Taxi in Boston from Logan to Hilton Financial District

travelers2

We are planning a night at the Hilton Boston Financial District before our cruise. We are arriving into Boston about 4:30 pm on a Friday and I'm

wondering if we will get stuck in Friday night traffic taking a taxi from Logan to downtown . We're from the Los Angeles area and Friday night traffic can be quite a problem. I wouldn't want the meter to be spinning

while we're stuck in traffic. Is anyone familiar with traffic in the Boston area on a Friday? Your comments are much appreciated.

I've worked in Boston for 20+ years and traffic in the Financial District will be heavy on a Friday evening. Here's a link for other modes of transportation. I think the water taxi would be a fun way to go and the 'T' (subway) would be the least expensive.

http://www.massport.com/logan/getti_typeo_mbtas.html

Good luck and enjoy!

I'd consider doing a combination of "T' and taxi. The Silver Line stops at every Logan terminal - $2/pp - large "walk on" buses with luggage racks that will take you to South Station (very similar to rental car shuttles, but much bigger). At South Station you can take elevators and escalators to the Street level and take a cab to the Hilton at 89 Broad St. You may still get caught in traffic, but you'll be much closer to your destination. There is really no convenient "T" stop to the Hilton. Aquarium is the closest, but the hotel might be tricky to find from there.

I'm a huge fan of public transportation, but if you're carrying bags and older than 22 years old, a taxi is your best bet.

Rush hour is no longer a problem with the tunnels (barring the unforeseen), and the Financial District is only a mile or two from Logan. If you diddle with the Silver Line it's going to be an hour, a lot of schlepping, a lot of trying to figure out where you are going, and $4 between the two of you. If you grab a cab it'll be 10 minutes and $12.

We are planning a night at the Hilton Boston Financial District before our cruise. We are arriving into Boston about 4:30 pm on a Friday and I'm

wondering if we will get stuck in Friday night traffic taking a taxi from Logan to downtown . We're from the Los Angeles area and Friday night traffic can be quite a problem. I wouldn't want the meter to be spinning

while we're stuck in traffic. Is anyone familiar with traffic in the Boston area on a Friday? Your comments are much appreciated.

I agree with the above post; it is not easy to deal with luggage on the T (bus or subway), and you have to factor in waiting time. If it were me (lived in Boston 8 years before moving to Arizona), I would stay at the Hilton or the Hyatt at the airport the first night, then get an early start the next morning.

I can understand why the OP might not want to deal with public transportation with cruise luggage. However, they should know what their options are. The Silver Line was designed to provide an easier access into downtown Boston for Logan arrivees. The buses are very much like the rental car buses but much bigger. They have almost walkon steps plus luggage racks to store big bags. They run frequently at rush hour and have their own lanes through the Williams tunnel and South Boston. Once at South Station, there are elevators to the street level.

Given the location of their selected hotel, the OP's should not have a problem getting there in a taxi. However, Boston traffic can be fickle so their concerns about getting caught in it are valid. Bottom line it's a personal choice.

I can understand why they might want to stay in Boston rather than the airport. They will probably be at their hotel by 6:30, which gives them the whole evening to go out to dinner, explore Quincy Market, or do whatever in downtown Boston near their hotel.

Take a water taxi or shuttle, it is a beautiful view of Boston, and SOOO convienent and relaxing. A shuttle bus picks up at each terminal and there is an indoor waiting area at the dock and in 10 min or less you will be in the heart of Boston. We live in the area, and INMO it is the best way to get to the airport.

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/boats/lines/?route=F2

Archived