Poll: Favorite Port for Southern Carribean

jlane

Of all the great islands on the So. Caribbean track, which is your favorite and why?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Of all the great islands on the So. Caribbean track, which is your favorite and why?

Our favorites were Barbados for the overall island experience and Dominica for the people and beauty. I voted for Barbados, but wished I had 2 choices :) In my opinion, Aruba is very overrated, but I'm sure others would disagree.....

Very tough question. I voted for Barbados as best overall. But all of those islands have a lot going for them. I guess I feel that Barbados has the most variety of things to do. However, Puerto Rico (San Juan is the capital) and St Thomas also have lots to do and see. Dominica has a lot of natural beauty, but is very poor. Aruba is beautiful in a desert type of way, but is very expensive.

I was torn with voting for St. Thomas/St. John and Aruba....two different styles.... I liked Aruba for the night life and that everything was close to the ship so you could walk into town....and the scenery....we did 4x4 jeeping that day and it was a lot of fun... St. Thomas/St. John was very nice...we went to St. Johns via ferry and had a blast at one of the beaches there, snorkeling.... St. Thomas also had a great town!!!...but the ship was docked far and it would have been a long walk.

I've been to Aruba twice and loved it. It has the best of the Caribbean (beaches, always great weather, fantastic snorkelling) with a little bit of Europe. I find the shopkeepers very pleasant and enjoy not being constantly hassled by people trying to sell me something. A close second would be St. John. The water is absolutely amazing for swimming and sailing. Next time I'm there, I won't even bother with St. Thomas and just head straight for St. John. The only Caribbean island I really dislike is Jamaica.

Well not to be nasty, but they can just skip Matinque for all I care. The

people were rude and crude. I thought Carnival was going to take that

off the itenerary. Buy your booze at St Maarten. It doesn't get any cheaper

than there.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for not listing those additional islands. This is my first cruise to the southern caribbean and I was listing the island on my itinerary.

Thanks everyone for the great input. My next southern carib cruise will have to include one of the other islands mentioned

I'd have to vote for any island that is the LEAST like here at home. So far I'd say Dominica and St. Lucia. I don't care about shopping or Carlos & Charlies. I get a little upset when I read on the boards, "don't bother getting off the ship". Usually it's because the area is rather poor and a lot of Americans are uncomfortable with that. Remember that this is what life is like for a great portion of the planet. Dominica & St. Lucia have a great deal of natural beauty. They don't yet have the slick shopping arcades of Cozumel or Grand Caymen, and that's something that really appeals to me.

Jamie

Archived