Flights cancelled? Ever happened?

Debde

Horror Fan!!! LOL LOL

Started posting-left the computer for a bit and finished posting and see that you came on!!

As my kids would say 'snap'!!! :D

;)

To get back on topic, If you can swing it, get there a day early. Chances are you'll be fine either way, but I had problems on my first cruise so will always go a day early from now on. I don't need the stress.

Just make sure your kids get a good lecture on future work ethics before you leave.:D

...how many folks from up north have actually had a flight cancelled and not made the ship??

This hasn't happened to us personally (actually, we almost always drive to ports rather than fly anyway), but a year or so ago we went out to eat at a Japanese Steak House where we were seated with several members of a family.

The family had gone out to eat together, basically to wallow in the fact that they were supposed to be on a RCL cruise at that moment, but their flight had been canceled and they weren't able to make it to Puerto Rico to catch the ship.

Even though they had paid extra for travel insurance (I assume it was "travel insurance," although I could have my terms wrong... they had definitely paid extra for something that one would have expected to cover such a thing), they were not eligible for a refund.

We were shocked when we heard their story. I believe the problem was weather related, and that's why the flight couldn't make it. Whatever the case, they complained high enough up the food chain and they did get a percentage of their cruise refunded, but they really were screwed. Their story certainly scared us into being very cautious about getting to the ship as early as necessary.

I assume the OP has made up her mind that it isn't a good thing to fly in the day of the Cruise!

Back in Aug 06, I was leaving out of Philly for a San Juan cruise departing at 10PM. I booked my own flight the Day of the Cruise leaving at 6am!We did curbside check-in and had no clue the flight was delayed.

Went to our gate and saw the delay due to mecahnical problems! Possibly a 2 hr delay! We waited it out ( in the meantime called our T/A, who also had nothing to do with the flight booking), after 2 hrs another updated notice was posted for approx 12pm departure!

I called the T/A back, he found us a flight on another airline to get us to San Juan! We spoke to the airline ( for the delayed flight) and they would not release our luggage to be flown on our new flight, due to it being tagged for the problem flight! We decide to leave our luggage with that airline and off we flew on the new flight ( different airlines).

Our new flght departed at 2:15 pm ( the mechanical flight still hadn't arrived from MD to philly yet), so we left. We arrived in SJ at 8:10pm. Spoke with the rep from the original airlines to let them know our luggage would be coming in on the other flight and if it arrived soon, could they please get it to the ship or to the next port.

We made it onboard while the Muster Drill was being done. Our luggage did arrive too ( could not beleive it).

After being on the Ship, we found others that took the mechanical problem flight to SJ and their luggage never arrived! They booked theri flight ( same flight as I had booked) through RC. At the 1st port they were given spending money to purchase clothes for the week! One of the couples were honeymooners and were quite upset with the delay! It does put a bad taste in your mouth to start your vacation off with all that strees!

I will never plan to fly the day of my cruise ( I have done it maybe 15 x prior to that episode with no problems) but you can not predict anything with the airlines no matter if it's in Jan or July!

In regards to taking children out of school, I do take my 16 yr old GD on cruise's, mostly summer time ones, there have been times she had missed school for cruise's, and it never affected her grades! She did her work required while on vacation, is an honor roll student, cheers for the Varsity squad since 9th grade, and the only difference is our school district only allows 5 day excused vacation trips 2x for your entire High School years!

She also misses school for school activities ( leaves early to cheer for far away football games, cheerleading competition trips for 4 days, etc.) and she maintains Honor Roll status! She also works part-time in between all her other activities and fits it in her schedule without being absent from work!

I feel it all depends on the individual. Some kids couldn't succeed in school if they went year round and others are gifted to catch on with missing classes!:)

Enjoy your cruise with your Family!

My advice is to fly down a day early no matter what. It saves you tons of worry and stress. If you really are worried about it, don't go on the cruise that leaves on Sat. go on the one that leaves on Sun.... Both have great itineraries!

My husbands parents missed the ship because of cancelled flights and they missed the first day at sea and an island day... It was their first cruise... Sucks to be them! You don't want to end up with the same thing.

Yes, this happened to me! My 6:00 a.m. flight from Denver in JUNE was cancelled, and through a series of problems we missed our flight, got taken off the next flight due to heat and weight of the plane (but my luggage went on without me), missed the cruise, had to meet our ship in Cozumel on Day 3...never found my luggage until we got home....hassle, hassle, hassle.

