platinum status galveston

We drove by the terminal on Wednesday of this past week. There were white tents in the parking area, not sure what they were there for. Still dumpsters in the parking area. Hubby is here working Hurricane Ike losses. The parking lots off premises are clear, so people wanting to park their cars should be fine. We didn't see the debris around the terminal that we saw when we first got down on the island. It has been almost three months since the hurricane. I would think that the teminal should be up and running by now. We aren't talking about tons of foo foo that was in the terminal. Now if RCI waited to get people in to fix the elevator and the escalators to get you on the ship, then they might have had a problem.

We are hearing from business as well as private home owners about the back log of reputable contractors to do work. Tried booking a cruise this evening and couldn't......hhhmmm no hurricanes in Florida why did I get this cabin isn't available???? Guess I will call a TA friend of mine and let him book it for me. RCI losses the direct booking when I have to do that.

Galveston isn't back to normal, and people will see that when they come into cruise. I applaud the city and the people that live there on their determination to come back. I just did laundry, in our RV Park, with a person that had a house on Bolivar. They have nothing left, but she did say that she has her smile. I love her attitude, they will rebuild at some point.

Hey BecciBoo! Jeff and I will have to meet my fellow CBCers before the ship comes in. We won't be checking in guests anymore, unless they want an upgrade :)

The terminal should be up and running as we start working in less than a week. The spirit of the citizens here are phenomenal. Galveston College reopened on October 8th and there was a student who was living in a car and still going to school.

The terminal should be up and running as we start working in less than a week. The spirit of the citizens here are phenomenal. Galveston College reopened on October 8th and there was a student who was living in a car and still going to school.

I think the entire town will be back better than before. I am watching the entire area hit by Ike thumb there nose at the storm. When I say entire area, I am saying from Beaumont to Sargent Texas. Some have just a little damage, others have roofs gone and mold growing on the walls. People will rebuild in this area and say "in your face IKE".

I hope to meet you if we take a cruise to celebrate our anniversary. I love Galveston, as it is the first cruise that we took, on the Rhapsody. We have been loyal to RCI, just wish they had left a cruise ship here year round. We sailed on the Splendour to the Panama Canal out of Galveston.

Sure wish the powers to be would use Galveston as a port to go to Mexican Riveria as well as the PC again. I could do a 12/14 day cruise out of Galveston time and time again......Oh gosh we are supposed to be talking about the terminal.....

why did I get this cabin isn't available???? quote]

Driftwood: I got the same thing this evening for Oasis. I stupidly thought the cruises I picked were sold out completely. That means it was a computer glich!!! Ha Ha !!!

Erica: does this mean you are pier co-ordinator:D Will you be at the desk as you enter the doors or somewhere else. We may definitely be up for an upgrade!!!!;)

Driftwood: we have the same history. And ditto on the ship. If Splendour had stayed in Texas we'd already be diamond by now

Actually Splendour was a 12 night cruise for us to the Panama Canal for us. We haven't had the honor of sailing on her again. I would love to see Glaveston as a port that has the longer sailings again. The shortest cruise we have been on was a three night on the Majesty backed by an eleven night on the Brillance. Our other cruises tend to be B2B seven night cruises or a longer cruise. We were boxed in by our business to our days off in January and February. We are semi retired now, so the flight costs will now determine our cruises. I would love to see some other cruises out of Galveston besides what they have now. I think Texas and states that can drive here with luggage can support other venues. Guess it will boil down to where the bucks are and what pays the bills. Also, the people that want to cruise, and not go to the exotic places....just be on a ship. Isn't that why they are building the bigger ships?

Here is hoping Texas gets a ship year round. Now as a stockholder I guess I want them to do what they think will get the stock back to the price I bought it at.

Erica-

Did most of the students return to class? I wonder with the displacement of folks if that caused more problems with full classes and good professors there...

Look forward to saying howdy...last check there is still several upgrade cabins we can get, although in 3 weeks lots can happen... We will stop by and say howdy if the desk is not too busy. I plan for us to be among the first aboard to begin relaxing after all the work I have had going on...

Galveston College lost 1/3 of its students so far. With UTMB closing much of its operations, GC's nursing program is sure to suffer as well. My instructors have told us that they are expecting to cut 50% of the classes and they have invoked the financial exigency clause in their contract so even tenured instructors are fair game for having classes cut.

You can definitely tell that there is some sort of post-traumatic stress going on. It seems like everyone is scattered, stressed and is having a hard time focusing. Most instructors decided that it was a bad idea to hold classes on the weekend and have instead had more stuff to study outside of class to make up for the missed 4 weeks.

Archived