Hot Glass Experience for Elites on Solstice

Vacationahead

We were on Solstice last week, and received a call one morning from the Captain's Club Hostess announcing a special "shore excursion" for Elite members. On St. Kitts day, they were offering an opportunity to participate in making a piece of glass in the Hot Glass Show area. Also included was a private lunch at Murano, with wine included. The cost of the excursion was $79 per person and there was a limit of 8 participants.

My wife and I had been to most of the Hot Glass Shows at that point, and were amazed at the things these folks were able to do with glass, on a ship no less. So, we rushed down to the Shore Excursion Desk and signed up. We were numbers 5 and 6 of 8. We later heard there was a pretty long waiting list.

The experience began by watching two of the gaffers shape some things out of glass, and then we each had an opportunity to "make" an ornament. Our part in making it was blowing the glass into a round bubble. The pros actually take the glass from the furnace and begin shaping it. We were allowed to choose the colors we wanted for the ornament. Then, they come over to the glass divider (we were on the outside) and we blew into the pipe as instruted. They finished the ornament and put it in the annealing oven. The finished products were delivered to our rooms the next day, packed for travel.

After we were finished with our "artistic" work, they did a couple more pieces, and then we made our way to Murano where we were served a three course meal with wines.

Perhaps others have reported on this experience, but I wanted to write something just in case. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It was a great way to get to know these glass artists a little bit better, and we were able to take home a souvenier that we'll use to remember our cruise by.

Wow your "shore excursion" was amazing. We too were on the ship last week, and we did find the Hot Glass Show very interesting. We can see that this will be very popular. Now, for you to tell us about your experience, we bet that this was the highlight of your trip.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us!:)

Michael and Donna

Sounds like fun!

We go to the island of Murano whenever we're in Venice to take in a glass 'show' and always enjoy it. One of the factories there has master artisans who LOVE to get the audience - especially kids - involved and interested in their work. (Never saw anyone get to blow their own glass, though!!)

Thanks for sharing that!

We were on Solstice last week, and received a call one morning from the Captain's Club Hostess announcing a special "shore excursion" for Elite members. On St. Kitts day, they were offering an opportunity to participate in making a piece of glass in the Hot Glass Show area. Also included was a private lunch at Murano, with wine included. The cost of the excursion was $79 per person and there was a limit of 8 participants.

My wife and I had been to most of the Hot Glass Shows at that point, and were amazed at the things these folks were able to do with glass, on a ship no less. So, we rushed down to the Shore Excursion Desk and signed up. We were numbers 5 and 6 of 8. We later heard there was a pretty long waiting list.

The experience began by watching two of the gaffers shape some things out of glass, and then we each had an opportunity to "make" an ornament. Our part in making it was blowing the glass into a round bubble. The pros actually take the glass from the furnace and begin shaping it. We were allowed to choose the colors we wanted for the ornament. Then, they come over to the glass divider (we were on the outside) and we blew into the pipe as instruted. They finished the ornament and put it in the annealing oven. The finished products were delivered to our rooms the next day, packed for travel.

After we were finished with our "artistic" work, they did a couple more pieces, and then we made our way to Murano where we were served a three course meal with wines.

Perhaps others have reported on this experience, but I wanted to write something just in case. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It was a great way to get to know these glass artists a little bit better, and we were able to take home a souvenier that we'll use to remember our cruise by.

Thanks for sharing this. Sounds great!!! That's what I call rewarding elite members with something worthwhile...

My university has a hot glass program (I'm an art prof), and I got to help make something once in our program. Whooooh. Things are very hot there. It sounds like they are very careful about safety, which is a very good thing because it is quite possible to get burned doing that stuff.

That's $160 for lunch in Muranos--more revenue for the cruiseline on a port day...I'd rather go to St Kitts for a nice lunch...

. Apparently everyone else who posted here thought it was a great idea- so I accept that Celebrity is thinking of other things for folks to do--that it has such a steep price tag is a bit disturbing....seems everything special will cost you these days on X-- I remember when everyone was special...

We really enjoyed the glass-blowing demos on Solstice. I had no idea how hard the glass makers have to work. They all appeared to be in pretty good shape and I could see why. Those rods are so long and must be heavy.

The demos were popular which made me think nice bleachers instead of the flat benches would be a great addition to the area so people can see the actual glass-blowing better. The flat screen TVs were some help, but bleachers would be better. Ivy and bushes could conceal the back of the bleachers from those engaged in activities on the lawn.

