Recent experience with Oosterdam Medical?

lastlook

If anyone has any information on the medical staff/facilities on the Oosterdam, please let me know what you can. My sister and her family are about to sail, and one member is newly "expecting" and is going through the "green" phase. My sister is looking for reassurance. Many thanks for any insight.

The medical staff on all Holland America ships is top notch. The doctors are all US licensed, board certified, and usually come from family practice or emergency medical backgrounds. Our last cruise the doctor was actually the department head and professor of emergency medicine at the Pritzker School of Medicine at the University of Chicago. They rotate around and usually serve something like 6-week tours so it's not like you can say for sure a particular doctor is going to be on a particular ship but they will have one and they're typically very good. Since I'm listed as a doctor they almost always contact me after I board the ship. I'm a retired shrink so I'm not much use to them. :o

I saw the doctor on our Oosterdam cruise in October to Mexico. I had a migraine headache that Advil wasn't helping and didn't want to stay aboard while my family was out having a good time. The medical staff was very professional and I received some headache meds from the doctor that helped me shake the migraine. The charge for the service was acceptable. I'm having a little trouble with our insurance, though, because the Mexican cruise is considered an International cruise and the paperwork is different. That aside, I would feel comfortable with the Oosterdam's Medical Department. Have a good time.

I have one bit of advice if she is still in the "green" stage - get Sea-bands. They have a dot that presses on the Vagus nerve which helps not only to prevent seasickness, but morning sickness, too.

They are usually available at CVS or Walgreen's.

Roberta

Archived