Tipping for our daughter

honeypie72

We are cruising with our daughter for the first time in January. She is 2 so I understand there will no REQUIRED service charge for her. We would like to add something for her as far as tip. Who would we give this to? I'd like it all to be divided among those who helped us, but don't want to run around with $$. Anyone have any advice?

I believe it is everyone older than 3 that have to pay $12 per person per day.

"On all NCL ships payment of Pre- Paid Service Fee is required. A fixed Service Charge of $10 per person, per day will be added to your onboard account. For children ages 3-12, a $5 per person per day charge will be added to your onboard account: there is no charge for children under the age of three. (A fixed Service Charge of $12 per person, per day will be effective on January 1, 2009)"

I would give NCL a call and ask if they can just add the service charge (or whatever service charge you feel necessary). Great idea, it is such a breath of fresh air to have someone asking how they can tip and not complaining about tipping too much. Good on ya!!

You may be mistaken, I believe I read that the new $12.pp required service charge goes into effect in Jan and it covers everyone children included.

I am sure that someone else will respond that knows for sure.

Children 3 and above

I believe it is everyone older than 3 that have to pay $12 per person per day.

This is what I understand it to be also. Since your daughter is under 3 you could ask them to add the $5 per day for ages 3-12 and the proper people would get their share, There may be some others who you want to tip extra, I know the servers in the dining room always seem to make a fuss over the little ones and try to keep then entertained.:)

I would give NCL a call and ask if they can just add the service charge (or whatever service charge you feel necessary). Great idea, it is such a breath of fresh air to have someone asking how they can tip and not complaining about tipping too much. Good on ya!!

Yes it is very refreshing to realize there will be work involved with your daughter and you want to make sure they get something.:) Remember any tips you give directly to the worker in cash is their to keep, it is not shared with anyone else.

I overheard a lady taking her service charge off because she "couldn't afford it". She also claimed she knew nothing about the $10 per day. I was so steamed :mad:. She and her husband screwed the crew out of $180. Another couple had their service charge reduced to $100 total since they only ate in the buffet for 9 days. That's $5.55 pp for 9 days. I hung around the Pursers deck on the 8th day to watch the cheap b*stards taking off the service charge. It's funny how no one had any probelms with the service until day 8 or 9 :rolleyes:.

I overheard a lady taking her service charge off because she "couldn't afford it". She also claimed she knew nothing about the $10 per day. I was so steamed :mad:. She and her husband screwed the crew out of $180. Another couple had their service charge reduced to $100 total since they only ate in the buffet for 9 days. That's $5.55 pp for 9 days. I hung around the Pursers deck on the 8th day to watch the cheap b*stards taking off the service charge. It's funny how no one had any probelms with the service until day 8 or 9 :rolleyes:.

WOW thats unreal. I wouldn't be able to stand there and not say something to someone. I wonder if anyone has tried to get their port tax back because they didn't get off the boat! HA

I gave each of the 4 kids club workers for my daughter's group $5/day (20$/day total) for the the 6 days she was in kids club.

Also the service charge does not cover the Kid's Club. So once your child is 3 you will need to pay $12 per day, plus a tip for the Kid's Club workers.

We are cruising with our daughter for the first time in January. She is 2 so I understand there will no REQUIRED service charge for her. We would like to add something for her as far as tip. Who would we give this to? I'd like it all to be divided among those who helped us, but don't want to run around with $$. Anyone have any advice?

Pretty much you will have to decide the last day or so who you would like to tip extra and give them the money in an envalope..

Nita

I would leave an extra couple dollars at restraunts and tip your steward little extra at the end. If you could add $12/day to the general pool for her it would only amount to 5 cents a day or less per tipped employee.

Nice gesture I suppose, but what is the point of a "tip" when no one even knows they got it? (considering they would not be expecting anything from someone under 3).

Just wanted to say kudo's to you for being a considerate person. YOU are the kind of people I wish we all could cruise with.

Chris.. i agree.. It is so frustraiting. I SO wish NCL would just make it mandatory and leave it at that. Not remove it for anyone.

In addition to what everyone else has suggested, be sure to fill out STYLE cards for those individuals who go above and beyond:D

Ditto.. the crew gets amazing perks, it is a part of their reviews and I have actually read it is part of their pay structure, when they get STYLE cards.

• Administrators

Thankfully that's not the norm now -- and now it's hugely better than it was before. The cruisers you saw are the types who used to say they "had to pack" on the last night of the cruise, ducked the dining room and cabin steward, and didn't tip anybody jack squat in those little envelopes. Now that tips are auto added, and those types of people have to stand in a humongous line to remove them, the crew is making out MUCH better than before. That's why the crews (on all lines) like this system so much -- there are fewer ways to weasel out of paying the tips, and doing so costs you vacation hours (so fewer people do it).

Chris.. i agree.. It is so frustraiting. I SO wish NCL would just make it mandatory and leave it at that. Not remove it for anyone.

First, please note that I have never reduced my service charges and I do tip some people above that amount but I don't agree with the "not remove it for anyone'' because if I got terrible service that does not improve even after complaining, I would definitely go to the front desk and ask them to reduce the charges for this faulty employee. But I would need very good reasons to do so.

Archived