Newbie Here...Any info would be great

Hey Everyone, I will be taking my first cruise with 3 friends in April 2009. We will be on the RCCL Splendour of the Seas, leaving out of Venice. We are very excited but have no idea what to expect. None of us have been on a cruise before. We are planning on arriving a day early in Venice.

Any hotel suggestions for a night in Venice for 4 females??? Would it be easier to stay near the airport and use a shuttle to get to the ship terminal than to stay in central Venice??

Meals are included in the cruise cost, correct?? What extras are we expected to pay for?

What type of apparel is necessary for the "formal dinners"?

I keep reading about a "soda card", can someone explain that?

Also, could someone explain what the "sea pass" is?? My understanding is that you leave a credit card and everything that you do on the ship is charged back to that credit card, is that correct??

What about tips? Tips are paid in US dollars, correct??

If anyone could answer a few of these questions I would really appreciate it. Any other information would be awesome.

cruising will most likely get to you...great way to vacation....

you put a credit card on your account and they settle your bill at the end of your cruise on your card. tips are normally automatically billed to your account. you can adjust the amount of the tip up or down by going to the pursers desk. normally run about $10 a day per person in the cabin.

charges are normally in US funds but Costa and some other lines charge in Euros. yours is most likey US $

food is mostly included. there are normally a few specialty restaurants that make a per person charge to eat at. Food everywhere is normally really good so I would not go that route unless you are really into food and/or have a special occassion. Food includes room service. just remember to tip the steward a few bucks.

drinks are another matter. coffee tea and fruit juice are free at dinner. also at the buffet restaurant and the pizzeria if they have one. most ships also have a coffee bar where you can get lattes for $...some of these charge for pastries and others have these for free

sodas are probably $2 a shot..soda card lets you get unlimited refills of a soda mug for a fixed price for the curise...

booze is normally around $5 or $6 a drink...

all these details will be on the cruise companies web site

as to Venice....the train station piazza is a good place to stay...can connect by bus from the airport...cruise ships dock close to this piazza ( think its the Piazza Roma) there will either be a ships shuttle or you can take a cab to the ship fairly cheaply..

ambiance of around St Marks is nice but its expensive to stay there...you either have to hump your bags over bridges and cobblestones or pay a LOT for a water taxi to a hotel. search cruise critic for "venice hotel" as there is lots of info on hotel choices.

we stayed on the Lido. It is across from St marks over the lagoon..a fair ways but we woke up to a view of St marks...the water bus station was right across from our hotel (Belvedere if memory serves me) got smart and googled it http://www.belvedere-venezia.com/ . You can get a water bus ticket that is good for 24 or 72 hours. there is a water bus (alilaguna from the airport that was 10 euros one way http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice_airport_boat.htm to the Lido....we took the water taxi to the Piazzalle Roma to catch the ship shuttle from the hotel....

there is a water bus route that does the grand canal...great to be on this at sunset.....

tons to see and do...try the secret tour of the Doges palace...its the name of the tour..shows secret rooms and the cell where they kept Casanova.....you get tickets for this at the desk outside of the regular ticket office

have a great time...if you have any more questions please ask

forgot formal nights...that issue raises great debates on these boards...there are the old timers who want everybody in tuxes and formal gowns...then there are those like myself who feel that casual wear (but no jeans or flip flops) should be ok...if you want to dress to the nines go for it...I tell the old foggies that I plan to wear a borat swimsuit but will formal it up with glitter...I actually own a tux and have worn it...I have also gone with dress pants and a nice shirt...our last cruise we took no dress clothes at all..ate in the Lido buffet rather than the restaurant on formal nights.

fyi there are photographers all over the ship on formal nights...you can get photos taken on spec...so, you may want to get a picture taken with you all dolled up...only pay if they work out....think its about $20 for an 8 by 10...have not bought one for some time...been on 23 cruises so the photo bit has lost its lustre...and I take about a 1000 or 2000 pictures of my own each trip

Most of your queries have already been addressed, however the following info for Venice may be useful

We arranged a private transfer from the airport through the Concierge at our hotel. At 130 Euro it was quite expensive however we were pleasantly surprised at the service. We were met at the airport terminal by a chauffeured Mercedes which took us on a 20 minute drive to the main Venice car terminus. From here a private water taxi was waiting and took us directly to our hotel. When we arrived the weather was horrendous with torrential rain, however by booking the private transfer we were able to bypass everyone queuing in the rain. We were in our hotel room 90 minutes after landing, which is good going by anyone’s standards.

We stayed at the Duodo Palace Hotel, which is very conveniently located just a 10 minute walk from San Marco and the Rialto Bridge. This is a small (38 bedrooms) comfortable, 600 year old former palace. The bedroom walls are adorned with Venetian fabrics and frescoed ceilings which are quite amazing. We booked a superior room which included breakfast. The staff were extremely gracious and made our stay very enjoyable.

