B2B or One-way cruise + land tour

boulders

I will be taking a cruise to Alaska with my 3 kids this summer. The kids ages range from 3-13. We're going in mid-June. I am trying to decide if we should take a B2B or do a 4 day independent land tour at the end of a Northbound cruise. If we do a land tour, we would stay one night in Seward, go to Denali for 3 nights to do the Tundra Wilderness tour and the Husky Homestead and see Gold Dredge #8 before our flight leaves from Fairbanks.

The cruises are 7 nights on Radiance of the Seas with stops in Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau and Icy Strait. The costs are the same with either option. I am tempted by the B2B because of the low-hassle factor. I would love not to have to pack and unpack.There are enough shore excursions, independent and ship led that we would be interested in for 2 stops. But, will we be missing out on a lot by not seeing Denali?

I think you are the one that has to decide that because you know your childrens interest.

When we went with grand daughter 5 & 9 years old they were great with the plane ride and ship. Not sure that the 5 year old would have done well with the land tour because scenery is not of interest for 4 days. She did love the train in Skagway and the whales in Juneau. The ship offers alternatives for the young ones and they loved it. I also agree that with all of your packing and unpacking it might not be a very relaxable trip.

I would like to do the land tour one day but I think if any children go along they would have to be older and willing.:)

I think it depends on the luck of the day. You will read post where one person's excursion was filled with wildlife and another may not have seen any. The wildlife is more abundant at different times of the year.

Read and search the boards and you will find alot of information about each port for excursions, whether independent or through the cruise line. You may be a little limited this first time with a 3 year old. It depends upon their personality and stamina. The days can be long.

For us the wildlife viewing, glaciers, beautiful scenery and laided back atmosphere is what is bringing us back to Alaska for a 3rd time.:D

Frankly, a 3 year old is not appropriate for Denali Park, it is not a zoo. Wildlife is usually way off, requiring binoculars, of which I recommend 10 power. The TWT buses are completely full, stopping about every 90 minutes. Sorry, but a 3 year old just has no interest in scenery and will be intolerable of the confinement. These bus tours are rarely a good choice for under 8.

There is no comparism with wildlife interior Alaska and Inside Passage. Top areas are certainly Denali Park and Kenai Fjords. Whale watching tours out of Juneau are excellent, and fly in bear tours available July- Sept. out of Ketchikan. Otherwise, don't expect much of anything.

Probably in your situation a back to back is a better idea.

Frankly, I wouldn't want to be on a cruiseship with a three year old for 14 days. However, I am not going on this trip, you are. Only you know yourself and your children. I think, I would likely consider a one week round trip with children of your ages.

The Tundra Wilderness Tour is a LONG and boring trip for any small child. You will be trapped on a full school bus for hours on end with no where to go and not much for a 3 year old to do but get cranky. Don't mean to burst your bubble but do yourself a favor and choose another alternative.

Seeing Denali was exciting but, except for The Great One, if you've been above timberline in Colorado or another northwestern state, you've seen the type of scenery you will see on this trip. The possibility of seeing extensive wildlife is a crap shoot. The only animals we saw were caribou and moose ( and those in limited numbers).

Thanks everyone. Looks like even I might be bored on the Denali tour. .

oh no!!! never boring. every trip i've been on has included a disfunctional family that is more than willing to be vocal about each and everyone of their various foibles. though it would be a real bummer if you were that family.

but you know your stimuli and the value of your time. i like reading a newspaper and occationally looking out the window of a train or ferryboat. fortunately, my brother does not.

Truth was everything that was included in myl and tour was ok. also never saw the mtsa. But whati did on my own was fun. flightseeing and landing over the circle plus white water rafting and Jeff King.

i said then I should of done two weeks on hte ship. So i am going back next year.

Archived