New ‘tipping not required’ policy at MSC Cruises

eroller

I'm not real thrilled about this. MSC is trying to increase service levels and I'm not certain how this new policy will accomplish that. This is the same ambiguous policy that Holland America dropped in favor of something more defined.

I think it sends the wrong message to passengers. They see "tipping not required" as "no need for me to tip" and stiff the crew. Certainly it doesn't make for a happy crew when they work their butts off then get stiffed at the end. Of course there is no one to blame expect the company and their policies.

It's possible that MSC is paying their crew more to make up the difference, but it seems unlikely based on the per diems they are currently charging. I do hope that is the case though, or you will find some very grumpy crew members on MSC.

Ernie

From Seatrade Insider:

==========================

New ‘tipping not required’ policy at MSC

9/11/2004

MSC Cruises is moving to a ‘tipping not required’ policy fleetwide and effective immediately. Under the new policy, it will be up to the individual passenger if he or she wishes to reward exceptional service, an MSC spokeswoman told Seatrade Insider.

Ernie

Based on my experience MSC already HAD very HIGH service levels.

I cannot see that by introducing a "no tipping required" policy that you blame the company if passengers do not tip staff for doing their job and providing service which passengers have a right to expect.

The people to blame are the passengers who lack the decency to treat the staff with dignity and respect and who fail to reward exemplary or special service.

Believe me I know quite a few passengers who under the old policy were of the opinion that the cabin steward and dining steward were not entitled to receive a tip above ONE DOLLAR per day per person.

Hi all -

Not sure how "new" this policy is. We sailed on the Lirica in May. There were no envelopes delivered to the room for "tip night." Down to the information desk and was politely told tipping was not required, but if I did wish to tip I could certainly do so. I always take a few Thank You cards for those that go above and beyond, but did not have enough to go around. I asked for envelopes and was given a few MSC envelopes. It took me completely by surprise! And FYI...I didn't run into a single grumpy crew member.

I don't think I would blame the company if crew members get "stiffed"...I would put the blame on those who don't tip for service. They are probably the same people who don't tip or tip only what they feel "forced" to on land. JMHO

Happy sailing!

Ernie

Based on my experience MSC already HAD very HIGH service levels.

I cannot see that by introducing a "no tipping required" policy that you blame the company if passengers do not tip staff for doing their job and providing service which passengers have a right to expect.

The people to blame are the passengers who lack the decency to treat the staff with dignity and respect and who fail to reward exemplary or special service.

Believe me I know quite a few passengers who under the old policy were of the opinion that the cabin steward and dining steward were not entitled to receive a tip above ONE DOLLAR per day per person.

I think it all depends on if the company really means it when they say "tipping not required". At Holland America, they didn't. They always advertised "tipping not required" as a marketing scheme, but once onboard you were fully expected to tip. I always tipped the same on HAL that I tipped on every other cruise line, and I felt my waiters and cabin steward expected it. HAL has since dropped that long standing policy for sometime more defined, and I imagine it's saving them loads of money since tips are now the basic salary of the waiters and cabin stewards.

My concern is for the crew. If MSC is already paying them a decent wage and tipping is really only an added supplement to their salary, then the "no tipping required" policy is great. On the other hand, if in fact the service crew (waiters and cabin stewards) are only paid a token wage (like most cruise lines which only pay $50 per month!), and these crew members rely on tips to be their actual wage, then I have a problem with it. In that case the crew will end up getting stiffed and they won't be very happy. MSC is advertising rates here in the US of $495 for a 7-day cruise. These are about the lowest rates you can find, and certainly *some* of the people who sail at these rates will have no intention to tip .... and again that is fine *if* MSC is actually paying their service crew a regular wage. If they are, it will certainly put them at a competitive disadvantage compared to those lines which do have automatic tipping and where the tips are their actual salary. In essence the passenger is paying the wage of the waiters and cabin stewards on those lines .... which is certainly a majority of lines sailing today.

Frankly I prefer more defined policies. Either tipping is expected with the exact guidelines, or that tips are already paid for and none are expected onboard. "Tipping not required" is too ambiguous for the modern day cruise industry if you ask me.

