HELP - Cruising ?'s when traveling w/3 yo

luv2cruz73

This is the first time my husband and I will be cruising with our daughter (who will be 3 at the time of sailing) and I had a few questions...PLEASE HELP!

1) How good are the children's programs on Royal Caribbean? We will be on the Explorer of the Seas

2) What do I need to bring for her? She is too big for a crib or pack-n-play, but too small to sleep on a bunk bed. Also, do they have booster seats or do we need to bring one.

3) What if there is an excursion my husband and I want to do, but isn't child friendly (i.e. snorkeling). I don't want to risk leaving my child on the ship...any guidance here would be MUCH appreciated! :(

We would appreciate any tips/advice/guidance you are willing to give so please, open up and don't be shy!

In order to use the kid's club, your daughter must be completely toilet-trained. If she is, she will have a blast! The staff is exceptional with the kids.

Try to get a room with a sleep sofa--they're low to the ground. Pullman beds have rails (you can request it from your room attendant) You won't need booster seats--they have them.

I don't know if babysitting is avail. when in port....if one of you can stay on the beach with her while you're snorkling, I don't know what your options may be, if you don't want her to stay in the kid's club!

Do bring a small stroller...little legs tire quickly!

In order to use the kid's club, your daughter must be completely toilet-trained. If she is, she will have a blast! The staff is exceptional with the kids.

Try to get a room with a sleep sofa--they're low to the ground. Pullman beds have rails (you can request it from your room attendant) You won't need booster seats--they have them.

I don't know if babysitting is avail. when in port....if one of you can stay on the beach with her while you're snorkling, I don't know what your options may be, if you don't want her to stay in the kid's club!

Do bring a small stroller...little legs tire quickly!

Hi Thank you so much for responding! So, you CAN leave your kids with AdventureOcean if they are potty trained while in port? Meaning you don't have to be on the ship? My folks are traveling with us, so maybe one day we can do an active excursion and the next day do a beach/sight seeing.

Thank you so much for the feedback!

They have booster seats in both the dining room and in the buffets. I thought our then 3 1/2 yo DS was too young for a bunk and I asked a lot of questions. I decided if I wasn't comfortable with it when we got there, he'd sleep with us (never did at home). The bunks have fold up railings that were about 6 inches high. And climbing the ladder (though being the over-protective mom, I stood behind him every single time just in case) and sleeping in that bunk were one of his favorite parts of the cruise.

As far as excursions, it really depends on what your ports are and what kind of activities you are looking into. We did leave our DS on board when we went to Montego Bay, and I was glad I did. If you do beach breaks or shopping in the ports, you should be fine, but bring an umbrella stroller - much easier to get around with and not as bulky as the huge strollers many use at home.

Our DS is 7 1/2 and has four cruises under his belt, with our fifth coming in less than a month. Cruising can be a great way to vacation, especially with families.

The biggest tip I can pass along is that if your DD is on a nap schedule, make sure she gets them (even if it's a little later than normal, say if you go ashore and come back later than the nap would normally have started). It's much more reasonable to expect good behavior from a well-rested child. DH and I took turns laying down with him for nap time on cruises. Our DS knew he was going to have to take a nap, even on vacation, so it was just part of the routine. Plus, a dark inside cabin is the best place to get some great sleep!

This is the first time my husband and I will be cruising with our daughter (who will be 3 at the time of sailing) and I had a few questions...PLEASE HELP!

1) How good are the children's programs on Royal Caribbean? We will be on the Explorer of the Seas

2) What do I need to bring for her? She is too big for a crib or pack-n-play, but too small to sleep on a bunk bed. Also, do they have booster seats or do we need to bring one.

3) What if there is an excursion my husband and I want to do, but isn't child friendly (i.e. snorkeling). I don't want to risk leaving my child on the ship...any guidance here would be MUCH appreciated! :(

We would appreciate any tips/advice/guidance you are willing to give so please, open up and don't be shy!

Hi there,

I can't remember if RCI offers it or not but I think if your child stays on board the ship, you might be able to let the kids' staff know and they may charge you a nominal charge of about $6/hour. I think Celebrity offered that but then again, sometimes each cruise line has their own rules. At one time, I think it was free. Other lines may not offer it and activities might be closed for a few hours while in port.

You can leave your child on a port day until noon. But, make absolutely certain you get back to the ship on time. I've been on cruises where the parents left their kids on board and then missed the ship. The kids were alone for two days until the parents could get to the ship at the next port of call. You can also arrange for an in cabin sitter at a charge of $10 an hour.

Thanks again for all of the advice! We have decided to juggle excursions so that she will be with my parent's on a beach or sightseeing excursion one day and then with us on a beach/sightseeing excursion the next so we don't have to leave her on the ship.

I am sure there will be a time or two that we will want some time to ourselves where we may leave her there so we can explore the ship, but I want to see her face as she experiences these things for the first time. I know it is a saving grace that we have my parent's going as they won't be interested in doing things like the deck party or the night club...

Archived