Uniworld Food Review and Menus

Ship's Wake

Uniworld has local beers. I think that I drank Grolsch beer on tap on both my cruises.

redtr6-- Uniworld does have decaf coffee. I will warn you though that any cup of coffee that I had in Europe, was not like we have here. It seems like they use some sort of pressed type filter when they make the coffee. It's different than our drip machines here.

I don't think I had one really good cup of coffee until I got back home.

For the tea drinkers, they had many different types of tea bags. Herbal teas also.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the detailed information about your Uniworld cruise!

We are taking our first river cruise this summer -- and it's a big one -- Uniworld's 32-day "Paris & Grand European Waterways" from Bucharest to Paris. Hopefully, the food and service on the River Princess will be comparable to your cruise.

Maybe you would receive the Real Budwizer from Chech Republic.

I always carry packets of individual serving decaf coffee and crystal lite type mix. There is usually a coffee machine that has hot water, but not decaf. Also I do not like the taste of some of the bottle waters and will add a packet of lemon favored mix to the bottle.

Also if you use only 1 type of sugar substitue carry what you use. There is usually some type of sugar substitue, but not the variety you find in the USA.

Have a great time.

MSEm

• 4 months later...

I just returned from the Uniworld's River Baroness Paris to Normandy cruise in July. It was my 1st river cruise after over 25 ocean cruises and I can highly recommend it to everyone. In fact, I had such a good time I am going again, this time doing the Christmas Markets with my DH. I took my Paris trip with my mid 30's daughter and was concerned she would feel out of place, but as it turned out that there were a dozen or so (only 124 people on board) people in her age group, a number of "mothers and daughters" traveling together, even a couple of teenagers. The majority on board were in the late 50's to late 70's , but active, well traveled people. We were fortunate to meet 2 couples ( one I actually "met" on these CC boards), one in the early 50's & one late 30's. We all seem to hit it off from the beginning (still e-mail, & facebook) and so ate & toured together.

Back to the topic of this thread......THE FOOD +++VERY GOOD & INTERESTING, NOT NECESSARILY THINGS YOU WOULD HAVE ON THE OCEAN CRUISES++++

I also received a copy of the menus. One thing to keep in mind, at least for Uniworld, their meals are regional, meaning they prepare food based on the area you are crusing, so don't think (like on cruise ships) that every Uniworld ship serves the same meal on day 1, 2 etc.

Also, besides the daily menu items if there is nothing that appeals to you, you can always order a steak, salmon, or chicken breast. On the Captains welcome and farewell dinner nights the menu is a set 7 or 8 course menu, so I can't say if you don't like it you could order the other items, but considering how the staff seems to bend over backwards to make their guest happy, I would imagine you could. A few people commented while on the cruise that they felt that some of the portions were rather small. At a few of the meals I would agree with that statement, but then knowone, at least at our table, asked for seconds on anything but the wonderful rolls, but I'm sure if we had they would have provided more. Desserts were out of this world!!! At lunch their was a table of various dessert & the gentlemen serving them made it VERY DIFFICULT for you to have "just one". Needless to say our tablemates and us all had bigger waistlines when we left the ship than when we boarded. At dinner besides wine, (red and white), beer (they had Bud, Kronberg, & if think Heiniken) you could also order soda. Any other meal if you wanted any of these beverages you were charged. I ordered a Diet Coke a couple of times at lunch, it was 3 Euros. Based on when I was traveling 1 Euro= $1.44 USD that made my diet Coke over $4.00 !!! A little steep I thought.

Suggestion that was made to me before I left and I am happy that I followed was to pack a insulated mug (like the ones you can buy at Starbucks) with a lid. I found that my mug held 2 servings from the coffee machine in the lobby area (yes, they do have glass mugs there to use). With the lid on, it stayed warm, I could manage the drink without spilling it as I walked up to the sun deck area to enjoy my drink and take in the beautiful scenery.

If you are thinking about taking a River Cruise my vote is DO IT!! Maybe I'll see you aboard, I plan on doing a lot more of them!!!

• 1 year later...

Hello!

Joe, (and others) thank you for your in-depth review. It is helpful, as I too, find it hard to get some needed little details.

My wife and I are sailing on the River Beatrice/Christmas markets in early December. We live in Los Angeles and will be flyinginto Munich, then boarding in Passau.

We are wondering what we actually need to pack as we are trying to keep our luggage to a minimum as requested.

What bathroom amenities are actually provided?

How was the average weather and what type of clothing seemed comfortable as you moved around?

Any tips? We have never cruised before or traveled abroad--we are excited and celebrating 25 years!

Thanks to any feedback...

Matt

Hello!

Joe, (and others) thank you for your in-depth review. It is helpful, as I too, find it hard to get some needed little details.

My wife and I are sailing on the River Beatrice/Christmas markets in early December. We live in Los Angeles and will be flyinginto Munich, then boarding in Passau.

We are wondering what we actually need to pack as we are trying to keep our luggage to a minimum as requested.

What bathroom amenities are actually provided?

How was the average weather and what type of clothing seemed comfortable as you moved around?

Any tips? We have never cruised before or traveled abroad--we are excited and celebrating 25 years!

Thanks to any feedback...

Matt

The best advice I can give is dress in layers, as if you were going on an Alaska cruise. You could have a mild winter, or you could experience blizzard conditions, or anything in-between. It could be in the 40s during the afternoon, or it could be zero-degrees in the afternoon. Weather is so unpredictable.

Styme64, StarTrekGeek's advice is excellent.

We lived in northern Germany and Holland for a few years and layers are a necessity. We always take silk long underwear as it makes a excellent and very lightweight underlayer. (Campmore and Sierra Trading Post are great sources, as are TravelSmith & Winter Silks). Don't forget liner socks, toes get cold!

Reference the food discussion, We did the Burgandy and Provance cruise on Uniworld last Nov and the food was excellent. The most impressive thing however was the care that was take of my Lady. She has some rather severe food allergies. We mentioned these to our waiter the first day and from that day on, each day, the the head waiter/food and beverage manager would personally find us and go over the menu saying "you can have this, but should not have that". Additionally he made sure there was always something for her available even if it needed to be slightly modified for her.

That is customer care!

Enjoy your trip, Stymie, we will wave to you as we go by in the opposite direction.

Mark

PS. The bathroom supplies on our Uniworld cruise were totally adaquate, so unless you have to have a specific soap or shampoo, only pack a small (travel size) amount.

Archived