Changing TA

Remstl

Hi..we booked a March cruise with one online TA, and have found a much better deal with another on line TA. Our final deposit is not due until Jan 6th....Is is possible to switch or transfer the reservation?

We have a PS and JJ reserved and there are still cabins available in both these categories...but of course we would prefer to keep the cabins we have reserved!!

Thanks for your help!!!!:)

I personally have not done this yet but I believe people on this board have with no problems. I am sure someone will be able to help you out. Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome. I for one am interested.

Hi..we booked a March cruise with one online TA, and have found a much better deal with another on line TA. Our final deposit is not due until Jan 6th....Is is possible to switch or transfer the reservation?

We have a PS and JJ reserved and there are still cabins available in both these categories...but of course we would prefer to keep the cabins we have reserved!!

Thanks for your help!!!!:)

Yes, it's possible to switch, but check your current online TA's policys first. Many charge a rather hefty cancellation fee that will be imposed. Sometimes this makes the savings so small, if at all, afterwards, it just isn't worth it. Always check for those fees first before considering transferring.

Yes, it's possible to switch, but check your current online TA's policys first. Many charge a rather hefty cancellation fee that will be imposed. Sometimes this makes the savings so small, if at all, afterwards, it just isn't worth it. Always check for those fees first before considering transferring.
Toto is correct. Double-check your online TA's policy. Also, make sure that the quote you received includes all of the things your current TA has; check it line item by line item to make sure something isn't omitted that would result in a lower cost.

I've changed TAs a couple of times over the years. All you need to do is to give your new TA the booking # and fax a letter to Princess corporate (your new TA will give you the fax #) that you are transferring the booking and give the new TA's name, company, address and phone #. Your new TA will take care of everything for you.

Three years ago we had our cruise booked with an online TA, we found a much better price with someone else. I called Princess to see how to handle this so we would still retain the booking and room that we had. It was very simple. We sent Princess a faxed letter to ask them to take the booking back from the TA to a Princess direct booking. When that was done, which took about 48 hours, we simply advised the other agent to take over the booking from Princess. It was painless and we retained everything as booked and got a much better price with the second TA.

I would suggest that this is the way to go and give a call to Princess to get the info needed for your letter and who to send it to.

Thanks for all the info!!! We are trying to get our TA to match the price (a $900 savings)!!!!! Last resort...we will turn the booking over to Princess and transfer to the new TA. Princess was VERY helpfull about all this. it must happen fairly often!

You don't have to turn your booking over to Princess and then move it to a new TA. Just fax a letter to Princess asking them to transfer your booking from your current TA to your new TA. Include the agency name, TA name, address and phone number for each. Also give them your booking number and tell them not to change your cabins. I've done this several times. It's easy. With a $900 difference even if your current TA charges a cancellation fee you're way ahead of the game.

First, with a $900 difference, you should understand why. That does not seem within reason what might be the difference between travel agent quotes unless this is a long cruise/high category booking. Give the current agency a chance to match it and they will likely explain what the difference is. If they match, take it.

Despite what others claim, the current agency MUST fax a management signed release, on company letterhead, to the cruise line, for a deposited booking to be transferred. Doing otherwise violates the contract between travel agencies and the cruise lines. In the cases mentioned that was likely accomplished without their knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...

Our TA ALWAYS lowers the price for us if we find the cruise has dropped in prices and another agency has it cheaper. I usually just send him a link to the lower fare and he gets is lowered to match, even if his online agency is advertising at a higher cost. Any reputable agent will want to keep your business coming back and this is a good way to insure that. We just got a $750 reduction on our Grand Princess sailing in March and upgraded from an inside to an oceanview. What a surprise for us!

Excuse me for being stupid but where do you find price drops? I have booked through an online TA, (with a great rate and great category), but I am always looking for a better bargain. I don't know how to measure my current fare against any price drops because I really do not know where to look. Help!!:eek:

Excuse me for being stupid but where do you find price drops? I have booked through an online TA, (with a great rate and great category), but I am always looking for a better bargain. I don't know how to measure my current fare against any price drops because I really do not know where to look. Help!!:eek:

I booked online kept monitoring the site. After final payment their prices went down about $150 per person for the balcony cabin. I took a chance and the agent got Princess to to cancel and rebook at the lower rate and without the fuel surcharge. I pretty much went from an inside cabin (which was the same as the obstructed OV) to an aft balcony (Cat BB) for under $250 out of pocket. Normally a balcony and this category would be out of our price range.

kooljamming@yahoo.com

I booked online kept monitoring the site. After final payment their prices went down about $150 per person for the balcony cabin. I took a chance and the agent got Princess to to cancel and rebook at the lower rate and without the fuel surcharge. I pretty much went from an inside cabin (which was the same as the obstructed OV) to an aft balcony (Cat BB) for under $250 out of pocket. Normally a balcony and this category would be out of our price range.

kooljamming@yahoo.com

Good move. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Despite efforts by cruise lines to end price discrepencies, there remain significant differences between booking directly with the line and individual travel agents. Sometimes this is due to Group Bookings, sometimes not. I just saved significantly in booking a cruise on Princess, having checked with several online agents which, despite boasting of offering the best price, could not match the quote I received. I then checked to confirm the agent was a current member of ASTA, CLIA and had the best possible rating from the better business bureau. And, even better, they work weekends (It still amazes me that some of the highest profile online agencies are closed on weekends).

Found your post most interesting. Would you mind contacting me personally at chezgirard@cgocable.ca so that I can ask you some questions about your TA. these are not allowed on CC and I do not wish to break the rules. As you seem to be new to CC, you may choose to look up my profile before answering me.

Thanks,

Archived