Floating Flea Market

rayj130

The only times it irks me at all are when crewmembers present something to you-- in general I'm referring to alcoholic beverages-- as though it were free, and then it turns out they're just personally extending you a friendly invitation to pay $5 for a daiquiri or something. On plenty of occasions I'm willing to pay the $5, such as at the Sail-Away party or whatever, but it can be awkward when you think something's free of charge and it turns out it isn't. (Luckily, after however many cruises, I've pretty much figured out where the freebies are and where they aren't.)

But overall, as some posters have mentioned, plenty of people actually derive a lot of enjoyment from blowing money buying all kinds of watches and handbags and drinks on a cruise, so if it makes them happy and I can just walk on by, I'm fine with it. :)

I just ignore them for the most part. Although I'll occassionally buy a bottle of some booze that's not available in the US if the price is right. That's normally on the last day.

DW and both tend to pick up t-shirts on the last day too, but that's all part of the vacation so far as I'm concerned.

I will admit to some under the breath laughter when wandering through the art auctions. PT Barnum would love them.

" Sky King was one of my very favorite old radio programs when I was a young girl (a few years ago!:D). I fantacized about being "Penny."

Was also a Sky King fan. If I had bit a bit older, I'm sure that I'd have fantasized a bit about Penny also;).

Was just on the Mariner in October and the sales didn't bother me at all. Some people are interested in that sort of thing, some are not. I looked to see what they had but wasn't interested so went about my merry way to do something else on the beautiful ship. No problem. :)

I think it is fun to browse on the cruise ships. The only thing that concerns me is that they place things in the Promenade so that it crowds with an already heavy traffic flow area. But, I guess that is the point...to target an area that sees a lot of traffic (potential buyers). I'll get my first experience on the Nav in a couple days. Never been on a ship with a Promenade, but have heard the complaints of those who hate the shopping tables placed in the center. On the other ships I've been on...the shopping was in an isolated area of the ship that could easily be avoided. It sounds like it is more "in your face" on the ships with Promenades.

Is it just me or has Royal Caribbean turned their ships in to floating flea markets. Large amounts of space, staff and time dedicated to trying to sell me gold by the inch and anything else they can trot out and put a price tag on. I'd rather pay a higher fare and be left alone to enjoy my vacation. Is anyone else bothered by the constant sales blocking the Royal Promenade or the exit to the Windjammer? Am I alone on this?

To be honest I´ve never seen the sales table blocking anything. It´s the crowd of people interested in the stuff that blocks the way. ;)

With so many people being interested in the stuff I guess the cruise lines do a good job in offering it.

I´m not interested in it and just go ahead but I´m not th eleast bit bothered by it.

Glad they are held after the last Formal Night, imagine the garb that would be consdiered "acceptable" in the DR then!

Or the lady who is angry that she spent $20 on the $5.99 watch only to find it on sale on the last sea day for $10.00 and is trying to get a refund!

Glad they are held after the last Formal Night, imagine the garb that would be consdiered "acceptable" in the DR then!

Or the lady who is angry that she spent $20 on the $5.99 watch only to find it on sale on the last sea day for $10.00 and is trying to get a refund!

I've seen boxes of "sale" items being hauled out for the last night, they haul it back and forth every cruise. I don't think it's the same "sale" items they have out earlier in the week. I rarely buy anything on a cruise ship, the markup and quality is ridiculous, even the "sale" stuff, but it's an hour or so to while away if you get bored reading your book on sea days.

Kind of amusing to me is a jewelry store in our local mall is "going out of business" and has signs up stating their prices are up to 70% off. Crowds flock to the store, the stuff is not worth what they are charging and it has been "going out of business" for at least 6 months now. They keep getting shipments all the time. Large department stores advertise sales all the time and people flock to them. What they don't know is the price tag is marked higher, then marked down, or the merchandise is special brought in for the sale event, usually cheap junk. I work part time at the mall and see this going on all the time. Many people just believe the "sale" hype.

As far as crowds go and blocking exits or walkways, you can find that anywhere on a cruise ship, or local mall, or pretty much anywhere. I've no idea why a party of 4 needs to walk slowly abreast, stopping to chat or look at something whilst people are trying to get around them. When we walk with another couple, we walk in pairs of 2, it's so much easier that way to carry on a converstation that all 4 of us can hear at the same time. And...you don't block the passage of people walking more quickly than you care to. So many people are so unaware of what is going on around them, they are only into what they want or what is good for them, ignoring others around them.

I have never been asked to buy something by these people. Its there and i can see it as I walk by if I chose, but they were never pushy with us. I consider this stuff more costume jewelry. I actually kinda like the ones they have in the Promenade area on the Voyager class....We get some good deals on sweatshirts and tee's. We have sailed enough to know to wait until the last day when the reduce the prices. Even by having the items for sale I look at it like they are trying to have something for everyone. At least they dont push like they do in Jamaica.....;)

I agree with you....people have a choice whether or not they want to buy ...or continue on their way...if they think they are getting a deal, so be it...we've never been pressured to buy...nobody is twisting arms here to make a sale...

Many say the same thing about the Art Auctions and their taking up space in one of the lounges :rolleyes:

OMG....don't get me started on the Art Auctions.....I would love to throw the auctioneer overboard, he is always so rude and obnoxious! :eek: :eek:

BTW...... Hi neighbor, come join us on our AZ thread, the link is in my signature. :)

Archived