While we enjoyed the glass-blowing, I don't think I'd pay all that extra to join in for the special audience participation and meal. Of course, you do get to keep the vases. That is pretty special. While I find the offer expensive, evidently Celebrity had no difficulty getting Elite-level passengers to sign up.

That's $160 for lunch in Muranos--more revenue for the cruiseline on a port day...I'd rather go to St Kitts for a nice lunch...

. Apparently everyone else who posted here thought it was a great idea- so I accept that Celebrity is thinking of other things for folks to do--that it has such a steep price tag is a bit disturbing....seems everything special will cost you these days on X-- I remember when everyone was special...

Wow. Just wow.

I have to say that for me, should I be invited, I probably decline only because I already have a dinner planned in Murano. Otherwise, I would probably conclude that the hands-on experience of glass-blowing, the ornament, and the special meal including wine at Murano would be worth it; and so I'd try to be first in line. [if they offered this in advance, I'd snap it up!]

Clearly a lot of people think it is worth the price (not only on this board, but given the fact that it ended up with a long waiting list). So I'm quite perplexed as to where this response comes from.

Should Celebrity raise all our fares by $80 and give everyone the special lunch, wine, hands-on experience, and ornament? Should they raise all our fares just a little and give it only to those people who are interested in it? Or should they offer it as a shore excursion so that only those who feel they get value for the price (a lot of people, evidently) have to pay for it?

Regardless of how much you think Celebrity may have declined, things like this were never free and never offered to everyone. If this is the type of thing that makes you think Celebrity is treating you indifferently, I wonder why you continue to give them your business.

Quite simply, my response is based on wanting them to enhance & maintain a superior level for all pax--

I am generally opposed to the increasing number of extra pay options whihc have gone far beyond specialty dining.. Cruising should be all inclusive once you pay the fare , not a la carte..

However, this is a thread for those who enjoyed the event & look forward to it so I will not try to ruin their fun--or debate the point...If they will pay, X will find many things for them to enjoy!!!

BTW--Hot glass demonstration in Gibraltar is free & the products reasonable..

We really enjoyed the glass-blowing demos on Solstice. I had no idea how hard the glass makers have to work. They all appeared to be in pretty good shape and I could see why. Those rods are so long and must be heavy.

The demos were popular which made me think nice bleachers instead of the flat benches would be a great addition to the area so people can see the actual glass-blowing better. The flat screen TVs were some help, but bleachers would be better. Ivy and bushes could conceal the back of the bleachers from those engaged in activities on the lawn.

While we enjoyed the glass-blowing, I don't think I'd pay all that extra to join in for the special audience participation and meal. Of course, you do get to keep the vases. That is pretty special. While I find the offer expensive, evidently Celebrity had no difficulty getting Elite-level passengers to sign up.

Heavy Surf, The people who led the glass show mentioned that the popularity of their demonstrations had greatly surprised cruise line management. The space was designed to hold 30-40 people, and they are routinely seeing crowds of 100 or more. I believe there is a plan for Equinox and beyond to make the space larger, with more of a bleacher type arrangement. This would improve sight lines as well as crowd management.

BTW--Hot glass demonstration in Gibraltar is free & the products reasonable..

hcat, the hot glass demonstrations on the ship are free, and very popular. On a lot of days, they do a couple of 2 hour shows. The additional price was only for this experience where you make an ornament to take home. Sorry for the confusion.

$79 per person was a bit pricey, especially if it was just lunch in Murano. I think the main thing we paid for was spending 4 hours with the glass show team, seeing them do their work up close, and having the opportunity to interact with them.

Of course, it could have been a good savings for me. I might have spent more than twice that to play golf in St. Kitts, and had 4 hours worth of getting frustrated with myself! :)

Well, I'm in the camp with those who think this would be very much worthwhile to do. Of course, that may be because I collect glass, and would LOVE to have the opportunity to actually participate in making a piece that I later would display (even if my contribution was only some hot air!). That, to me, would be a "priceless" experience!

I'm going to be on the Solstice for the January 11 embarcation - very much hope that they will do this (and maybe do it more than once) on that trip! Maybe if it is so popular Celebrity should consider adding it to the list of "excursions" that people can pre-book??!!

Phil

I agree !!!

Millie

Archived