San Juan 2 pm - 8pm

Does anyone know if they will do anything differently with main dining room seating when we are in San Juan from 2 - 8 pm on the Jewel in December? We have early seating and my daughter is doing an excursion that doesn't get back until 6 or 6:30. Should we plan on eating in the Windjammer instead of the dining room?

Dinner times don't change due to late port departures. When we got back late from a tour we did the Windjammer. However, when we told our server the next night why we were missing, he said we should have come anyways, even if we were late and he would have worked something out. So maybe try the dining room first, and if you can't eat then, then the Windjammer. It's worth a try!

When we were on Voyager, we knew we were going to be coming back late, and we told our waiter the day before. When we showed up about a half hour late, he was waiting for us, and it took only 2 courses to catch up with the rest of the table. There is plenty of time for each course, so we didn't have to rush.

Normally we prefer the early seating but have noticed that on the Caribbean sailings, late works better if you want to spend more time in the port town. We've gone to the late seating for our Eastern Caribbean cruise because of this. If we get hungry I suppose we'll just have to find something to snack on. I really prefer to eat dinner in the main dining room. For us, it's one of the joys of cruising.

The night before we were in San Juan we let our waiter, Eduardo, know that we wouldn't be in the dining room that port night because we had a tour scheduled. He told us to come anyway - said he was "Fast Eddie" and would take care of us! As it turned out, we were only about a half hour late and our table mates had only beat us there by 5 minutes. And... dinner was excellent!

I agree you should let your waiter know the night before and see what they say. If they do tell you to come on then I would go as long as you are not more than 30 minutes late but I would not go if you are more than 30 minutes late. (Especially if you are at a table that has more than just your family at it.)

Dinner time was pushed back by half an hour for us in Cozumel last week, main seating was at 6:30, not sure if that's unusual or not. Our waiter made a point to encourage us to come even later if we had trouble getting ready by 6:30.

Archived