Beginning 1/1/09, Shareholder OBC will be combinable with............

We own stock as well, and we will be eligible for the diamond balcony discount. Still plan to have those NC certificates in our travel drawer JUST IN CASE.:) Whether the offers become combinable again or not, our $100 still applies to the next cruise, and our friends/family still benefit if they travel with us. (Of course, we're losing all that high interest on our $100!!!!)

If the NC will no longer be combinable, the Diamond discount is/should be worth more than the $100-$200 OBC received from the NC OBC. Even the stockholder OBC is equal or more than the NC OBC, depending on the length of the cruise!:)

I have 1 NC certificate left, have no plans to Book another RC cruise, I don't care if I have to EAT the $100.00 loss!

If that changes then we will buy more NCs.

We usually had at least 4 of them on hand. But, we sail in a balcony or a JS and we own the stock. Buying more NCs is worthless to us at this point. :)

I totally agree with you. We bought 2 on our last cruise but we won't be buying anymore. Why would I want them to hold my money, even if it's just a couple hundred dollars. There's no reason for it!

Patty

If the NC will no longer be combinable, the Diamond discount is/should be worth more than the $100-$200 OBC received from the NC OBC. Even the stockholder OBC is equal or more than the NC OBC, depending on the length of the cruise!:)

I have 1 NC certificate left, have no plans to Book another RC cruise, I don't care if I have to EAT the $100.00 loss!

You don't have to eat the $100 loss. All you have to do is book a 3 day cruise and then cancel several days later and they will refund the $100 deposit to your credit card. Others have done this and it is legit. You will lose the OBC for that $100 and if they they become combinable in the future you will also lose that opportunity to save.

Its is up to you.

Does anyone know if the shareholder credit is good for sailings in 2009?

Yes the shareholder credit is still good. Just as of 1/1/09 you can no longer Combine the shareholder OBC with a Diamond discount or any other OBC, except RC Visa card perks!

You don't have to eat the $100 loss. All you have to do is book a 3 day cruise and then cancel several days later and they will refund the $100 deposit to your credit card. Others have done this and it is legit.

That's what we did... and we didn't even have to ask for the refund. RCI did it automatically (or maybe our TA handled it.)

LL

If that changes then we will buy more NCs.

We usually had at least 4 of them on hand. But, we sail in a balcony or a JS and we own the stock. Buying more NCs is worthless to us at this point. :)

I bought 2 NC in Sept. I heard the changes were going into effect, we booked a B2B on Oasis with the NC. I will never buy a NC or book onboard again as long as I own stock. I will most likely hold onto our stock until Sept 2010 (Oasis sailings) and if is close to what I paid after that then sell it. If the stock doesn't go back up and the rules stay the same my wife and I will have to weigh the diamond discount vs. onboard credit. I myself would lean toward a Promenade view and take the OBC . I'm sure my better half will want the Diamond discount and the balcony. ;)

No I don't like the changes, however I do realize that they have the right to do that. BUT for goodness sakes, I wish they would get their act together and everyone be on the same page. I should not get different answers depending on who I talk to on the phone or e-mail. I know there have been instances where 1 rep gave someone credit on the C&A coupons AFTER July & another rep refused!!! And as has been stated on this thread, I want RCCL to COMMUNICATE directly with me & every other C&A member as to the changes. Thank goodness for CC. How hard can it be--they send out a mass e-mail about promotions and such!!!

I've thought the same thing. RCI and C&A have both my and DH's email addresses and can send us info about promotions, etc but nothing arrives in my inbox about changes. :confused: I agree that CC is a great resource for what is happening/not happening and am glad we can at least have a "heads up" here. :)

Quick little update to my chart: cruises booked before 12/31/08 and will be switched after 1/1/09 will most likely be grandfathered in.

FL_Cruiser,

Oh, I hope your right!!! I have one booked for next Sept that I have to switch and was just going to cancel it for now since I wouldn't be able to combiine once I changed it. Now I'll wait and see if they grandfather us in. Thanks for keeping us posted!

Patty

p.s. where is your chart? I know I saved it under my favorites and now I can't find it.

Edited: Oops, I found it!!!

FL_Cruiser,

Oh, I hope your right!!! I have one booked for next Sept that I have to switch and was just going to cancel it for now since I wouldn't be able to combiine once I changed it. Now I'll wait and see if they grandfather us in. Thanks for keeping us posted!

Patty

p.s. where is your chart? I know I saved it under my favorites and now I can't find it.

Edited: Oops, I found it!!!

I had a brief talk today with someone. I will test it rather soon.

Great, I'll hold off on cancelling until I hear from you.

Patty

Hi Patty = Fl Cruiser = SuzyLuvs:

Just so I understand - I am holding two future cruise cert's -- I know I can no longer use the OBC cuz it's not combinable with the diamonds disct and the diamonds disct for the balcony is normally larger than the OBC from the future cruise cert... However, do I still have the $100 deposit that can go towards a cruise? or did I lose that too, since I won't be using that certificate? I am confused ...

