HUGE problem...

berls088

So, my boyfriend just notified me that he only has a xeroxed copy of his birthday certificate..and our cruise is less then 6 weeks away.

its gets worse. his birth certificate says the wrong year on it...

it gets worse. hes adopted...

are we screwed??????

Well, I don't know about where you live, but where I live, it was a simple matter of going to the Clerk of Courts office and requesting a certified copy of my birth certificate. There was a small fee, and they handed me the certificate within minutes. I don't think it is a problem that he is adopted. He should start to work on getting his birth certificate tomorrow. I'm sure the local office can tell him what to do about correcting the birth year. Good luck!

Go to http://www.vitalchek.com and order one. Worth the money and they usually produce a certified copy within a week or so. Give them details they need that should be on the photocopy he has and he should be able to get one in time for your cruise. I live in the town I was born in so I easily got mine same day by going to vital records dept downtown. My DH needed a certified copy from CA so he used vitalchek and we got it within about a week. Good luck.

Well, I don't know about where you live, but where I live, it was a simple matter of going to the Clerk of Courts office and requesting a certified copy of my birth certificate. There was a small fee, and they handed me the certificate within minutes. I don't think it is a problem that he is adopted. He should start to work on getting his birth certificate tomorrow. I'm sure the local office can tell him what to do about correcting the birth year. Good luck!

Actually, I thought you needed passports now.

You're not. Have your BF contact the city where he was born/adopted ASAP [i'm assuming they're the same place. If not, call each]. Tell thm what you're telling us. They'll tell you what to do

Actually, I thought you needed passports now.

Not yet for American citizens going from a US port...returning to the same US port

TOMORROW.....not Tuesday, not Wednesday, and certainly not when you get "around to it," but TOMORROW have your boyfriend call the Vital Records department of the County in which he was born.

Some states process them very quickly. The Vital Records department can tell you how to correct the date.

He may need to present adoption papers, so he should have any official documents available in case he needs them.

Don't panic yet, but get busy asap!!!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!:)

thank u... im mostly nervous because it has the wrong birth year thats what im having a nervous breakdown about! i didnt know u could go 25 years without having a corrected birth certificate!!! how do u get into kindergarten? i live in rhode island and he was born here too...

i have a miller lite in my hands and he is drinkin heavily behind me on the couch... great advice :)

We adopted a child when she was 14 yrs old and was born in the USA and never had a birth certificate. She was in school...without one....but we never figured out how she was able to get into school with a BC.

When you're adopted, it's not always easy to go to vital records to get your certificate. The best thing to use if the certified adoption papers and take them to the city hall of the city the adoption took place. Our kids adoptiong is private, so vitalrecords won't be able to bring her records up. Each adoption is different, so the best thing you have is the adoption papers.

thank u... im mostly nervous because it has the wrong birth year thats what im having a nervous breakdown about! i didnt know u could go 25 years without having a corrected birth certificate!!! how do u get into kindergarten? i live in rhode island and he was born here too...

i have a miller lite in my hands and he is drinkin heavily behind me on the couch... great advice :)

My sister is 47 years old and her birth certificate still says she's a male. She keeps meaning to get that fixed "one of these days".

My sister is 47 years old and her birth certificate still says she's a male. She keeps meaning to get that fixed "one of these days".

What fixed? The BC or her Gender?? :eek::rolleyes:;):D

Catrin

When you or he starts making these calls...don't be panicked..start off by asking the name of person you're speaking to & then say, "Hi Betty, I'm _____ & have a very big problem regarding an incorrect birth certificate. I really need your help because this could ruin our upcoming cruise." I remember this from a communications class I took where research showed people are more connected to you when you introduce yourself & use their name, ask specifically for their help right away & add "because _______" before you get into the details. I try to always use this theory & have generally met with sucess in it. I found people less inclined to cut you off short with a switch to another dept. or dismiss you all together as not something they handle & goodbye leaving you to search out your next step on your own.

Good luck with it. As other posters have said, if it is a small village clerk office it should be much easier & faster (of course he has the added flies in the ointment of wrong year & adopted). I got my daughter's replacement cert. in days from a small town office. My son's had wrong birthdate on it (noticed it when I first got it) & had to go thru NY City office & that was Loooooong so be sure to tell each person you speak to that time is of an essence.

Ya'll know that eventually everyone is going to need a passport, why don't folks just get passports and be done with all the worry about birth certificates. Using a passport you have one document instead of two to keep track of.

Ya'll know that eventually everyone is going to need a passport, why don't folks just get passports and be done with all the worry about birth certificates. Using a passport you have one document instead of two to keep track of.

Don't they need a correct birth certificate to get a passport?

I luv how when someone ask for BC help, ppl always try to turn it into a PP thing. PP needed eventually, maybe. Required now, NO.

So, my boyfriend just notified me that he only has a xeroxed copy of his birthday certificate..and our cruise is less then 6 weeks away.

are we screwed??????

You could be screwed,but you will be fine.

Go to the clerks office that is listed on the copy of his certificate and purchase a certified/notorized copy of it and be done.

DO NOT get into the wrong year issue.

Do not get into the adoption thing either.

Do not call anyone as it could flag an issue.

Don't mention anything to anyone. Correcting an official document of birth,for someone who is adopted may open a huge can of worms and could take a long time to fix,so don't go there.

You could be screwed,but you will be fine.

Go to the clerks office that is listed on the copy of his certificate and purchase a certified/notorized copy of it and be done.

DO NOT get into the wrong year issue.

Do not get into the adoption thing either.

Do not call anyone as it could flag an issue.

Don't mention anything to anyone. Correcting an official document of birth,for someone who is adopted may open a huge can of worms and could take a long time to fix,so don't go there.

yea but if i "dont get into it" his bc wont match his license when we go to board and he will get rejected and i will therefore kick his ass!

thank you for all the advice everyone, i gave him all of the #s he needed call before he went to work, and told him to ask his work if he could go in a few hours later tomorrow.

and to get a passport u need a bc..which is the problem!

are we screwed??????

I really feel bad for you. I was gong to just tell you to get the Passport and not worry about the BC but you just said you need the BC to get the Passport. Seems like a catch 22 to me.

I so hope you can get it all figured out. I do know that you can call your Congressman for things that are not going right, and this sure applies. Please let us know how the process is going and when you get on that fabulous cruise. Think positive and do not give up.

yea but if i "dont get into it" his bc wont match his license when we go to board and he will get rejected and i will therefore kick his ass!

thank you for all the advice everyone, i gave him all of the #s he needed call before he went to work, and told him to ask his work if he could go in a few hours later tomorrow.

and to get a passport u need a bc..which is the problem!

I realize that this is a side-bar, but how did he get a DL that shows his "correct" birthday on it with only a photocopied BC that has a different date? :confused:

I realize that this is a side-bar, but how did he get a DL that shows his "correct" birthday on it with only a photocopied BC that has a different date? :confused:

You have to show a BC when you get a drivers license? Guess when I got mine, many moons ago, they did not care about things like that.

i asked him the same thing and he said all he had to bring was his baptismal certificate... i had some not nice words for him when i realized he waited 25 years to get this fixed. and hes yelling at ME for naggin him to get it fixed asap. MENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Archived