drinking age

smurf63

I was 20 years old on my first cruise which was 5 years ago on the Conquest. I was served, no questions asked. They took my S&S card, fixed my drink and never asked for ID. I, of course, did not get stumbling drunk as I can't handle much alcohol in the first place.....

You weren't there, how do you know whose card she used? Like I said in the post above, she used her OWN card. I watched it, I saw the name on her card, it was the only one she had, it was HER CARD.

So stop talking like you were there and know for certain what happened. You weren't there, you don't know. I was, and I saw it. :rolleyes:

Exactly. I walked up WITH my hole punched in my card at the pool bar and they gave me a drink. I was 18. Sure, I do look older than I am, but the point is, Gma, that they DO serve drinks to minors, even with the minor card. Whether they ring it up or not, that may be a different story.. However, I asked for a pina colada, with the hole punched in my card...and it had alcohol in it. Thats the end of the story.

Well' date=' no, it didn't happen......I don't care what your friend says.

There may be an occassional screwup where a minor uses his parents card and is able to buy a drink....sloppy bartender not doing his job or parent who doesn't give a rats about their teeny boppers drinking. But, as a matter of course, they will not serve minors......period...... If the minor presents his card, the magnetic strip on the back contains age, photo and other information about the minor. Even those who are 21 are sometimes carded for additional identification proving they are old enough.

All the honking about this here is just that - honking. Somebody told somebody, or someone who hasn't sailed on a Carnival ship in years and is totally unaware of the safeguards in place blather on about it.

They do not serve minors alcohol onboard the ship......[/quote']

Why don't you just admit that you are wrong. They do serve minors alcohol on Carnival ships. I have seen it, others have seen it and just because you say it doesn't happen doesn't make it so.

You have absolutely no idea in the world what you are talking about.

That's crazy that these minor are getting alcohol. I don't know how they are buying them because over my last couple of cruises they bartender has come back and told me that he can't use this card becuse the cardholder is under 21. This is when I have forgotten my card and used my kids (when they are with me). I am quite the annoying one with my card, forget it quite a bit. When I am sunbathing I have to wait to one of the kids to say Hi and then use their card. I can say that I have been denied about 10 times doing this.

I've seen both sides of this coin:

On our last cruise (I was 24) there were a few times when I was asked for additional ID (driving license) before getting a beer. This became annoying after a while as my ID was back in the cabin and I assumed my photo, date of birth etc were stored on the S&S card so the bartender could see it was me. They told me that they can only see the date of birth, they cannot access the photo stored on the card and they need to check in case minors try to use other peoples cards.

However, on the same cruise we became friends with someone who was 20, and they used their own card several times to get alcohol. Other times they were denied as the bartender wouldn't serve them.

I think it depends on the server, and there are definitely some servers who will serve alcohol to people they can see are only 19,20etc. Probably because it's another tip for them.

Another true story was a cruise I was on maybe 3-4 years ago. I had recently turned 21 and had met a couple of girls (with their mum). I offered to buy them a drink and then later they wanted to buy me a drink back. The bartender tried to serve on the girls card but gave back the girls S&S card and said, you'll have to put the drinks on your mums card. He took the mums card and served them all an alcoholic drink. Shortly after the girls went to the restroom and the bartender said to me, "be a bit careful later on, that one girl there is only 16". So having swiped her S&S card he knew she was 16 but still served her a drink at the bar (on her mums card), and warned me to be careful which was kind as I had assumed she was at least 22-23 (she looked older than me, and had told me she was 22)

He wasn't served at a bar' date=' nor did he try to buy a drink.. Big difference. He was with his parents. I even let my 17 year old grandson have a little wine at the Captain's party. That doesn't mean he is able to walk to the bar and buy a drink.[/quote']

G'ma if the drinking age on the ship is 21 why would you let your

17 yr old GS drink?

The point, without your defensive sarcasm, was that your info IS and WAS not current. Things can change in a decade, [our mirrors prove that]. What happened on RCL is not applicable to Carnival unless Carnival absorbed RCL too. And I think we would have heard about that. And "your friends" hearsay is not admissible either.

Do underage persons get drinks on Carnival? YES, without any doubt they do. BUT, do they get them by charging them on their own S&S cards or do they get them when a person OVER 21 presents their, fully authorized, S&S card?

Now if I was a bartender and you, looking the way you do, ordered a drink from me, and I knew how to beat the computer, you WOULD get a drink.

Dan

I don't know how to interpret the last statement you made...

If you don't consider my cousins' and friends' experiences valid, you should re read my first-hand account, as a primary source.

Archived