Hopefully MSC will provide a little more clarification once the policy is officially announced. I have high hopes for MSC and hope to sail on them soon.

Ernie

Yo-

I know that I'll probably get "Flamed" for saying this - but I feel that the per diem tips added to your bill at the end of the cruise by some of the other cruise lines - better insures that the crew gets its fair share of the tips (as confided to me by both NCL and Carnival crew members) 'cause there are a large number of cruisers that would stiff the tips to the crew on the last day-

Happy Cruisin'

Mike

Alan at Cruise News Daily today explained the tipping policy, and it is very different from what Holland America used to have. HAL's "Tipping Not Required" policy was that tipping was a sign of gratitude, but they wouldn't get involved in the process. However, it was welcomed and while at a lesser level than some lines, was figured into the compensation of the employees.

MSC is going to have (and hopefully communicate well to its passengers) a "Tipping Not Expected" policy. If you feel you received a level of service which on other lines would warrant the "standard" tip, nothing in cash needs to be given. However, if you receive exceptional service, you may tip additionally.

He further noted that Rick Sasso indicated the crew is paid a "full salary" which is not dependent upon tips. It's a European line, handling this in a very European way, where service charges are included in the up front charges.

I'd say think of this similar to Radisson's policies. Tips are truly included in your base fare. Should someone earn more, pay it. If not, your'e just fine.

I think this is what a *lot* of cruisers have been asking about. I'm looking forward to seeing it in action. And believe me, if the crew performs above and beyond adequate, they will be seeing additional cash at the end from me, just like on the other premium lines :)

Way to go, MSC! I like the way you're thinking!

If I enjoy on Opera the same level of service as experienced on Lirica and Melody then regardless of the shipping companies policy I would feel OBLIGATED to provide a gratuity.

Nothing was too much trouble for our dining and cabin staff and it was all done with courtesy, charm and a huge smile.

I have always used plain envelopes in the past but I really like "no capers" idea of the "thank you" card - nice personal touch that - and will nick this idea for Opera in April. Thanks and apologies to you no caper!

Not that this has great relevance but it might just be an "eye opener" for some cruisers.

On Lirica our excellent waiter Luigi took care of 20 diners and there were 2 sittings. Lets suppose he is tipped usdollars 5 per passenger per day that equates to a gratuity totalling USdollars 2400 for a 12 DAY cruise.

Taking account that uniform, food, accommodation are all provided and a small retaining salary is paid that is an attractive incentive!

In this part of the world a huge proportion of the workers earn less than US dollars 700 per MONTH and from this pay clothing, accommodation, food and travel to work.

I can well understand why many young people from this part of the world are more than happy to work aboard cruise liners!

Working in the Caribbean from 1st December to 31st March a waiter had the POSSIBILITY to earn in "tips" alone over 24,000 USD. A lucrative attraction!

On Melody and Lirica in the Caribbean the majority of the dining waiters were from the Naples/Sorrento area of Italy - they only worked for MSC for the Caribbean season and the remainder of the year returned to the "family" business in Italy - normally a restaurant or hotel. They returned to MSC year after year for the "winter" period.

I wonder if the Sasso "new policy" will mean this will change! I cannot imagine for one moment that MSC will reward the staff with wages of similar value. Perhaps the intention is to attract staff who will remain loyal to MSC throughout the year.

czechmate -

You're welcome! It takes so very little somtimes to show appreciation for what people do and make them feel special. I'm glad you agree!

I'm not going to share any more "secrets" however! I'm a repeat cruiser on a couple lines and staff tend to remember me, greet me by name, and go the extra mile! Do unto others...

Happy sailing!

no caper - I agree with you on many things and especially the sentiment re crew!

I can guess that you are the "dream" passenger for many employees!

Only last weekend in a restaurant - second visit - the waiter said "My job would be so much happier if only there were more customer like you. It is my honour to serve you". Just by being courteous and pleasant we had superb service. Of course they needed a shoe horn to get our "big heads" out the door at the end of the eveningl!!

Archived