Concierge Yes or NO

irv54

Depends on the cost. We did concierge class on the Mercury a few years ago and we really enjoyed the larger cabin and balcony. That was the selling point for us but it was about $100 more per person and at that time, we wanted to try it.

The free champagne worked well for morning mimosas. Afternoon snacks were average but we followed the recommendation of others who suggested asking for cheese and crackers in the afternoon, which was a nice treat after a day in port.

Other perks not sure really mattered (ie flowers in room).

Guess since we booked CC again for our next Celebrity cruise in May, we felt it was worth it.

We plan to sail on the Mercury and was wondering if upgrading from a balcony to cc was worth the money

Thanks

Happy holiday to all

Unless you can get rooms 1200,1201,1240 or 1241 which have huge verandas, I would say no. It would help if we knew what the upgrade difference in price would be.

First you don't say how much money. Is it $20 or $2000? I've seen both depending on the cruise and the demand for CC rooms.

We choose CC rooms on most of our cruises for the location and room size. Some of the amenities are nice, while others are worthless. However if the price difference is anything more than nominal it is hard to justify based on amenities alone. The nicer ones are Champagne (although it is just a so-so inexpensive bottle), larger table on veranda for breakfast, and slightly upgraded linens and towels. The worthless ones are the canapes which we very seldom eat and the toy-like binoculars among others.

On Mercury room size isn't a factor like it is on the M Class ships since on Mercury (assuming it is the same as Galaxy) the CC rooms are no larger than the balcony rooms. The only exception might be the rooms on deck 12 which have giant verandas.

Is it worth it? Well, even if I knew the amount I'd only express an opinion if the price difference was nominal (do it!) or very large (don't do it!). Worth and value are relative terms - There are some cruisers who'd never consider sailing other than in a large suite and others who think anything more than a basic inside cabin is a waste of money. I always say that if the price difference for a nicer room doesn't break your travel budget and will not make a difference on what you can spend on shore activities or on-board spending like bar drinks, spa or wine then take the nicer room. But if it does make a difference then take the lesser room and save your money for these other activities. I'd much rather have a lesser room and still go to the martini bar every night and have wine with dinner then have a nicer room and forgo these pleasures.

We plan to sail on the Mercury and was wondering if upgrading from a balcony to cc was worth the money

Thanks

Happy holiday to all

For us, no, unless the cost increase is very small. The larger cabin is nice, but the other perks just didn't seem worth the extra cost.

For us, it depends on the itinerary. If we're tendering more than docking, we prefer CC and above for the preferred 'get off the ship' status.

We also enjoy the MDR table seating preferences... and down pillows are high on our list.

Here's a list, cut/pasted from the =X= web site:

Concierge Class Indulgences:

spacer.gif

• Welcome champagne • Daily fruit selection • Fresh-cut flowers • Daily hors d'oeuvres • Menu of pillows-Conformance, Body, Goose, and Isotonic® • Duvets and pillow-top mattresses • Leather key holder, personalized stationery and a tote bag, Frette bathrobes • Hansgrohe® showerhead • VIP invitations to events • Early embarkation and debarkation • Dining and seating preference • Preference on shore excursions • Express luggage delivery • Shoeshine service

Should be noted that the showerheads are on the Solstice... don't believe they're on the M-class ships in all CC cabins...

Here's a list, cut/pasted from the =X= web site:

spacer.gif

• Welcome champagne • Daily fruit selection • Fresh-cut flowers • Daily hors d'oeuvres • Menu of pillows-Conformance, Body, Goose, and Isotonic® • Duvets and pillow-top mattresses • Leather key holder, personalized stationery and a tote bag, Frette bathrobes • Hansgrohe® showerhead • VIP invitations to events • Early embarkation and debarkation • Dining and seating preference • Preference on shore excursions • Express luggage delivery • Shoeshine service

We debated if we should book the CC cabin for our first X cruise in February. But, when I saw what they offered it wasn't worth the extra $200 and I can bring a couple of bottles of Champagne aboard and order room service for trays of cheese/crackers..... The other perks are somewhat irrelevant.

We debated if we should book the CC cabin for our first X cruise in February. But, when I saw what they offered it wasn't worth the extra $200 and I can bring a couple of bottles of Champagne aboard and order room service for trays of cheese/crackers..... The other perks are somewhat irrelevant.

Only $200.00, extra, well that is a bargain.

We were in a CC cabin on an m-class. I wouldn't book one again unless they were for short $$$.

spacer.gif

• Welcome champagne- nice to have

• Daily fruit selection-can get fruit from the buffet

• Fresh-cut flowers- these were just a few of those cheap flowers you see in bud vases at the local diner. I was very disappointed.

• Daily hors d'oeuvres- were awful. You can order shrimp cocktail from room service if you'd like a nice afternoon appetizer

• Menu of pillows-the ones on the bed were just fine. I'm not sure if these are different than in other cabins.

• Duvets and pillow-top mattresses- are these the same as in other cabins? I'm not sure but they were nice.

• Leather key holder- embossed with Celebrity

personalized stationery- this was silly. just a couple of sheets of note paper with our name at the top.

tote bag- This was useful

Frette bathrobes- nice, but not worth paying for

• Hansgrohe® showerhead- didn't notice any difference

• VIP invitations to events- there were no special events on our trip

• Early embarkation and debarkation- we were early so didn't need express embarkation. We had to wait with everyone else to disembark.

• Dining and seating preference- we weren't aware of this, but didn't have any trouble booking at the specialty restaurant

• Preference on shore excursions- we booked online prior to the cruise so didn't need this

• Express luggage delivery- several our bags arrived at our room hours after the others

• Shoeshine service- we shined our shoes before the cruise

Room service breakfast menu- we did enjoy the smoothies that I understand were only available to cc and suites!

Except for one year of cruising Celebrity we have had CC cabins.. the one year we didn't there was a definite difference in service..it may have been my imagination... This year our cabin steward was absolutely outstanding..Okay, it might be a few $$ more but found it was worthwhile. Wanted to cancel an appt. and couldn't get through on the phone and the Conceirge took care of it. Our cabin steward did something I had never seen before..there was a napkin on the side of the bed on the floor...it is the little things.. and yes.. I love the flowers.. we do trans-atlantic cruises.. When i mentioned to o ur steward that I needed something he was back withiin 15 minutes with the items..He put away our luggage under the bed almost immediately..and what didnt' fit under the bed he took care of.. At my age i like the little touches..

Thanks

Happy holiday to all

We just recently debarked from the Millennium CC and I would have to say that unless it was $50 a person extra - I wouldn't bother. It didn't really have a lot of perks that warranted the $150.00 per person we paid for the services. However, if you enjoy the fresh flowers, fruit, and canapes (which where the same every three days - but good) and the choice of pillows - then go for it. We didn't have any tender ports so CC didn't make a difference there and for embarkation and debarkation we had Celebrity transfers so that didn't make a difference either. Had we known then - what we know now - we wouldn't have bothered.

Betty

Archived