Quick Decision

stampinrobin

I need to make a quick decision: Inspiration out of Tampa or Destiny out of Miami in January.............

Just asking about the ship, not the ports.

Inspiration just came out of refurb and has great reviews, but how much smaller than Destiny is it. Will it be too small? Will it feel crowded?

Just DH and I - late 40's.

ALso, I've only cruised once before (Victory May 08), we stayed in a balcony, but would do an interior on lower deck on this one, since it's a last minute spur of the moment vacation and we would be on a budget. How is it to stay on a lower deck with no view for five days. I think it will be ok, just want to make sure it's not musty or anything!

Thanks

Id pick inspiration, because of the renovated pool area.

Why would you think a inside cabin would smell musty. Have you never been in a closed shop or place on a ship? Iv never thought cabins smelled different, though I prefer a cabin with windows. We did a 5A port hole cabin on Ecstasy last time, this will be our first time inside too on a Fantasy class ship, but since windows dont open, I wouldnt expect it to be different smelling. We are on Empress deck however, we had a 4A guarantee.

Id pick inspiration, because of the renovated pool area.

Why would you think a inside cabin would smell musty. Have you never been in a closed shop or place on a ship? Iv never thought cabins smelled different, though I prefer a cabin with windows. We did a 5A port hole cabin on Ecstasy last time, this will be our first time inside too on a Fantasy class ship, but since windows dont open, I wouldnt expect it to be different smelling. We are on Empress deck however, we had a 4A guarantee.

Because I am the nervous type and an inexperienced cruiser!

Haven't been on either, but here are the specs (passenger # assumes double occupancy):

Destiny (96): 2642 pax; 1000 staff; GT – 101,509; 893 feet

Inspiration (96), 2052 pax; 920 staff; GT – 70,367; 855 feet

My first cruise, we had inside cabin for 7 day cruise. It was fine....not musty or smelly, just dark. We were on Riviera deck, the lowest passenger deck.

We just got off the Inspiration on 12/01 and we loved it. We have also been on Carnival Liberty, a much larger ship, and loved that one too. We never felt crowded on the Inspiration at all. We were on the Main deck in an OV cabin and it was me, DH, and adult DD in one cabin and we never felt crowded and never at all felt crowded anywhere on the ship. We actually prefer the lower deck due to it feeling more stable since DH sometimes has trouble with the ship movement. More stable down on lower decks. We had a fantastic time.

Personally I like Destiny class more than Fantasy class. However, I haven't been on a renovated Fantasy class. I like bigger ships, I feel like there are more options and that it's less constraining. Altho I actually feel like there are more crowds on the bigger ships.

Inside cabins - we almost always get them. So we obviously have no problem with them. There is no bad smell. Have you ever stayed in a hotel room that had windows that don't open? - same thing. We personally aren't in the cabin much, so it isn't worth it for us to pay more for an outside. Plus they're SO dark - I LOVE IT - I can sleep so well!!

hands down, i'd vote destiny...

granted, inspiration is right out of drydock renovation. new waterworks and pool area... but so is destiny... and if it's just DH and you - do you really plan to take advantage of the big 'ole water slide?

destiny is an outstanding value as the only 'big ship' doing the shorter cruises. more space = more stuff. i personally just prefer the more stuff mantra. that also means more people - and not in a bad way. of the 3000 or so people on board - i met 10-20 or so that i'd see all over and hang out with daily - if it were a smaller ship, would that have been 6-12? i don't know.

speaking from personal experience, i was on destiny not long ago - and wouldn't hestitate to book again. and given said experience, i'd book destiny over imagination in a blink.

I've cruised on the Inspiration before renovations and we were just on the Destiny last year...I loved both the ships...my personal pick would be the Destiny just because it's bigger and I thought it was prettier...since the Inspiration was renovated I think the adult area would be a nice place to hang out at...sooooo....I'd recommend to just pick either ship for January and then you'll have an excuse to book a cruise on the other ship at a later date:p

Good Luck and Happy Cruisin':)

I've been on both ships. Inspiration twice before the renovations and loved it. It's the ship that got us hooked on cruising. I was on the Riviera deck first time and had no problems. Can't say about inside cabins since I don't like being closed in.

Just got off the Destiny Sat. and loved it too. Really enjoyed the balcony on the Lido deck. I probably would look at price and itinerary for my decision since I loved both ships and would sail either again.

Enjoy:)

Archived