Flying in day of cruise.....

VOS08

We had a similar experience in June 2007 when returning from our Alaska cruise. We had to change planes in Minneapolis. Everything seemed okay as we boarded on time. After sitting on the plane for a couple of hours they told us the flight was cancelled. The northeast was having severe thunderstorms and airports were closed. We couldn't fly out until the next afternoon, about a 24 hour delay. This could easily have happened on our way to Alaska so we learned our lesson. We fly out at least one day early and prefer to fly out two days early.

I always arrive at least one day before and sometimes earlier depending on the distance and weather conditions. I traveled for twenty years every week by air on my job and have a lot of stories about canceled flights, delayed flights and missed connections. It definitely helped being a frequent flier and in the top tier of their loyalty program. I had priority over empty seats on the next flight and they sometimes sent me on another airline without any demands from me. Now I am just a common retiree and have to go with the masses. From experience my advice is to always go early, relax and board the ship calm and joyous.

Very WRONG. Several years ago on a Friday in May, I was booked on a 10AM flight from Cincinnati to Newark on Delta after a business trip. The flight was scheduled to arrive in Newark before noon. I figured I'd be home enjoying the beginning of the weekend by 1 PM. After boarding, it was determined that there were mechanical problems and the flight was cancelled. Since Cincinnati is a Delta hub, a second plane at a gate some distance from the first was substituted. After boarding, it was determined that this second plane also had mechanical problems and the passengers were advised to go back to the original gate where a plane would come in from San Francisco en route to Newark. At this point, it was well after noon. Only some of the Newark passengers could be accommodated on this third flight, and luckily I was one of them. The 3 o'clock scheduled departure from the gate was more like 4 o'clock. As we taxied, I could see very dark skies descending on the area. The pilot announced that the airport had closed due to severe thunderstorms. As a result, we sat on the taxiway for close to 2 hours. We finally took off for the 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hour flight, only to be told that we had to hold for 45 minutes due to more weather. We finally landed well after 8 o'clock. After waiting in a huge line for a taxi, I finally arrived at my home around 10PM, 9 hours late. This could have been somebody on their way to a cruise. God only knows when the other passengers, who couldn't get on the third flight, got to their destinations. I cannot believe that people on these boards are still recommending coming in the same day. Thunderstorms can wreak as much havoc as winter snow storms.

Very good advice and comon sense. Always arrive early.

I am going on the Carnival Liberty on May 9th out of Miami and not sure whether to fly in a day before or fly in early that morning. The difference is that tickets the day before are $100 more than flying in that morning and then I would have to get a hotel and my own transportation to the cruise terminal. I dont want to miss the ship if I decide to fly in the day of and the plane gets delayed. Any advice on what to do? By the way the flight that leaves that morning leaves at 6 AM and gets in Miami at 9:30 AM. Thanks for any help!:D

fly in the day befor better safe then sorry.

I am going on the Carnival Liberty on May 9th out of Miami and not sure whether to fly in a day before or fly in early that morning. The difference is that tickets the day before are $100 more than flying in that morning and then I would have to get a hotel and my own transportation to the cruise terminal. I dont want to miss the ship if I decide to fly in the day of and the plane gets delayed. Any advice on what to do? By the way the flight that leaves that morning leaves at 6 AM and gets in Miami at 9:30 AM. Thanks for any help!:D

All the posts strongly advise you to fly in the day before. WE AGREE. One of the reasons you state for flying in "the morning of" is a $100 per ticket price increase. Keep rechecking ticket costs. They can vary day-to-day; even hour-to-hour; and definitely airline-to-airline and on various internet search sites. [And some search sites do not include some of the low-cost air carriers.] Also check costs on flying into Fort Lauderdale. We normally fly on vacation as a party of three so we have had to become quite adept in searching for the lowest airfares.

That's why I love living less than 10 minutes from the airport (with 2 more airports within a 45 minute drive). And especially love living in a city with many, many, many flights every day to port cities. If there's a problem with the flight I'm on, there are at least 15 other flights I can get on that will still get me there with time to spare (more if I don't mind switching airports).

you are so lucky to live so close to the port. having to fly to the ship is so costly and stressful.

I agree with your risk assessment.

I personally get more stressed flying in a day early. I don't particularly like staying in hotels. Cheaper ones are usually not clean or comfortable. Having to plan an overnight bag is extra bother. Even using an online discounter we typically spend about 150 for that one night. And if you add only two extra meals. and extra transportation. we will typically add about 300 to a vacation. We book inside cabins in low season. So our cost p night is usually about 80 pp. So adding 300 to stay in a hotel where we can have problems including one extra chance to catch a virus is not a plus for me.

Two sides to the same question.

Just about every one here feels the opposite. Besides, you're more likely to catch a virus from your flight than from a hotel room. I can't imagine adding a hotel room to your stay would be more stressful than the possiblity of missing your cruise because something went wrong with the flight.

We fly in from the snowy north. We always fly in 2-3 days early. It allows me to wind down and really enjoy the cruise and it gives time for unanticipated delays. We are independent travellers-we never buy cruise air, hotel, transfers, or insurance. What we save pays for our pre and post cruise stay.

We fly in from the snowy north. We always fly in 2-3 days early. It allows me to wind down and really enjoy the cruise and it gives time for unanticipated delays. We are independent travellers-we never buy cruise air, hotel, transfers, or insurance. What we save pays for our pre and post cruise stay.

Works for us as well.

I am all about flying in early but in the case of extreme circumstances I will bend the rules to some departure ports. Luckily for me there are hourly flights to Miami so I tend to not worry about that port so much.

What you need to do is look at what your plan B is if something did happen to your flight. If your plan B still gets you to the ship than its O.K. to fly in the same day. If plan B results in you possibly missing the ship than you really should bite the bullet and go the more expensive route by flying in early. If not than you are playing Russian Roulette with your cruise.

Archived