soup with cilantro.

Le Bistro: fondue, mushroom soup and escargot

Italian dining: Osso bocco (spelling) hubby says it is the best, I love the antipasto bar as well as the shrimp pasta dish.

Asian: pork ribs as an appitizer

Main dining room for dinner: the surf and pasta dish one of the last nights (next to the last I believe)

Lox every morning at the buffet plus great waffles.

Buffet salad bar at lunch

NIta

Have to agree about the steak at Cagneys being a disappointment. Out of the 4 times we ordered steak (2 breakfast, once lunch, once dinner) 3 times the steak was overdone.

The biggest disappointment was for dinner because we ordered the 32oz porterhouse for two. Medium rare. Half was at best medium and the tenderloin part was well done. That cow was ruined (no pink - so its not being subjective only objective). We were with a large group and sort of did as best we could. Sending it back would have disrupted the meal for everyone else.

I would say that those that got the ribeye seemed happy with it. Not sure how they ordered it.

I would say don't miss the Oso Buco at Trattoria (or the anti pasto cart). Actually, everything we had there was very good. The pasta with a sauce of capers/olives/anchovies/marinara was salty but oh so good. Have them add a little extra olive oil to smooth out the saltiness.

Ah, so it's just a big stick shaped pretzel? MMMM! Will definitely have to try them. Are they offered all day long and where are they?

Thanks!

They were in the Garden Cafe (buffet) by the fresh breads. I think the other side of the station was where you could buy bottled beer. The sign above it, I think, was BAKERY. They had a selection of breads -- my favorite was the french bread cut on a diagonal.

Also, if you remember this part, on the salad bar is a selection of cheeses.... in a little ball surrounded by foil there is a cream cheesy looking substance that is quite spreadable (I think it was camembert -- that's what the sign said above it, but don't quote me) and it had lots of yummy herbs in it. Try that spread on your french bread. Mmmm!

Back to the filet mignon at Cagney's....

My husband and I both ordered it medium rare. It was cooked right -- maybe even a little more on the rare side. We didn't mind that part. The problem was that there was no seasoning on it and they were not cuts that were easily cuttable.... it was definitely tougher than it should've been. So, the flavor was just all meat, you know? No saltiness or butteryness.

I should've gotten the ribeye I guess to see how that one was cooked. ;)

Having had a not so good t-bone and seeing the t-bone and porterhouse precut and vacuum packed in boxes at a couple of the ship provisioning expos I stick to the steaks that have a chance of being cut onboard.

The mini fillet at b,fast have always been very good very rare, cut with a fork.

Last dinner asked, rib eye or prime, told rib eye, asked for it to be rare and blacked since I like a bit of spice and it was great.

With the rest of the options at Cagnies being so good the larger steak options can just be too much.

Yummy it all sounds good... cait wait to try for myself.. Do they have kid friendly menu's? I have a 7 yr old who is a very picky eater just wondering..

I know they have a special kid area in the buffet and special items on the room service menu.... so I imagine that they have a kid friendly menu when you show up at a sit down restaurant, too.

The chicken strips are great btw. :)

We took our children and grandchildren on the Dawn. Our youngest granddaughter cannot eat anything with any dairy products in it. They made her meals from scratch. All you have to do is speak to whoever is in charge in the dining room and ask for things yourchild is happy with and they really do a great job of delivering.

You just have to ask the right person.

Foie gras stuffed chicken at Le Bistro could be the best meal I've ever had. It was amazing. And I'm not a chicken person.

Please tell me more! This dish peaked my interest and I've never had liver anything so I'm not sure I'd like it. But I'm a big Iron Chef fan..who hasn't heard of foie gras?

A year ago we sailed NCL Pearl and loved the seafood medley in the main dining room. It consisted of shrimp, lobster, and scallops in a delicious cream sauce. We also adored the steak terriyaki, tempura, and hot'nsour soup in the Asian restaurant--not Teppanyaki where they cook at your table but at the adjoining restaurant (may have been called Ginza).

Has anyone mentioned the french fries from San Marco Grill (Majesty)? Friggin' faboo.

Every morning smoked salmon with capers and onion served with a bagel and cream cheese in 7 Seas.

Sushi offered on sea days. Not only delicious, but a beautiful presentation.

Meat Lasagna from the Italian restaurant.

I need to have my mouth wired shut till our April cruise so I can eat all these great suggestions!! Coka.. pass the scoops, would ya?

Please tell me more! This dish peaked my interest and I've never had liver anything so I'm not sure I'd like it. But I'm a big Iron Chef fan..who hasn't heard of foie gras?

I've not had this dish... but I do love foie gras. I realize it is "liver," fatted duck or goose liver to be exact, but it is not like any other liver I've ever had.

Yummy it all sounds good... cait wait to try for myself.. Do they have kid friendly menu's? I have a 7 yr old who is a very picky eater just wondering..

NCL Gem is set up to accommodate kids. Children have a supervised Kid's Club for activities. On Deck there is a separate fenced in kid's pool. Between the Garden Cafe Buffet and the Great Outdoors Buffet is an area with specially designed child size tables and stools and a child friendly buffet with a TV that plays the Cartoon Network.

tree_top-a.jpg.56ce41fa5466cb94443d247dbb3cd2b4.jpg

kid_deck_pool.jpg.e10ad5383a4214bdb2e7195c3f48c642.jpg

kid_buffet.jpg.61e5018461af599d98695ea2d7de2263.jpg

As i said in page 2, I am definitely NOT a chicken fan, but a big foie gras fan. It is just a very fatty goose liver, doesn't have a "liver" taste like other livers - if you like fatty foods, you will probably LOVE it. (I know the moral implications of the food, but chef Anthony Bourdain has a great philosophy about it, and it's so very good). Put it inside a chicken breast and add a chef who knows how to cook the chicken perfectly and it was divine. I had it three times, so I know it wasn't a fluke lol. The foie gras appetizer is pretty good as well, but not like a great seared foie gras, more like a pate. Unfortunately, I have very expensive taste in food, aside from foie gras, my other favorites include GOOD Uni (sea urchin, when it's good its great, when it's bad it's awful), abalone, Kobe beef, foam sauces, and truffle. While NCL doesn't have the best meals I have ever had, some of them are truly spectacular - especially in Le Bistro. For us Cagney's is a good, but not necessarily great, meal - kinda boring actually. The Asian restaurants are pretty good - teppanyaki is fun but ordinary, but the sushi bar and asian menu can be very good. The food in most of the Italian restaurants is good, but Il Adagio on the Sun is fantastic. We don't eat often in the main dining rooms, but we have had meals ranging from "eh" to very good when we did.

Robin

I appreciate the reply! I will definately be having this dish...along with a bowl of mushroom soup!

Since most feel Cagney's is just ok (with a couple of hoorah's thrown in)...can anyone recommend a specific dish there? My two favorite cuts are filet mignon and prime rib, with strip steak as a close second.

I appreciate the reply! I will definately be having this dish...along with a bowl of mushroom soup!

Since most feel Cagney's is just ok (with a couple of hoorah's thrown in)...can anyone recommend a specific dish there? My two favorite cuts are filet mignon and prime rib, with strip steak as a close second.

Start with the Shrimp Cocktail, Oysters Rockefella and the Tuna carpaccio,

follow that with the Lobster Bisque or the Clam Chowder.

The new choc pud. is not as good as the previous one, so stick with the Banana Foster.

Archived