PG13 tries again - Alaska help

PG13

What's my priority? was asked of me by the experts helping me, for my one week cruises with no time for pre or post trips. Must begin on a weekend.

My priority is to see as many glaciers from the ship as possible.

To meet that priority, I though many of you experienced cruisers seem to think was one way Alaska trips.

A second priority is to take a cruise that cruises close to shore. Relax and enjoy the scenary. I got the impression that a one way did that best too.

Glacier Bay, Hubbard, & College F seem like must see. I assume I can view these from the ship if I choose the right ship?? Can I see these things as well with a round trip???

Ho my very confusing.

What's my priority? was asked of me by the experts helping me, for my one week cruises with no time for pre or post trips. Must begin on a weekend.

My priority is to see as many glaciers from the ship as possible.

To meet that priority, I though many of you experienced cruisers seem to think was one way Alaska trips.

A second priority is to take a cruise that cruises close to shore. Relax and enjoy the scenary. I got the impression that a one way did that best too.

Glacier Bay, Hubbard, & College F seem like must see. I assume I can view these from the ship if I choose the right ship?? Can I see these things as well with a round trip???

Ho my very confusing.

If you want a round trip, look at this one from HAL. It leaves on a Saturday from Vancouver. With a round trip out of Vancouver you will have more scenic sailing than a round trip out of Seattle. Most round trips give you one scenic sailing day. This one has two. You get to sail Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm Fjord, both which were the highlights of our 18 day trip last summer:

Ship: ms Zuiderdam

Ports of Call: Vancouver, British Columbia; Tracy Arm, Alaska, USA; Juneau, Alaska; Skagway, Alaska; Glacier Bay Scenic Cruising; Ketchikan, Alaska

With this round trip you will get a beautiful trip to Glacier Bay and you will see a good number of glaciers. The beauty of this area is difficult to describe, but you will be in awe the entire time. Here are a few of my photos:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mdomaz/GlacierBay2008#

With this itinerary you will have another sailing day in Tracy Arm. This is a spectacular area to sail. Due to icy conditions that can be in the fjord, there is no guarentee the cruise ship will make it to the Sawyer Glaciers at the end of the fjord, however, the journey up the fjord is well worth the trip, with or without seeing the glaciers at the end. Here are my photos of Tracy Arm:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mdomaz/JuneauTracyArmCruise#

If you want additional opportunities to see glaciers, you can take a bus to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. You can also take glacier helicopter sightseeing tours out of either Juneau or Skagway.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/trails.html

If glaciers and scenery are a priority for you, I don't think you can go wrong with this itinerary. Just make sure that for both of your scenic sailing days you are up early and out on deck or in a good viewing area so you don't miss anything. Always check your daily program the night before, in case any time changes appear on the schedule. You really don't want to miss any of Glacier Bay or the Tracy Arm Fjord. They are both so beautiful. This itinerary is also available on the Volendam, which is a smaller ship, but it departs Vancouver on a Wednesday.

GLad to hear that cause that's pretty much waht I have decided. Either Westerdam or Zuiderdam. I think I've decided that N/S will wait for the next trip that way we spend less time flying. DIfference here is SUnday works best because DH will be workinf Friday and can I get a flight to Vancover Friday afternoon or early evening. If I can I'm jumping on it. If not then I'll go with Westerdam Sun. sailing . An added plus to Westwedam is she has recently be refitted, so I hear throught the boards. Minus is in Seattle so you get the rough seas and longer ride to Alaska. Anyway, getting way closer to the right decision. FUnny round trip was where I started. Thanks, Pat

The only way to view Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay is from your ship, but I don't know of any ship that goes to both on the same cruise. You can take a small-boat cruise into Prince William Sound out of Whittier, and some of those go into College Fjord. You can see both Glacier Bay and College Fjord on HAL and Princess one-ways, as well as Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm Fjord on the Zuiderdam roundtrip out of Vancouver, as vbmom87 mentioned.

I don't think it takes that much longer to get to Alaska out of Seattle than out of Vancouver, but you have more time sailing in open ocean - hence the rougher seas potential. On the other hand, one-way cruises cross the Gulf of Alaska as they travel to or from Seward/Whittier, so you could have some rough sailing then, too.

If you choose to sail on HAL Westerdam, the ship is in Juneau long enough for you to take the Adventure Bound small boat cruise to Tracy Arm Fjord that vbmom87 was on. However, it takes all day, and you wouldn't have time for whale watching in Juneau.

By the way - I responded to several of your questions on another thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=890862&page=2

GLad to hear that cause that's pretty much waht I have decided. Either Westerdam or Zuiderdam. I think I've decided that N/S will wait for the next trip that way we spend less time flying. DIfference here is SUnday works best because DH will be workinf Friday and can I get a flight to Vancover Friday afternoon or early evening. If I can I'm jumping on it. If not then I'll go with Westerdam Sun. sailing . An added plus to Westwedam is she has recently be refitted, so I hear throught the boards. Minus is in Seattle so you get the rough seas and longer ride to Alaska. Anyway, getting way closer to the right decision. FUnny round trip was where I started. Thanks, Pat

Since your initial comments seem to indicate that you are after scenery, I would cruise out of Vancouver. It will be a much more scenic cruise than one out of Seattle. Take a look at a map to see the difference.