Did I mention this was my HONEYMOON?!!!!

I live within driving distance to the port now and still drive over the day before. My last cruise, I woke up to head to the port and the battery in my car was dead!

Moral of the story - go the day before. Anything can happen, from weather to mechanical to transportation.

I assume the OP has made up her mind that it isn't a good thing to fly in the day of the Cruise!

Yup!! You all confirmed my original thoughts ist's not an option!!! Don't want any headaches at all!!!

Honeywell-Oh boy!!! :(

Now for the values:

Should I have them share a soda card???.................:p

Please only kidding!!!

Now for the values:

Should I have them share a soda card???.................:p

Please only kidding!!!

Boy, you are a glutton for punishment.;)

Glad you have decided against coming in day of. I learned my lesson on a trip a few years ago - wasn't a cruise, instead it was my sister in law's college graduation that we almost missed.

We will also be sailing on the Serenade on 2/7/09, unfortunately we can not fly out to San Juan the day before. I'm flying out of Newark on the 7:00am flight on Continental. We have taken out travel insurance which includes trip interruption/cancellation. We chose to fly with Continental because they have several non stops to San Juan.

We will also be sailing on the Serenade on 2/7/09, unfortunately we can not fly out to San Juan the day before. I'm flying out of Newark on the 7:00am flight on Continental. We have taken out travel insurance which includes trip interruption/cancellation. We chose to fly with Continental because they have several non stops to San Juan.

At least you have an early morning non-stop flight. There are far more things that can go wrong when connections are involved. And as the day goes on the air traffic system tends to fall behind schedule. Of course things can go wrong but when flying the same day as a cruise morning non stop flights are far more reliable, in my opinion, that later or connecting flights.

JetBlue has many regularly scheduled flights to between San Juan and JFK.

Eric

Eric just so you know, yes JetBlue has more flights but they are more money than the flight I got on November 4th. I paid $308 per person for 3 people and it has gone up twice on Delta...it is up to $398 per person and the average price for JetBlue (which was just posted this weekend for August) is $582 per person, that is $274 MORE per person, that would be a total of $822 for all 3 of us. I can say that is a lot of money for anyone, would pay for quite a few drinks onboard.

I retired three years ago after spending the prior 20 years flying every week to my job assignments (field engineer). I have a little experience with flights and delays. Even though the weather is beautiful where you are, the airplane has to come from somewhere else to pick you up. The only exception is if this is one of the first flights out that morning, the plane may have spent the night at the airport. I always tried to fly out on the first flight at 6:00 AM or so. I have been delayed on a beautiful morning flight on an airplane that spent the night at the airport. Reason was that the flight crew came in late the night before due to delays and according to FAA rules could not fly again until they received the mandated time of rest. Result was we left two hours late and fellow pax missed their connections. I have had flights canceled because the airplane was in a weather delay at another airport or conditions were so bad that they could not take off where I was. I have been delayed or canceled due to snow, ice, heavy rain, lightening and strong wind. Luckily I was a valued frequent flier (platinum) and had priority in getting available seats on the next flight. They always give available seats on the next flight first to their frequent fliers and then to everyone else.

Moral is to fly the day before. Leave on the first flight that morning so that if there are delays, you may be able to get a later flight and not have to wait overnight. Try to have the least amount of transfers, preferably none (direct flights). Last would be to finger the beads (catholic joke).

I am a school teacher and completely understand your dilemma. About two years ago we went on a cruise over Spring Break. We flew out Friday after school. There was really nasty weather in Chicago and all flights were delayed. Since they were delayed, we were going to miss our connecting flight, so we had to quickly change our flights. We ended up running to the other side of the airport and hopped on a flight. We made it to the airport but half our luggage did not! We waited at the airport until 3am for the luggage and finally gave up. Luckily a man that worked for Princess (who we didn't even book through) found our luggage for us the next morning and brought it to the ship for us. While we didn't have it that night, that man saved our lives! Anyways....we were very lucky to have gotten out of Chicago and got on the ship on time. It's a risk and you hear people saying all the time that it happened to them. I realize the importance of education, but I also realize the importance of a great cruise....and I say take the day off and go in early. It's worth it!!!

Archived