La Roqueta island - Acapulco

ehogan

Has anyone been to this island on their own?

Carnival has an excursion there but it is pretty expensive.

If you have done this on your own, how do you go about it and how much does it cost to get there. We are looking for something to do on our own that is safe and avoids many of the vendors, etc.

Thanks in advance

• 8 months later...

We also are interested in doing La Roqueta on our own. Can we get a water taxi or glass bottom boat from near the cruise ship pier that will take us to La Roqueta Island? Once we are on La Roqueta Island, is it easy to find an area to snorkle or the hiking trails? Is it easy to get a return boat back to near the cruise ship pier?

Or are we better off to take the ship's excursion that includes the boat ride, hiking, snorkeling, & lunch?

Kathy

You are at liberty to explore the island. There is only a light house, the beach and dense jungle other than the buildings on the beach. It is a cool Island but NOT worth the excursion price.. You can do the whole trip for a few dollars per person on your own - * VERY EASY *

Great & thanks! If we want to hike / walk the trails, can we do it on our own without getting lost? Are there trail markers -- or roundtrip loops? We don't want to get lost in a dense jungle. ;)

We probably won't have pesos. Will they accept US $?

Kathy

Great & thanks! If we want to hike / walk the trails, can we do it on our own without getting lost? Are there trail markers -- or roundtrip loops? We don't want to get lost in a dense jungle. ;)

We probably won't have pesos. Will they accept US $?

Kathy

Stop at an ATM - Withdraw what you need. They will really screw you on the dollar if you pay with dollars. 10 to 1 exchange. ATM will not cheat you.

It is an under developed jungle island with trails. Ask your waiter if he has a guide - there are a few regulars on the island. I have not been interested enough to explore the whole island as I have been around it several times on yachts. It is a Rock with a jungle.

Take a Taxi to Caleta Beach ( 30 pesos )

Take a boat / Tour to la Roqueta ( 40 Pesos round trip - keep your ticket )

Caleta is a real local favorite and there are many (glass bottom) boats that will take you on a little tour and then to la Roqueta island. cost is 40 pesos per person. La Roqueta Island beach is very popular. A great place to swim, calm water, food is available.. I would stop at an Oxxo or some place to get beverages to take with you. I like to carry a cooler of beer, water and sodas and food. You will pay for your tablle when you get to the island I think I paid 50 pesos last time.. I don't recall. If you want to get supplies before going to caleta beach there is a Super Soriana on the way and a Commercial Mexicana.. you can get everything you need at either one - snorkel stuff, coolers, sunscreen - whatever.. the drawback to la roqueta is the last boat leaves at 5pm and the island is then closed. Most beaches are empty by 7pm anyway. The ride to caleta is cool because you will pass the Zocalo and then head into Old Acapulco ... It is a poor area but very very cool to see if you like mexico ..

Food Idea that will not spoil your stomach - Soriana and Commecial Mexicana have Roasted chicken that is really good.. one of those, fresh tortillas, salsa and all the good stuff and you have a real feast.. Provecho ..

Can you use your water taxi ticket back on any boat, or are there different companies? Is the boat accessed from a pier, or do you need to get in from the water like Cabo?

Are the grocer stores on route so you would have to get the taxi to wait or are they after you get out of the taxi at Caleta?

Is it possisble to combine this with trip to see the cliff divers? We are in Acapulco from 8am - 6pm? thanks

Q. Can you use your water taxi ticket back on any boat, or are there different companies?

A. Ticket works on all the boats normally. Unless there has been a recent change.. But all the boats are the same style and yes different owners.

Q. Is the boat accessed from a pier, or do you need to get in from the water like Cabo?

A. Yes. You will access from a pier. Never will you need to enter the water.

Q. Are the grocery stores on route so you would have to get the taxi to wait or are they after you get out of the taxi at Caleta?

A. The stores are near the port. The Taxi driver will wait for you for an extra fee. You can negotiate this with your driver.

Q. Is it possisble to combine this with trip to see the cliff divers? We are in Acapulco from 8am - 6pm? thanks

A. Anything is possible. You just need to get the timing right. But you are on a tight time budget. There is a cliff diver show 5 times a day: 12:45 pm, 7:30 pm, 8:30 pm, 9:30 pm, and 10:30 pm.

Q. Can you use your water taxi ticket back on any boat, or are there different companies?

A. Ticket works on all the boats normally. Unless there has been a recent change.. But all the boats are the same style and yes different owners.

