Bonine for kids?

Jajone

I've read in a lot of threads about taking bonine. Where do I find it and does it come in a dose for kids?

There isn't children's bonine. I asked my pediatrician about sea sickness and she said that kids don't ususally get sick, but if they do, give them anything ginger (candy, pops, ale) or try to the sea bands. (the bracelets that have pressure points on them)....

It is correct that younger children typically don't get sea sick.

With that said, there is indeed Children's Bonine.

Normally, Bonine for adults is available at most pharmacies. I am not sure about the one for children but I just looked at Drugstore.Com and they have it there. Go to this URL

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=154238&catid=40372

I would talk with the children's doctor about this before purchasing it just to get his/her thoughts.

Keith

I've used the Bonine for Kids for my DD and DS. Wal-Mart carries it, and Target was able to order it for me to pick up the next day even though they don't stock it. The kids' formula is a different chemical than the adult formula (cyclizine vs. meclizine), so it has been approved for children. My kids say it tastes better than Chewable Dramamine but is still a little bitter. It has worked well and doesn't seem to make them drowsy at all.

We caught the tail end of a tropical storm one cruise and we obtained motion sickness meds from the ship's infirmary before the worst of it kicked in. We gave it to the entire family (my kids were 6 and 7 at the time) in the doses suggested by the ship's medical staff.

Boy,were we glad we did! We got a little sleep during the rough night of seas with no illness, just sleeplessness. The next day there were children throwing up all over the kids club (not ours, thankfully).

Taking the meds before the ride got rough prevented our entire family, including the kids, from being miserable on the cruise.

I have a larger child so his doctor suggested he take regular bonnie, but only one tablet. It had no impact on his behavior and did not cause any sleepiness or aggitation. He took it the whole cruise without complaint as he gets motion sickness very easily.

My 11 y.o DS went on a Shark fishing expedition of the coast of Montauk this summer on my dads 45ft boat. Lots of people get seasick for a bit on trips like this! I called my pediatrician and talked to her about options....some of the men were going to wear a patch.

My DR. suggested the childrens bonine. I found it over the counter on the shelf at Walmart. I also packed ginger capsules.

My DS never used the Bonine so unfortunatly I can't report on that but I do agree that it is a good idea to give the pediatrician a quick call and run it by them.

I buy it at Wal-mart and bring it on every cruise just in case. I like the Bonine over Dramamine because it's non-drowsy. The children's version is chewable, and that's what I take myself.

I'd get some for your upcoming cruise...just in case.

I just want to clarify that both the children's and the adult Bonine are both chewable.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

Archived