A questionf for the locals

galipemi

Ok, and anyone else who might know.

I will be staying in New Orleans the night prior to my cruise on the NCL Spirit. We (family group of 8) will be staying at the JW Marriott on Canal St. (Got a GREAT rate on Priceline **$50!). I'm wondering what's in the immediate area that we should see and when someone says walking distance, what kind of time are we talking? I'm unfamiliar with the area since none of us has ever been so looking at the map doesn't really give me an idea.

Ie: is it safe to walk from the hotel to the French Quarter? Is it close enough to walk (under 15-20min)?

Thanks in advance to anyone who might answer!

Michelle

Ok, and anyone else who might know.

I will be staying in New Orleans the night prior to my cruise on the NCL Spirit. We (family group of 8) will be staying at the JW Marriott on Canal St. (Got a GREAT rate on Priceline **$50!). I'm wondering what's in the immediate area that we should see and when someone says walking distance, what kind of time are we talking? I'm unfamiliar with the area since none of us has ever been so looking at the map doesn't really give me an idea.

Ie: is it safe to walk from the hotel to the French Quarter? Is it close enough to walk (under 15-20min)?

JW is in an excellent location for sightseeing - and sounds like you got a great deal. You're on the upriver edge on the riverside side of the French Quarter itself. You're within easy walking distance (10 minutes to hours, depending on how many stops you wanna make <G>) to many of the wonders of New Orleans. I think if I only had one night to see the sights I'd just walk around the Quarter - see Jackson Square, Cafe du Monde (eat some beignets & drink some cafe au lait), shop along Decatur or Royal Street, walk down Bourbon Street (just to say you've been there, not for the beauty), walk along the river, eat some seafood, watch people, enjoy the street performers (tip them if they're good, but PLEASE don't tip the bad ones, we want them to go away!!)

Thanks so much for the constructive information Map70065. Very much the info I was looking for. Sounds like a great itinerary for the day, I'll pass it on to the family. We'll be flying in from Toronto and landing at 2pm so we should have loads of time.

May I offer a few recommendations?

southern candymakers (they have a website as well). They are on Decatur in 2 locations. One very close to where you will be staying.

The Praline connection on Frenchman Street. Best Cajun soul food ever.

Red Fish Grille- Best Bread Pudding in NOLA.

Go to Mardi Gras world- it's just across the river in Algiers. Fascinating!

Metairie cemetery cannot be beat. There is just an amazing beauty in this modern cemetery, but St. Louis #1 is the best best best in the city. Very old, very cool! Take a tour- the cemeteries are surrounded by the projects and you want to be there where tours are -- and the police come with the tours!

Check out a katrina tour if you want to see what really happened down there.

Finally if you are interested in some shots... www.photobucket.com/nestcooper

Those are from my halloween trip last year. NOLA is my favorite city and I am trying to move there!!!

We'll be flying in from Toronto and landing at 2pm so we should have loads of time.

If you're arriving at 2pm you won't have as much time as you think. I'll take you about an hour to get to the hotel, check-in, etc. You want to see Jackson Square and Royal Street during daylight hours. That's when they are most active. Bourbon Street is more active at night - that's where the partiers go, so if your group is adult, you may want to go to Pat O'Brien's - a beautiful courtyard bar both during the day and at night. The shops on Royal usually close earlier than the ones on Decatur street. Cafe du Monde is open 24/7, so you can do that anytime - and more than once if you want.

We stayed at the Marriott a couple years ago and it is at most a 10 minute walk to Bourbon St. We felt very safe. Lots of police but just have your wits about you and you will be fine. There are a lot of homeless people all over the place. When you get in go to Cafe Dumond and you should be able to book a walking tour of the area and will see the cemetery, a voodoo lady at her house and get the history of the area. Check other websites and you will find a walking tour and our met at the cafe. Then at night I recommend eating at the Red Fish Grille-great food. Then walk up and down Bourbon to get a taste for the music. We loved the Famous Door bar and went there every night that we were in town. A great band plays classic rock from the 70's, 80's and 90's. Howling at the Moon with the dueling pianos is fun too. You can find a bar playing every kind of music so explore for awhile and see what you like. Have fun!

• 2 years later...

Archived