All I know is, and I repeat what someone already wrote about - RCCL should email ALL of US re: changes!! they sure email us when they want to sell a cruise and tell us to book now for this special and that special - so why not tell us about changes via personal emails -- I know, I am dreaming...

Corkey Carol

Hi Patty = Fl Cruiser = SuzyLuvs:

Just so I understand - I am holding two future cruise cert's -- I know I can no longer use the OBC cuz it's not combinable with the diamonds disct and the diamonds disct for the balcony is normally larger than the OBC from the future cruise cert... However, do I still have the $100 deposit that can go towards a cruise? or did I lose that too, since I won't be using that certificate? I am confused ...

All I know is, and I repeat what someone already wrote about - RCCL should email ALL of US re: changes!! they sure email us when they want to sell a cruise and tell us to book now for this special and that special - so why not tell us about changes via personal emails -- I know, I am dreaming...

Corkey Carol

Carol,

About the communication from RCCL, yes, you are dreaming!!! LOL:D

You can still use your NC certificates but you won't get the OBC for them because most likely you'll use your D balcony discount instead, however, they still will be part of your deposit so if you book something and have to put a $500 deposit, the NC is $100 of it and then you put down $400 more.

Goodnight, talk to ya manana...........need to sleep!!

Patty

Carol,

About the communication from RCCL, yes, you are dreaming!!! LOL:D

You can still use your NC certificates but you won't get the OBC for them because most likely you'll use your D balcony discount instead, however, they still will be part of your deposit so if you book something and have to put a $500 deposit, the NC is $100 of it and then you put down $400 more.

Goodnight, talk to ya manana...........need to sleep!!

Patty

Thanx... at least I know I didn't lose my 100 bucks...

Fl Cruiser: do you think they will bring back the OBC that came with the Future cruise certs' and be able to combine it with the diamond discount if a lot of diamond folks complain? carol

Corkey Carol

I think we would all agree to that.

Yes, but this assumes that RCCL actually has a defined policy. I have seen numerous direct quotes from emails sent out by RCCL relative to combinablity and they all seem to vary in wording and do thereby vary in meaning. I just went to http://www.rclinvestor.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-shareholderbenefit and they do have a FAQ [#6] Can this benefit be combined with other offers, onboard credits and coupons? One might think that this would be a reliable definition of their policy, but the answer is: "The benefit is NOT available to company employees, travel agents, tour conductors and/or others utilizing complimentary or reduced-rate cruise fares. Benefit is not combinable when using inter-line rates or onboard chartered sailings". That sure does NOT answer our questions. I saw a recent mention on this thread of Future Cruise Certificates. Note that while there are Future Cruise Consultants on-board they sell Next Cruise Certificates; Future Cruise Certificates are what you recieve as a molifier for complaints about a previous cruise. I THINK that Future Cruise Certificates [as opposed to Next Cruise Certificates] are still combinable. RCCL might be able to make their policy more obtuse, but I'm not sure how.

Yes, but this assumes that RCCL actually has a defined policy. I have seen numerous direct quotes from emails sent out by RCCL relative to combinablity and they all seem to vary in wording and do thereby vary in meaning. I just went to http://www.rclinvestor.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-shareholderbenefit and they do have a FAQ [#6] Can this benefit be combined with other offers, onboard credits and coupons? One might think that this would be a reliable definition of their policy, but the answer is: "The benefit is NOT available to company employees, travel agents, tour conductors and/or others utilizing complimentary or reduced-rate cruise fares. Benefit is not combinable when using inter-line rates or onboard chartered sailings". That sure does NOT answer our questions. I saw a recent mention on this thread of Future Cruise Certificates. Note that while there are Future Cruise Consultants on-board they sell Next Cruise Certificates; Future Cruise Certificates are what you recieve as a molifier for complaints about a previous cruise. I THINK that Future Cruise Certificates [as opposed to Next Cruise Certificates] are still combinable. RCCL might be able to make their policy more obtuse, but I'm not sure how.

The information regarding combinability is located in a box at the top right hand corner. It states

Please note that as of December 31, 2008, the Shareholder Onboard Credit will not be combinable with other Onboard Booking Credits, Loyalty Programs and/or other Reduced Fare Offerings. For bookings made prior to December 31, 2008, the Shareholder Onboard Credit is combinable under certain conditions. Please direct queries to InvestorRelations@rccl.com, and a prompt response will be forthcoming.

The certain conditions would be redeeming Visa Points, OBC from Gift Certificates or OBC from a TA.

