Florence Hotel

Can anyone suggest a nice--not overly expensive--hotel in downtown Florence within walking distance of the major attractions--Uffize, Duomo, etc. Both times I've been in Florence it was with a pre-cruise tour and that hotel isn't available. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

We stayed at Hotel Davanzati. It's on the Via Porto Rossa and very close to all major sights. It's a small, family run hotel. We were there for six nights last October and really enjoyed it. They have a buffet breakfast and a "happy hour" every night with wine, prosecco, and bruschetta. You can check out reviews on http://www.tripadvisor.com. Have fun!

Joan

We too stayed at Hotel Davanzati - location is excellent and it is a very friendly hotel. We did find the music at the happy hour a little too loud but the Davanzati dip (they supply the recipe) was excellent (have made it many times since). Most of the other guests when we were there seemed to by from North America (US & Canada).

If you get a chance visit Palazzo Davanzati a couple of doors down - though it is mainly only open in the mornings.

We stayed at the Hotel Silla in 2003, which is across the Arno River from downtown, but nonetheless very conveniently located. It's in an old palace, and the courtyard is a little sad-looking, but once you go up to the first floor (the ground floor is, well, the ground floor in Italy and the first floor is up one level), it's very nice. I sent a coworker there a year ago and he raved about it.

The hotel is right near a bridge into downtown, and you can walk across that bridge without any crowds or go down to the Ponte Vecchio, a few blocks west. We walked all over Florence, which is a pretty compact city, without any problem at all.

Joan: It was indeed the Baltic cruise with Oceania--Scandinavian countries and Russia. I was with my great niece, Jennifer, who is tall, slim with long black naturally hair. At that time she was about to enter med school. We met you at the cocktail party for Cruise Critic members and had dinner with you and your husband one night. Jen has since graduated from med school (this year) and is doing a dual residency in internal medicine and pediatrics at Geissinger hospital in Danville, Pa. We did a post cruise stay in London and, as I recall, you and Dr. Bob had a problem getting from the hotel to the airport because of the transit strike. How's that for the memory of an old lady :) Hope you're both doing well.

Anita

Anita,

Thanks for jogging my memory. I do recall the two of you and so glad to hear how well Jennifer is doing. What a memory you have. I'm trying to forget the horror of getting to the airport after our driver didn't show up. Maybe we'll have the pleasure of cruising together again. We're doing Venice to Rome on the Insignia on May 15.

Joan

Archived