How early do you start packing?

BroncosFan2010

Ok one question here, How do you get everything into one suitcase and not be heavy?

Never done this before and its getting interesting as the more I think I need something man my suit case is getting heavy:(

Ok one question here, How do you get everything into one suitcase and not be heavy?

Never done this before and its getting interesting as the more I think I need something man my suit case is getting heavy:(

I think the saying on these boards is to take 1/2 as many clothes as you think you will need, and twice as much cash! LOL

I have not tried taking only one bag, I cannot do it! Perhaps this next cruise I can manage to have much lighter luggage!

I always say I'm going to start packing 2 weeks before the cruise but always end up having to wash clothes & find my summer clothes, so I actually start packing a week before. I always write out a list of what I'm taking a few weeks before the cruise.

I start about a month before. My husband laughs at me. My list usually starts about 2 months out :p

My guest bedroom becomes the cruise room. Everything gets hung up of folded neatly till it's time.

I also have the "cruise room" as my husband calls it. We have never had anyone actually stay in that room, so it is forever filled with things that only exist because we cruise (flippers, water shoes, binoculars, etc). The suitcases are perpetually in that room, anxiously awaiting the next cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
Does that mean packing time!! :D

Yes, this time we will have two weeks to 'put stuff on the bed', but we don't pack 'til the day before we leave home.

One time however we had to clear the bed in a hurry!!!:D

john

Yes, this time we will have two weeks to 'put stuff on the bed', but we don't pack 'til the day before we leave home.

One time however we had to clear the bed in a hurry!!!:D

john

HAHA! I have a "cruise box" that I am keeping in the guest room. I am filling it with things I will want to pack on the cruise, that I can't see myself using before then. I recently found some great deals on travel sized toiletries and other travel needed things. I am already starting to fill that box!

Luckily we have a spare bedroom now that both kids have married and moved out....I use that closet to put things for our cruise (which is still a loooonng way off), but as the summer season comes to a close I will be putting stuff back in there for our cruise. I don't think it is ever too early to start packing!:)

Luckily we have a spare bedroom now that both kids have married and moved out....I use that closet to put things for our cruise (which is still a loooonng way off)' date=' but as the summer season comes to a close I will be putting stuff back in there for our cruise. I don't think it is ever too early to start packing!:)[/quote']

I agree, as we start getting ready for the next cruise as soon as we return from the most recent cruise.

I'm a "list maker".

My Bride is a shopper.

I have a very lengthy list of stuff to bring, and my dear Bride started clothes shopping 2 months ago (the day after we booked the cruise!)

I'm certain that she has 30 (or more) new outfits for a 7 day cruise!

She gets one suitcase (obviously the larger of the two!), and I the other.

I suspect that we will start "packing" (or should I say "jamming"?) this Sunday.

I've also printed out address labels, so that I can ship stuff home as we "acquire" it.....I do understand that there is no way that I will be able to carry home all of the "great bargains" that she will find on the islands.....

Such is my lot, but after 40 years together, I think that I shall keep her (at least for another 40 years, or so!)

I'm a "list maker".

My Bride is a shopper.

I have a very lengthy list of stuff to bring, and my dear Bride started clothes shopping 2 months ago (the day after we booked the cruise!)

I'm certain that she has 30 (or more) new outfits for a 7 day cruise!

She gets one suitcase (obviously the larger of the two!), and I the other.

I suspect that we will start "packing" (or should I say "jamming"?) this Sunday.

I've also printed out address labels, so that I can ship stuff home as we "acquire" it.....I do understand that there is no way that I will be able to carry home all of the "great bargains" that she will find on the islands.....

Such is my lot, but after 40 years together, I think that I shall keep her (at least for another 40 years, or so!)

I love it! Do you find it cheaper to ship things home from your location rather than try to pack them? I had not thought of it, but see it as a possible option.

Make sure to pack part of her stuff in your suitcase and vice versa! You would not want to loose a bag and be without the necessities for a few days!

Have a great trip!

I love it! Do you find it cheaper to ship things home from your location rather than try to pack them? I had not thought of it, but see it as a possible option.

Make sure to pack part of her stuff in your suitcase and vice versa! You would not want to loose a bag and be without the necessities for a few days!

Have a great trip!

I doubt very seriously if mailing the "bargains" home is cost effective, however, it certainly makes my life easier (no extra bags to wrestle with), and it keeps my bride content. I simply turn her loose (within reason, of course) and then we find a local Post Office and mail the stuff home!

As for adding a few items of mine to her luggage, and she doing the same to mine...that's good advice, however I've tried that...soon...there is no room in my luggage for me!

USPS has fairly large "Flat Rate" boxes that will hold quite a bit, and the postage is the same, regardless of the weight or distance.

Typically, our "bargains" arrive home before we do.

I doubt very seriously if mailing the "bargains" home is cost effective, however, it certainly makes my life easier (no extra bags to wrestle with), and it keeps my bride content. I simply turn her loose (within reason, of course) and then we find a local Post Office and mail the stuff home!

As for adding a few items of mine to her luggage, and she doing the same to mine...that's good advice, however I've tried that...soon...there is no room in my luggage for me!

USPS has fairly large "Flat Rate" boxes that will hold quite a bit, and the postage is the same, regardless of the weight or distance.

Typically, our "bargains" arrive home before we do.

Is it usually easy to find a post office in port? We will be sailing in the Southern Caribbean, and I am thinking to make room for things we like to buy on a B2B, we will probably want to mail some things home. It has to be cheaper than paying for an overweight suitcase!

Is it usually easy to find a post office in port? We will be sailing in the Southern Caribbean, and I am thinking to make room for things we like to buy on a B2B, we will probably want to mail some things home. It has to be cheaper than paying for an overweight suitcase!

I'm sorry, I can't answer about the Caribbean. We normally travel to Alaska or Las Vegas.

This will be our first trip to Hawaii (actually, our first cruise!), and I'm certain that we'll be able to find USPS or UPS on any of the islands.

Actually, I'm surprised (and a bit disappointed) that someone more knowledgeable than I didn't pick up on this thread, as I would be interested in knowing, as well!

I'm sorry, I can't answer about the Caribbean. We normally travel to Alaska or Las Vegas.

This will be our first trip to Hawaii (actually, our first cruise!), and I'm certain that we'll be able to find USPS or UPS on any of the islands.

Actually, I'm surprised (and a bit disappointed) that someone more knowledgeable than I didn't pick up on this thread, as I would be interested in knowing, as well!

Maybe the recent activity on this thread will open it up to people who can answer our questions. Or, I may start a new thread and see if I can get any responses.

Have fun on your first cruise! You will be addicted!

We booked in July and we are not away until November. I would love to started packing straight away, but I dont have enough room to do put all the choices out.

So I will probably really pack the last couple of weeks in October, but my list are already just about finished

• 5 weeks later...

We leave in one day less then 3 months before our cruise. I am so excited! I think half of the fun of a trip is the preparation so I am going to haul the suitcase up from storage and leave it in the guest room to throw things in as I think of them. Then I will sort it all out and pack "for real" a few days before the cruise!

Archived