Is Seltzer considered Soda?

Life's a Beach!!

Not a big diet coke' date=' coke etc... drinker but love setzer. Do I need to purchase a soda card? How much is the soda card?[/quote']

In answer to the question...my best guess is seltzer is considered soda because it is carbonated & comes from the fountain tap (it's basically the same as club SODA except the salt issue I believe). Just ask when you get on board before purchasing card. Price depends on adult or kid. I'm thinking something around $5.50 a day + added 15% grat. for an adult but I really can't remember. I usually only buy them for my kids because I'm not a big soda drinker (don't remember kids' price either...always seems a bit high the cost but my kids get their money's worth since once they got the card they'd just drink all the soda their bodies could hold..).

In answer to the question...my best guess is seltzer is considered soda because it is carbonated & comes from the fountain tap (it's basically the same as club SODA except the salt issue I believe). Just ask when you get on board before purchasing card. Price depends on adult or kid. I'm thinking something around $5.50 a day + added 15% grat. for an adult but I really can't remember. I usually only buy them for my kids because I'm not a big soda drinker (don't remember kids' price either...always seems a bit high the cost but my kids get their money's worth since once they got the card they'd just drink all the soda their bodies could hold..).

One comment from my experience. There is no "fountain tap" anymore. On the three Carnival cruises I have taken (most recently Valor in 11/08) all the "fountain" beverages are poured from cans. I was told on the Freedom that this is for sanitary reasons, given that it is very hard to keep the fountain lines clean enough, especially in the humidity of the outdoor bars. So all "fountain" soda (and I believe that includes club soda and tonic water) comes from cans.

One comment from my experience. There is no "fountain tap" anymore.

Now that you mention it, you are right about that. I'm thinking it was my last one on RCCL used fountain tap. But in the end....OP....they're going to make you pay! I still do think it would be considered under the soda card though; if not, are you willing to drink club soda? No dispute there that they'd have to cover that as a soda.

Now that you mention it, you are right about that. I'm thinking it was my last one on RCCL used fountain tap. But in the end....OP....they're going to make you pay! I still do think it would be considered under the soda card though; if not, are you willing to drink club soda? No dispute there that they'd have to cover that as a soda.

On my last RCCL there was a fountain "gun" as well - just like bars on land. Which is what prompted my question on Freedom. Makes sense with all the concern about food-borne ilnesses.

I saw a post once that said you would need to drink about 3 "sodas" a day to make the fountain card a good deal. So for heavy "users", it seems to be a no brainer.

One other suggestion which might cause some flames to shoot in my direction. I would suggest tipping the bartender that provides your "soda" a dollar or two the first time per day. It will most likely improve your service going forward at that bar.

:mad:

My gosh...just wanted an answer!! My computer acted up and I was unsure the first post sent. CLEARLY IT DID! Thanks to all the REAL responses out there. Makes my planning so much easier!

No worries - just like your username suggests!!! Don't sweat the small stuff!!

Thank you!! :)

In case you didn't know, you can bring your own bottled water onboard. Carnival rules say you can bring a "reasonable" amount of soda and water onboard. For my three Carnival cruises, brought two six-packs of the larger sport-sized bottles to have in the room. Packed right in my suitcase. There is nothing wrong with the ship's water - I just prefer bottled.

Yes it is. I ordered "club soda" in the main dining room with dinner.

I was surprised at the bill. They filled up the glass but did not leave the can on the table. I'm positive I was charged ever time they toped off the glass, instead of every time they opened a can.

Which brings up another question. I normally bring on board some sparkling water/mineral water for my stateroom. Would they charge me a 'corkage' fee to open that in the MDR?

I just mentioned this the SO, and he suggested bring our Soda Siphon next time. What do you guys think? Would this look out of place if we brought it to the MDR?

sodasiphons2.jpg

And as a bonus..it could come in handy if the dining room breaks out in a Three Stooges type pie fight.

On my last RCCL there was a fountain "gun" as well - just like bars on land. Which is what prompted my question on Freedom. Makes sense with all the concern about food-borne ilnesses.

I saw a post once that said you would need to drink about 3 "sodas" a day to make the fountain card a good deal. So for heavy "users", it seems to be a no brainer.

One other suggestion which might cause some flames to shoot in my direction. I would suggest tipping the bartender that provides your "soda" a dollar or two the first time per day. It will most likely improve your service going forward at that bar.

There is no question that slipping a pool attendant or a bar tender a few bucks will get you excellent service, and if you are using the soda card, they will keep your glass full all the time you are around.

One comment from my experience. There is no "fountain tap" anymore. On the three Carnival cruises I have taken (most recently Valor in 11/08) all the "fountain" beverages are poured from cans. I was told on the Freedom that this is for sanitary reasons, given that it is very hard to keep the fountain lines clean enough, especially in the humidity of the outdoor bars. So all "fountain" soda (and I believe that includes club soda and tonic water) comes from cans.

Actually this isn't true - lines for bag in the box are sealed at all times and they don't need to be "cleaned and sanitized" like a premix system does. Bag in the box systems do require a prefect mix of water, co2 and syrup in order to get a good tasting coke.

Soft water is bad for carbonation, so if the cruise lines soften their water that is why a lot of times you will have a bad or flat tasting coke.

Also think of it this way, and bar gun is made to pour what? a mix drink, so if want a 24oz coke and a gar tender wants to pour it out of a bar gun, ask if they have a fountain machine, your coke will taste much better....this holds true at any restaurant also..

Bar Guns need to be brixed more often than a regular fountain machine, that is why carnival doesn't use bar guns, if you need a service call you have to wait until your in port and that can be two or three days and a down system = money lost.

Archived