Royal Caribbean International Names Much-Anticipated Ultra Voyager

jsea

Perilously close to being political statements? :confused: I guess you must dislike Monarch of the Seas as that is even more 'perilously close' to being a political statement.
The latter isn't a political statement in current times, but I'm not biting because I've already said I'm now going to leave this subject well alone on this board.

"Freedom of the Seas will be the most head-turning, most innovative and most forward-looking ship in the cruise industry," said Richard D. Fain, Royal Caribbean Chairman and CEO. "Its name was chosen deliberately to convey the enormity of features and amenities offered on this extraordinary ship."

"Freedom of the Seas is really all about freedom of choice. Freedom to explore. Freedom to relax. Freedom to make one's own vacation plans reflective of one's own tastes and interests," he added.

I understand why the name "Freedom" would evoke some of the opinions given.

But if we take the above statement as true,does that change the minds of those that don't care for it?I myself,don't care for it,but only because it just does not seem to flow well.And besides,I don't want to be free from the seas..I want to be part of the seas :D

I don't see it as a political statement.Its a non US flagged shipped for goodness sakes,so that does not make sense anyway.

Granted,you would think that they would have considered reactions to "percieved notions" about the name,and I think that Bensjamin makes a good point about it being a target.All the things that are hated ...bigger,better opulent...and full of Americans.But we have the Aloha and the POA...I really have not heard these comments being made about them...

Last time I checked, freedom and liberty are good things which I would assume anyone who cruises, irrespective of country or political affiliation, cherishes. After all, I don't see how you can cruise without having freedom and liberty.

For those who think Freedom of the Seas is 'too political', perhaps it's time to get back to fighting for what you believe in and not fighting against other peoples' beliefs.

Perilously close to being political statements? :confused: I guess you must dislike Monarch of the Seas as that is even more 'perilously close' to being a political statement.

I had second thoughts about my reply. This isn't the place for politics.

Beth

I bet Bush, and RCCL have a contract together. Bush tried to call French-fries, Freedom fries! I personally think it should be called $ of the seas, or even better... $$$$$$$$ of the seas!

I know what's going to be on the ultra-voyager, can't tell anybody though!

Actually, let's just say that the disco is going to be on the pool deck. Shhhhh!!!

We hope to be on her as well during April or May of '06.

Take care, Joanna

Hi Jo...yep hope to see you on the same sailing. Will send you an email. Can't wait for this one. Come on over to the Meet & Mingle Board and join in on our roll call for potential Freedom of the Seas cruisers for April/May 2006. Tyron has started a thread already :)

Here is the link..check us out....Emmy :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=2373116#post2373116

The name - well Freedom may have some political trappings to it, (remember, RCL inaugurated the Adventure of the Sea in Nov 2001 in NYC, and had 4 NYC police and fire personnel as the godparents of the ship), but that might go out of fashion in 2 years. Regardless, they could call it Chicken of the Seas and I would still want to cruise on her!!!

The flat screen TV's - actually DrD, that extra desk space will be put to good use in our cabin! It's not the cubic feet, it's the square footage that matters when you are getting ready for formal nights.

What I'm concerned about - I want to see the floor plans!!!! I want to see the cabin layouts!! I want to know the ITINERARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joanna - thanks for letting us know about the M&M thread. I probably won't go on the inaugural cruise, but it will be fun to join other Freedom cruisers.

Just curious, the first press releases said that it was going to be 157 feet at it widest point, (current voyagers are 157 ft)the latest ones said it will be 184ft at its widest point. I thought they said it was just going to be stretched, but this looks like its going to be wider also!!! Way cool!!!:D

What this did point out is some very poor crew to guest ratios:

1 crew to every 2.65 guests at the 3,600 guests double occupancy

1 crew to every 3.21 guests at the 4,370 guests total occupancy

with only 1,360 crew.

What is this going to do to the service levels that is already declining?

blank.gifVoyager of the Seas has 1557 Staterooms and 1176 crew, which would be a double occupancy ratio of 2.65 - exactly the same as this ship.

Considering that they've most likely gotten more efficient in ship design over the years, I'd guess that maintaining the same crew ratio would allow an improvement in service level.

Good observation, I just noticed that as you pointed it out. This certainly leads me to believe the Freedom of the Seas and her sister ship may not simply be a stretched version of the Voyager class, but a whole new design. Hmmmm...

Just curious, the first press releases said that it was going to be 157 feet at it widest point, (current voyagers are 157 ft)the latest ones said it will be 184ft at its widest point. I thought they said it was just going to be stretched, but this looks like its going to be wider also!!! Way cool!!!:D

Good observation, I just noticed that as you pointed it out. This certainly leads me to believe the Freedom of the Seas and her sister ship may not simply be a stretched version of the Voyager class, but a whole new design. Hmmmm...
But that would be completely against everything that the line and the yard have said about the ship. A 30 foot width increase would be a phenomenal step up - you would have thought that someone would have said something different.

I think it's more likely that the two figures are for the hull width, and the width at the broadest point (probably from tip to tip of the bridge wings). So like was not being compared with like.

• 2 months later...

Well, it remains to be seen whether my (constant) cynicism was ill-founded, but I've seen a rumour today that the second Ultra-Voyager will be called Endeavor of the Seas. A little research threw up this page (cached here by Google) - see newsbrief 111 dated 8 January 2005, for which you'll have to scroll down.

And if anyone's playing the "who guessed it first?" game, it's here.

Archived