Also, if you are after scenery, the ship should not be an issue. We were so into the scenery that we never took advantage of any of the ships offerings. We went in June with the long days of daylight, so we were out on deck or in the Crow's nest lounge with its panoramic viewing until bedtime. It is simply a matter of interests and priorities.

So with everybody's help, I narrowed it down to 2 trips and gave Dh a chance to put in his 2-cents, and Zuiderdam it is. Who knew:confused:, I thought he would want to sail on Sunday, I really wanted the Vancover port, and the Zuiderdam. I am so Geeked!!! :DI get to do 2 cruises and try HAL.

She's a pretty one, looks not to be as traditional as I've heard Hal ships were, but not the over the top decor of Carnival. Deco seem fairly modern. Appears at least an OV is in order as they appear more spacious. And I really like a window at least. Zuiderdam isn't as big as the ships we are used to but, seems like one of HAL's larger ones. Did I read that she has recently been refitted?? You guy were great and really patient with all us newbies to Alaska!!! Lots of waffling and confusion, but I am certain that this is the best fit for us. I haven't booked yet, will wait till I pay off spring break then deposit for summer.

Now I'm nosing around as others ask questions about excursions rather then me ask the same questions again. Harv and Marv are the first ones I contact once I get booked as a whale watching and glacier viewing sounds so great! Plus lots of you think they are the way to go. We only booked an excursion not through the ship one time and it didn't go so good even though it was highly recomended -Jamacia, need I say more??? Anyway I think it's time to try an independant again this trip.

That Zuiderdam trip is a wonderful cruise. Glacier Bay is THE premier spot for glacier viewing!

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/alaskaZ.html

for a very similar trip.

Have a GREAT cruise!

WOW! Those pictures were grest! Makes me ever more excited about our Alaska trip!! Thasnks for sharing. My kids aren't getting an inheritance I'm going to be aunt Ruth, and they can inherit great memories. Pat

So with everybody's help, I narrowed it down to 2 trips and gave Dh a chance to put in his 2-cents, and Zuiderdam it is. Who knew:confused:, I thought he would want to sail on Sunday, I really wanted the Vancover port, and the Zuiderdam. I am so Geeked!!! :DI get to do 2 cruises and try HAL.

She's a pretty one, looks not to be as traditional as I've heard Hal ships were, but not the over the top decor of Carnival. Deco seem fairly modern. Appears at least an OV is in order as they appear more spacious. And I really like a window at least. Zuiderdam isn't as big as the ships we are used to but, seems like one of HAL's larger ones. Did I read that she has recently been refitted?? You guy were great and really patient with all us newbies to Alaska!!! Lots of waffling and confusion, but I am certain that this is the best fit for us. I haven't booked yet, will wait till I pay off spring break then deposit for summer.

Now I'm nosing around as others ask questions about excursions rather then me ask the same questions again. Harv and Marv are the first ones I contact once I get booked as a whale watching and glacier viewing sounds so great! Plus lots of you think they are the way to go. We only booked an excursion not through the ship one time and it didn't go so good even though it was highly recomended -Jamacia, need I say more??? Anyway I think it's time to try an independant again this trip.

I think you made a great choice if you are after scenery. I don't know anything about the ship itself, however, you have a great opportunity to see some of the true highlights of Southeastern Alaska on this itinerary.

As far as Harv and Marv, I would book them now, even without a cruise booking. Just check their cancellation policy. In the past it was quite generous. I recall reading many posts of people who could not get a booking as they were full. Their boats only hold 6 people. Since you know the date you will be in Juneau, I would take care of that, as long as their cancellation policy is good.

We did independent tours in two out of three ports. We did the Adventure Bound Tracy Arm Cruise in Juneau and the Chilkoot Carcross Tour in Skagway. Both went off without a glitch. I used the recommendations on this board and I was very pleased. My sisters did the helicopter in Juneau through the cruiseline because the times worked out better than booking independently. They were very pleased with the Pilot's Choice Helicopter tour.

HAPPY PLANNING!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I also decided on the Zuiderdam thanks to the excellent advice on this board. I just booked the rooms today ( a deluxe verandah for my husband and I and a large inside stateroom acroos the hall for my mother-in-law). We're going on the July 25th sailing and I am stoked!

You will absolutely love HAL, and the Zuiderdam, while the decor is a little bright in places, it's still a beautiful ship, and has the same teakwood promenade deck all the way around the ship, that HAL is famous for. Wood deck chairs with wool blankets, free hot chocolate or split pea soup on deck on Glacier Bay day, fresh orchids on every table you see anywhere, even out doors by the pool, little chimes ring to announce dinner, the Elemis hair products in your cabins, the robes to wear (no need to lug one from home). I could go on and on, as you can tell, I'm a HAL fan.

We actually loved the "old" Noordam, she was just the right size. But the Vista Class isn't too bad. At least it isn't over 3000 passengers.

Have a Great cruise!

Archived