The information regarding combinability is located in a box at the top right hand corner. It states

Please note that as of December 31, 2008, the Shareholder Onboard Credit will not be combinable with other Onboard Booking Credits, Loyalty Programs and/or other Reduced Fare Offerings. For bookings made prior to December 31, 2008, the Shareholder Onboard Credit is combinable under certain conditions. Please direct queries to InvestorRelations@rccl.com, and a prompt response will be forthcoming.

The certain conditions would be redeeming Visa Points, OBC from Gift Certificates or OBC from a TA.

OOPS I saw the FAQ about "Can this benefit be combined..." and missed the box at the top. Sorry, my error. I assume that "Loyality Programs" include both C&A Coupons and P/D/D+ Balcony Discounts as not combinable.

Related to some of the comments about Next Cruise Certificates, I have [as do a number of people] a msg from Investors Relations stating that if there are non-combinable discounts [such as Next Cruise OBCs and Diamond Balcony Discounts (and/or Shareholder Discounts)], Investors Relations would apply the largest dollar amount unless specifically instructed otherwise.

Thom

OOPS I saw the FAQ about "Can this benefit be combined..." and missed the box at the top. Sorry, my error. I assume that "Loyality Programs" include both C&A Coupons and P/D/D+ Balcony Discounts as not combinable.

Related to some of the comments about Next Cruise Certificates, I have [as do a number of people] a msg from Investors Relations stating that if there are non-combinable discounts [such as Next Cruise OBCs and Diamond Balcony Discounts (and/or Shareholder Discounts)], Investors Relations would apply the largest dollar amount unless specifically instructed otherwise.

Thom

Hi Thom............that statement can be easily overlooked. Yes, the Loyalty Programs are just as you suggested. The C&A $$$ off coupons have not been combinable since late last year...............that's if they really enforced it.

You are correct............if you do not select one benefit, then RCI will select for you giving you the larger dollar amount. WOW...........isn't that generous of them.:D

Today (12/19/08) I received an email from Linda Buchanan from Investor Relations and beginning January 1, if you are a Shareholder you will be able to combine your Shareholder OBC and P/D/D+ balcony discount along with cashing in any VISA points.

So I guess this means that being a shareholder now will be more beneficial than booking a NC/FC while on a cruise.........since, if I understand how things will be after December 31, you can not combine an OBC from a NC/FC with a P/D/D+ balcony discount.

I see a war brewing between Investor Relations and C&A...........since IR is giving us two benefits and C&A is only allowing us one!!:(

Patti

I thought I had seen a post similar to this, but couldn't find it, so emailed RCI Investor relations today, here is the email I just received back from them

Dear Mr. xxxx,

Effective January 1, 2009, the Shareholder Benefit will no longer be combinable with the Crown & Anchor Platinum, Diamond and Diamond Plus Balcony/Suite Discount, Crown & Anchor Savings Certificates or Onboard Credit when booking a specific ship and sail date or when making a NextCruise reservation onboard.

In the event that non-combinable offers, promotions or benefits are available on any one reservation, you may choose the offer, promotion or benefit which is most advantageous for you.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.

RCL Investor Relations Department

This seems to contradict the email you received. Does anyone at RCI really know what is going on??:confused:

I really want to beleive your email and not mine, but I guess it depends on who looks at the reservation when you apply for the OBC

Simon

Patti

I thought I had seen a post similar to this, but couldn't find it, so emailed RCI Investor relations today, here is the email I just received back from them

Dear Mr. xxxx,

Effective January 1, 2009, the Shareholder Benefit will no longer be combinable with the Crown & Anchor Platinum, Diamond and Diamond Plus Balcony/Suite Discount, Crown & Anchor Savings Certificates or Onboard Credit when booking a specific ship and sail date or when making a NextCruise reservation onboard.

In the event that non-combinable offers, promotions or benefits are available on any one reservation, you may choose the offer, promotion or benefit which is most advantageous for you.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.

RCL Investor Relations Department

This seems to contradict the email you received. Does anyone at RCI really know what is going on??:confused:

I really want to beleive your email and not mine, but I guess it depends on who looks at the reservation when you apply for the OBC

Simon

Hey there Simon..............unfortunately your email is more accurate than mine.:(

I received mine on 12/18 and on 12/23 somebody else got an email that was in direct contrast to mine.

I will tell you, if you haven't read all of this thread, that there are more changes that are going to happen sometime in 2009.............we just don't know what.

Never a dull moment.....................

When all is said and done. I am under the opinion that RCL is doing a wonderful job of shooting itself in the foot.

With the cruise market more competative these days (and in 2009) it seems to me that RCL would be doing everything possible to keep its' loyal following and try to attract new customers with better markedting and (more Importantly) through word of mouth from its' current base.

I look at it this way. If RCL wants to take away the "benefits" of booking a cruise on board a ship combined with D/P/P++ and the stockholder benifit, then they are telling me to goout in the market and find better deal with other cruise lines.

I mean, what is the advantage to booking online if you are already a platnum or diamond member if you can't get some sort of deal?

Scott

Archived