How early do you start packing?

BroncosFan2010

I made it a personal goal to pack just 1 large suitcase for DH and I, plus a garment bag. However, after successfully getting everything into one suitcase and a garment bag, I was 8 lbs over the weight limit. There was NOTHING I could get rid of. I had it down to the bare necessities. DH told me it was okay and we could just take two suitcases.... I guess I get to pack even more now!!! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, my name is Michelle and I am an early packer! I have had this problem for several years now :D, and I too used to have a guest bedroom, which is currently labeled the packing room. I usually start throwing things in my suitcase about 5 months out. I know, I know. My packing list is available to me even earlier than that. I love having my suitcase packed, until my hubby sees it! I usually at that time have to redo it a couple of times :rolleyes: I don't understand him not letting me carry 3 suitcases!

Happy packing everyone, glad to know I am not the only one,

Michelle

:rolleyes:Now the question is how do we convicen our husbands (or wives if there are any males who pack early) that we are not crazy and really do need to pack very early?

Maybe if we refuse to pack for them and they get on the ship and don't have their favorite pair of shorts they will learn??? :p;)

Yay for packing! My family and friends laugh at me because I pack tooooo early.(they say) But when they need something, who do they turn to? Also, it seems that I am in charge of all the extras, like balloons or art supplies. I think the packing adds to the anticipation. Just like getting ready for a wedding...plan plan plan and it is over in a blink!

The early packers are usually married to the procrastinators. I'm late this year, having started to pack only last weekend (6 1/2 weeks out). To me it's simply part of the fun of getting ready for a cruise. Of course the few most wrinkle-prone things go in at the last minute. Part of my time-tested "system" is to start early and gradually take things out again so that we're left with a "minimalist" suitcase (yes, one very large one for the both of us), it has worked for the last 14 cruises, even the 2 and 3 week ones in recent years.:D

Mokaheena, we must be twins!! I also have a packing list for my carry-on and get this-----my purse as well!! Can you believe???

226 days until my cruise and I have already looked over my list twice :D Actually, when we are on a cruise I take my list with me and jot down things I needed(can you believe I MAY have forgotten something?) or things I could have done without. I am always writing and rewriting THE LIST!! Just part of the vacation fun for me.

Take care,

Michelle

Early packer here also, and an overpacker I might add. I had to smile with the earlier posts. Our guest bedroom is also the packing room. Cruise clothes are hanging in this room as well as garmet bags, personel items etc are in a carry on----hey, you never know when you may need them!! I usually start gathering several months out.

I have started packing some "little" things that I want to remember... Just have a bag hanging on my closet door with a few things it in. Our cruise is still 2 months away.... but I have one suitecase out ready and waiting! I am so excited!! I too, am from Michigan (north of Grand Rapids)... and this weather is really getting to me!!

My wife will leave things until the last minute. I will get the suit cases out a month before we leave. The list was made up the day we put a deposit down for the cruise which was over a year ago. It is better that way because you have ideas of what you want to take so i write them down before i forget. My wife keeps telling me that is why she keeps me around. :). Is it 30 days yet. We leave April 12, 2009.

My wife will leave things until the last minute. I will get the suit cases out a month before we leave. The list was made up the day we put a deposit down for the cruise which was over a year ago. It is better that way because you have ideas of what you want to take so i write them down before i forget. My wife keeps telling me that is why she keeps me around. :). Is it 30 days yet. We leave April 12, 2009.

Wow! Welcome to the dark side! Most of the responses here are from women who pack early and their husbands think they are crazy! It is glad to see women are not alone in their need to be planners and early packers! I wish I could get my husband to help with the early packing! :D

I am an early packer and will always be an early packer! I start packing 3 to 4 weeks before the cruise. In the suitcase that I always use, I leave my beach type stuff (ie goggles, bag, suntan lotion, clean suits). As the cruise draws closer, I start making a list and packing that stuff. During the summer my family and I decided if we are going away that year for Christmas, then I pack up those outfits separatly from the rest of my summer clothing in the fall.

I've always been a last minute girl; but since discovering CC last week... everything that we are taking is now resting on the bed in the guest room. It appears that we will not be flying to FL; but will be taking a U-Haul.

I also have lists everywhere around the house. I need to get calmed down and get myself and my stuff together.

I do hold all of you happy and helpful cruisers completely responsible for all of this. :p

I've always been a last minute girl; but since discovering CC last week... everything that we are taking is now resting on the bed in the guest room. It appears that we will not be flying to FL; but will be taking a U-Haul.

I also have lists everywhere around the house. I need to get calmed down and get myself and my stuff together.

I do hold all of you happy and helpful cruisers completely responsible for all of this. :p

Welcome to CC and welcome to this board! Is this your first cruise? I am sure that many of us CC'ers would be happy to help you figure out what you NEED to pack. These boards are a wealth of information. I am so glad I found them early before this year's cruise!

Lists are great. While I myself don't pack clothes until the day before, I have them planned out. I have a shoe organizer that I have in the laundry room closet with the outfits that I plan to bring behind it. Being in the cold midwest I don't wear many of them as I too book cruises during the winter to get away from the cold. A list in one of the pockets with what I need to bring. In other pockets are small shampoos, toothpaste, and other toiletry items. as well as the small items that I need to bring. I also bring the organizer to help with clutter on the ship. Sometimes I have had to pack last minute for a family of 5, so prepared is the way to go.

Mokaheena, we must be twins!! I also have a packing list for my carry-on and get this-----my purse as well!! Can you believe???

This is great, I pack for our vacations so early that it drives my DH nuts.

Would you be willing to share your packing lists?

I am a cruise newbie and we are still in the planning stage as we are waiting on the state of my DH's job to actually book our cruise but I have started a packing list from the website. Some of the things people take make me laugh.

Thanks,

GingerSue

Archived