Q. Is the boat accessed from a pier, or do you need to get in from the water like Cabo?

A. Yes. You will access from a pier. Never will you need to enter the water.

Q. Are the grocery stores on route so you would have to get the taxi to wait or are they after you get out of the taxi at Caleta?

A. The stores are near the port. The Taxi driver will wait for you for an extra fee. You can negotiate this with your driver.

Q. Is it possisble to combine this with trip to see the cliff divers? We are in Acapulco from 8am - 6pm? thanks

A. Anything is possible. You just need to get the timing right. But you are on a tight time budget. There is a cliff diver show 5 times a day: 12:45 pm, 7:30 pm, 8:30 pm, 9:30 pm, and 10:30 pm.

Thanks for your replies. Sounds a little tight timing wise unless we could get to the early morning cruise diving show.

The island is popular with Chelangos. it is a word used to describe vacationers from Mexico City or Mexico.

There are probably a few other, even less desirable terms used to describe the vacationers from Mexico City. They don't seem to be very popular with the locals in Acapulco. Or any other city outside of Mexico City it seems. Still, Chilangos is probably derogatory enough.

Interesting info from Wiki

• "The term Chilango was originally used, as a pejorative term, to refer to those mestizos, (the offspring of Spanish and indigenous people) who were regarded as acting snobbishly for being part Spanish.
  • Today, the term Chilango refers to a variety of people ranging from those who migrate to Mexico City. Due to the lack of education and ethics of people from different states out side the city has made believe that all residents are as selfish,dishonest, and untrustworthy. People who are born and raise in Mexico city are "Capitalinos". Capitalinos are not the same as chilangos."

I had not heard of the term "Capitalinos" before.

yeah, I 100% respectfully disagree. :D People usually want to swim and snorkle fairly close to the beach area. I have no desire to just keep getting into deeper and deeper and deeper ocean to get away from the crowds. I don't want to have to swim for an hour just to get back to my towel. If the beach area is small (as it appears to be in the few pictures I've been of this area) than people are going to be in a small area and it'll get crowded. Obviously you can swim for hours and hours outward into the deep ocean if you wish (and wave good bye to your cruise ship as you pass it *lol* ) but like everybody else, I prefer to be able to be reasonably close to the beach when I swim.

Obviously the island is surrounded by water, but I'm unfamilar with the area and with the research I've done (which is little!) it looks like there is just one SMALL popular beach. If that's the case the beach and DESIREABLE SNORKELING AND SWIMMING area will get crowded. No, the ocean itself will not shrink. Sorry you misunderstood what I said. ;)

I wouldn't want to just swim further and further into the deep ocean to escape the massive crowds. But that may just be me. :D

Chelango - Gringo ....

Just words.. Commonly used. No insult intended by the locals.

There is even a magazine - quite popular - Named - Chelango magazine..

Gringo is a word used to refer to white people from USA or Canada.. once again no one intends to insult anyone. And you will here both words in daily conversation.

As far as you swimming into the deep ocean to snorkel.. no one does that. You snorkel around the rocks to see the fish (Very close to shore) and no one will be swimming in that area. But based on your comments, you should probably not go snorkeling on your own. Snorkeling requires common sense and no one wants to see tourists snorkeling in "Deep Ocean an Hour away from his towel".

Chelango - Gringo ....

Just words.. Commonly used. No insult intended by the locals.

Not just what I know, but also what I have read. Many times I have read of the disdain (whether outright or more subtle) the local population in Acapulco has for the vacationers from Mexico City. Further evidenced by additional information from Wiki.

"People from Mexico City have come to embrace the term and use it with pride. This "chilango pride" has also led the affectionate term "Chilangolandia" in reference to Mexico City. They also consider that any non-Chilango who uses the term does it in a derogatory fashion, and although widely used, may be considered pejorative since its not uncommon of people not from Mexico City to view Mexico City dwellers as "different" from them: more competitive, selfish, less honest and more manipulative."

As always, intent is different than perception.

We have similar words in English. Some in the African-American community have a word that they also use as a term of endearment. However if someone not of African-American descent uses that same term, it is also considered derogatory. There are other examples as well for different groups.

So in your case, while the locals may not "intend" to use the term in a negative fashion, the locals from Mexico City may have a different perception of how they are being viewed, whether in Acapulco or any other city in Mexico.