Whilst we had been adamant in advance that we were not going to hire a gondolier, we changed our minds and decided that we simply had to - it was 80 Euro for a 40 minutes ride for the 2 of us. We actually thoroughly enjoyed the experience as you see parts of Venice that you simply cannot see on foot.

We visited San Marco where I purchased some Murano glass beads - very expensive and I would recommend that you look elsewhere first

We also bought some bird seed to feed the pigeons - quite an experience but don’t do it if you are in the least way scared of birds. They really flock around you to get at the food.

In the evening we went back to San Marco and decided to sit and have a drink whilst listening to the live music. However they add an additional charge of 4.50 Euro per person just to listen to the music, which we considered outrageous considering they were charging 18.50 Euro for a gin and tonic.

For our transfer to the cruise terminal we again arranged for a private water taxi which cost 70 Euro. We were collected from our hotel at 10.30 for the 20 minute sail to the terminal. It is a wonderful way to start your cruise and a real must as far as we are concerned for arriving at the cruise terminal in Venice. Our luggage was taken off us at the quay-side and we had literally a 200 yard walk to check-in

The water bus (alliguna) from the airport is much cheaper than the water taxis but then you have to drag your bags to the hotel. If your hotel is not close to San Marco, I would definitely spring for the water taxi. Its a pretty good hike to the water taxi station at the airport BTW.

I would certainly stay in Venice proper, not on the mainland. It is an experience not to be missed, even if it is not cheap.

My favorite Hotel is the Westin Europa and Regina, close to San Marco and on the Grand Canal. There are lots of small hotels all over Venice and a search of Tripadvisor.com will give many good recommendations.

Cheers

Thanks everyone for all the great information!!! It has really been helpful. I do have another question...we will be spending a few days in venice, how do we go about exchanging US dollars for euros?? is that something that we need to do at home before leaving (is that even possible)?? are major credit cards accepted so we don't have to carry so much cash?? are traveler's checks a better idea??

Any other first timer advice/tips/info would be great!!! You all are awesome, thanks so much for everything so far and I hope to hear more.

I would get a few euros..enough to pay for water bus , bus or cab to hotel. I normally get a couple of hundred in euros , US $ or whatever pay for everything I can with credit card...exchange rate is normally better via the card...but check your card...some charge a premium for this..you can get Euros from an atm in europe...major credit cards accepted most places..but if you buy street stuff you need cash ..if you have US cash some places will take...there are also exchange places that will give you euros for $ at an ok rate...sometimes better than hotels give..another check on your credit card and atm card...my understanding is that some of the us ones have 5 digit passwords and europe uses a 4 digit one...never experience this myself but have read about it...check this out with your bank before you go...also have a second credit card available...my credit card company put a hold on my credit card...cause I was making charges in the US...the left a message on my home phone...really good as I WAS in the US....I have carried at least 2 cards ever since....I also now advise my credit card company when I will be travelling

Watch for "extra" fees when using a credit card. Most are now charging a "foreign transaction" fee of ~2% or so on any charge. I got a Capital One card which is one of the few that does not charge such a fee.

If you are a member of a credit union, they are the most likely not to charge these fees or withdrawal fees from an ATM.

Best bet is to get a few euros at a Bank ATM at the airport for incidentals until you can get to one with the same network as your bank card. I only carry as much as could afford to lose at one time. Keep the rest in the Hotel safe and charge everything else.

The good advice about telling your bank etc you will be traveling is a good idea. I have watched many folks panic when their card is rejected. Most can get it unfrozen but the phone bills back to the states are not trivial.

Cheers

About the soda card ... it is something like $6/per day and must be purchased on the first day for the entire lenght of your cruise. In other words, the costs can really add up quickly. Canned soda costs a little over $2 with gratuity, so in other words, you would have to drink more than three sodas per day to make the soda card worthwhile. If it makes a difference, the soda card is for fountain soda, not out of a can.

Thanks everyone for all the great information!!! It has really been helpful. I do have another question...we will be spending a few days in venice, how do we go about exchanging US dollars for euros?? is that something that we need to do at home before leaving (is that even possible)?? are major credit cards accepted so we don't have to carry so much cash?? are traveler's checks a better idea??

Any other first timer advice/tips/info would be great!!! You all are awesome, thanks so much for everything so far and I hope to hear more.

I would get your euros before you leave the states. That's the easiest way and it will be one less thing to worry about when you get there. If you choose not to get them ahead of time, I know some airports now have currency exchange kiosks or you could just walk into a local bank and get it there.

I would get your euros before you leave the states. That's the easiest way and it will be one less thing to worry about when you get there. If you choose not to get them ahead of time, I know some airports now have currency exchange kiosks or you could just walk into a local bank and get it there.

Generally speaking, getting Euros in the States is not a good idea. The banks charge a pretty stiff fee and give pretty poor rate. YMMV I would just wait until the arrival airport and use a Bank ATM for the first handful. I would also avoid the Kiosks as they generally have the worst exchange rates.

Cheers

If you will be in Venice for a few days before and/or after the cruise, I would suggest catching a vaporetto (water bus) to the island of Murano, where glass-blowing has been done there for a thousand years. Glass-blowing shops will often invite tourists in to watch a glass-blowing demo for free--sometimes they even offer water shuttles from Venice to their stores for free as well--of course the only exit from the demo will be through their gift shop. (Note that if you catch the free water shuttle to Murano, it's usually a free one-way ride only, you will have to pay to take the vaporetto back.) :rolleyes:

The journey from Venice to Murano takes about 10-20 minutes depending on which part of Venice you are at, and costs 6 euros each way (unless you get an unlimited pass, which costs 12 euros for 13 hrs of unlimited travel or 15 euros for 24 hrs).

The vaporetti are how Venetians get around--it's just like getting on a big-city transit bus--same line-ups, same bus shelters, etc. Just ask the staff at a vaporetto stop which vaporetto to take, theyspeak English and will make sure you get there. There are several stops at Murano, I would suggest the Museo stop is the closest to the glass shops, good sight-seeing, etc.

Where do I get euros here in the states?? My local bank or somewhere else?

Thanks again for all the help anyone!!!!

A great big welcome to Cruise Critic from a fellow Kentuckian. We live in Louisville. Also, welcome to the wonderful world of cruising........you may become addicted.

We will be on the Splendour in March when it does a transatlantic to Lisbon to begin its European schedule.

Go to the roll-call section of cruise critic and you should be able to find a roll call already started, join in. You will be able to meet some of your fellow passengers and they can also help you with any other questions you may have. We love meeting people on the ship that we have come to know thru CC.

Your Sea Pass is your cruise lifeline. You use it when getting off and onto the ship, you use it to get into your cabin, you use it whenever you buy something on the ship, you use it for any spa services (try a hot stone massage).

When we first started cruising we tried to do everything, now that we are somewhat seasoned we tend to take it a little slower. We still get up early-sevenish, even on sea days. Of course, we tend to go to sleep earlier than a lot of people on the ship.

After boarding if you have any questions, just go to the purser's desk.

If you have any other questions, fire away.

Where do I get euros here in the states?? My local bank or somewhere else?

Thanks again for all the help anyone!!!!

I got some euros from my local Currency Exchange. They had to order

them so it took a few days to arrive. I did this because it was my

first trip to Europe and I didn't feel right not having any euros on

me when we landed. It was pretty expensive to exchange the money

so in retrospect I exchanged too much here in the states and should

have just relied on ATM's over there when I got there.

So maybe exchange a little bit over here, if that would make you

feel more comfortable, but for the rest of your trip I'm sure you'll

be using the ATM.

Oh, by the way, what a great cruise to start off your cruising

career!!!! I had to cruise for 20 years before I got over there.

A great big welcome to Cruise Critic from a fellow Kentuckian. We live in Louisville. Also, welcome to the wonderful world of cruising........you may become addicted.

We will be on the Splendour in March when it does a transatlantic to Lisbon to begin its European schedule.

Go to the roll-call section of cruise critic and you should be able to find a roll call already started, join in. You will be able to meet some of your fellow passengers and they can also help you with any other questions you may have. We love meeting people on the ship that we have come to know thru CC.

Your Sea Pass is your cruise lifeline. You use it when getting off and onto the ship, you use it to get into your cabin, you use it whenever you buy something on the ship, you use it for any spa services (try a hot stone massage).

When we first started cruising we tried to do everything, now that we are somewhat seasoned we tend to take it a little slower. We still get up early-sevenish, even on sea days. Of course, we tend to go to sleep earlier than a lot of people on the ship.

After boarding if you have any questions, just go to the purser's desk.

If you have any other questions, fire away.

Hey, nice to meet you!!! I live in Oldham County. My friends and I are very very excited about this cruise. We just have no idea what to expect. This whole trip will be a lot of new experiences. We have never been out of the US, so the trip to Italy and spending time in Venice after the cruise will be amazing as well. Like I said, there is just so much we don't know but we are still looking forward to it. None of us speak Italian either so hopefully that won't cause too many problems when we are staying in Venice.

None of us speak Italian either so hopefully that won't cause too many problems when we are staying in Venice.

English is widely spoken so don't worry. I would get a phrase book and learn some basics to start a conversation. Menu's are usually printed in at least Italian and English along with sometimes German, Spanish, French etc. If it is not, you can ask for an English Menu since most places have them. If not, just pick what sounds good and prepared to be pleasantly surprised (or not).:D

Cheers

Archived