Roqueta typically draws the bottom-end of the tourist market, kids on school trips, etc. I think it takes a "different" type of tourist to enjoy La Roqueta and suspect many cruise ship passengers will not have an enjoyable time there. I don't much enjoy it there and partly because I prefer to snorkel at Playa La Angosta, which is easy to reach from the passenger terminal and La Quebrada where the divers perform. There is no rental of equipment at the nice little bay at La Angosta, so if you go bring your own. There are some people who catch and cook fresh fish for you there, bathrooms and some tables/umbrellas to sit - but it's primarily a beach where Acapulco residents, and from that neighboorhod, swim and snorkel.

About references to chilangos, capitalinos, etc., I find Mexicans to be, generally, people who hold prejudice against persons other than their local or family group - and acknowledge that folks from Mexico City who come to Acapulco and who may earn more money, may have the opportunity to better enjoy a vacation in the city in short bursts of time, etc., are resented a bit. I see that resentment in other parts of the country, as well. I've been traveling to Acapulco for about 27 years now, and lived in Mexico City for 6 years - and other than the first times visiting Acapulco I use the term Capitalino to describe/refer to folks from Mexico City.

We tend to go off the beaten path. Were that Teva wearing, go with the flow type. In April, 2006, we took a cab from the pier to the transfer point for La Roqueta ($10). It happened to be over Easter and it was packed with families. We were approached by no less than 6 different guys wanting to take us anywhere. We jumped on a ferry/glass bottom boat with a few other families for $3 each to the island. As soon as we arrived, a local who spoke excellent English (although my husband speaks fluent Spanish), asked if he could be our guide for the day. We would pay him whatever we wanted at the end of the day. We took him up on his offer. Turns out Carlos did tours for the cruise companies, but was not hired for the day. He carried an ice cold bucket of beers for us on our hike to the lighthouse. There were a couple of burros begging for beer, so Carlos gave them a little. He had keys to the lighthouse and we went inside and took great photos of the port. He talked about history, flora, etc. At the beach, he got snorkeling gear and reserved the best table on the deck for us. He worked us onto the local passenger ferry that dropped us right off at the cruise port. It may have just been our luck, but things like this tend to work out for us. Carlos was a just an all around great guy. We walked up and back to watch the Cliff divers on Carlos' advice. Entrance, including a beer was $3 each.

I know this was 3 1/2 years ago, but I doubt it has changed much. Sometimes no plan is the best plan.

DSCN0486.jpg.c0963c900fa285f5df306aeb9dece1f8.jpg

DSCN0505.jpg.d8816e59e977d07ffb86b43a0897b30d.jpg

Roqueta typically draws the bottom-end of the tourist market, kids on school trips, etc. I think it takes a "different" type of tourist to enjoy La Roqueta and suspect many cruise ship passengers will not have an enjoyable time there. I don't much enjoy it there and partly because I prefer to snorkel at Playa La Angosta, which is easy to reach from the passenger terminal and La Quebrada where the divers perform. There is no rental of equipment at the nice little bay at La Angosta, so if you go bring your own. There are some people who catch and cook fresh fish for you there, bathrooms and some tables/umbrellas to sit - but it's primarily a beach where Acapulco residents, and from that neighboorhod, swim and snorkel.

About references to chilangos, capitalinos, etc., I find Mexicans to be, generally, people who hold prejudice against persons other than their local or family group - and acknowledge that folks from Mexico City who come to Acapulco and who may earn more money, may have the opportunity to better enjoy a vacation in the city in short bursts of time, etc., are resented a bit. I see that resentment in other parts of the country, as well. I've been traveling to Acapulco for about 27 years now, and lived in Mexico City for 6 years - and other than the first times visiting Acapulco I use the term Capitalino to describe/refer to folks from Mexico City.

There are many places to visit a beach in Acapulco and i so strongly disagree with so many posts in this topic:

#1. The word Chilango is not an insult to anyone. Click here subscribe to Chilango Magazine

#2. La Roqueta is a really cool island and a great beach. Period. There are no bottom feeders there. Companies do not want tourists going to the island alone because the interested parties lose your $$$ to the island.

#3. Mexico nationals and Chilangos keep Acapulco alive - the locals know it. There is no animosity on either side.

#4. Don't be insulted by the word Gringo it means nothing really and Mexican folks use it to categorize white tourists. It is really like saying "white guy".

Where do the glass bottom boats take you? We're interested in seeing some of Acapulco from the water and also are interested in going to La Roqueta island.

They take you on a little scenic journey on the way to the island. A guy will jump in the water - attract fish under the boat with bait and you will get to see the fish through the glass bottom. You will also see the submerged Virgin of Guadalupe statue.

Archived