Not excited about upcoming cruise!

BroncosFan2010

My parents will be cruising with us on our next cruise. This will be their first time, and they don't seem to be excited about it at all. I have tried to prepare the for what to expect, and have helped them plan a few excursions, but every time the cruise gets mentioned, they don't want to talk about it. They don't want to look at pictures of the ship, or do anything cruise related.

I am a bit worried that they may dampen our experience!! How can they not be excited?

Any suggestions to get them in the cruising spirit? Or any way we can just let them know that we will be having a good time, and if they want to just be difficult and sit on their balcony all day so be it??:eek:

Was the cruise their idea or yours? Perhaps they just don't know what to expect or have had some fights among themselves about it.

Not everyone gets as excited as we do about our cruise addiction.

Just don't worry about it and wait and see what happens. Even though you are cruising together, you don't have to spend all your time together.

It's possible that they aren't interested in the excursions, or don't have the extra money to spend on them.:cool: Enjoy your time together, life is short.

The cruise was actually my mom's idea, but they were not originally planning on going with us... then after we had booked, my parents decided to come with us.

Money is DEFINITELY not the problem.... :rolleyes:

It is starting to damper our vacation plans because they seem to think that we are just going to spend our time with them hanging out at the bar or by the pool. We have tried to tell them that there is SOOO much more to do, and they can do as much or as little as they want.

I understand they have no idea what to expect, and hopefully they will realize how much fun there is to be had once they get on board... It is just making for a frustrating few months leading up to the cruise...

Since it's their 1st cruise, they don't know about the "excitement" factor. Let them discover it on their own. If you keep trying to impart your excitement to them, there's a real chance they are NOT going to have the wonderful time you think they should. Let them do this in their own way!

I agree. Just because you like it doesn't mean they are going to like it either. To the OP, it's not up to you to convince them to like it or to make sure they have fun. You are not responsible for them having a good time.

I have a hard time with the OP saying it will dampen her experience. Only if you let it. You plan your days, ask them if they'd like to join you, and you are kind about it. No need to "inform" them that you will be having fun and if they don't like it they can just sit out on their balcony. If they want to do that and that's fun for them, then that's fun for them. Why do you consider that being "difficult"?

Sorry if this is so direct, I'm not sure what the OP is struggling with??????

Since it's their 1st cruise, they don't know about the "excitement" factor. Let them discover it on their own. If you keep trying to impart your excitement to them, there's a real chance they are NOT going to have the wonderful time you think they should. Let them do this in their own way!

Went on family cruise (20 people from 4 yrs to 80 yrs) in 2007 to Alaska. Parents (75 & 80) went with the extended family. Dad spent quite a bit of time in his balcony cabin due to stamina and Mom spent more time around ship. Whole family did same excursions. Here's the kicker. Dad will tell you he had a wonderful time and loved trip. Mom says she didn't have a good time and will never go to Alaska again. She decided this after we got home.:confused: Other 18 people were not ready to go home. It is all about the half full or half empty personality.

So guess what DB & SIL and DH and I and 15 friends are going on 2nd Alaska cruise in 2009. I plan on having another trip of a lifetime experience. :) I think if you go with the attitude that you have planned what you could to make it a pleasant experience then you have done your job. I try to never let another person's attitude control mine.;)

Happy Cruising!:)

Don't pressure your parents - let them discover what you already know. Cruising has something for everyone.

I planned a family cruise were 13 ended up going - including my kids, parents, grandparents, cousins, and aunt. As the cruise got close, my grandparents started to feel a bit anxious. I think they were concerned there would not be enough things they enjoyed. We just toned down talking about it around them. In the end, everyone had a great time, including my grandparents.

Some people look forward to things differently.

It is quite possible that your parents have had quite a few disappointments in their lives, and have "learned" to not anticipate things overmuch. If you invest a lot of energy and time and excitement into something, it just hurts that much worse when it doesn't happen (yes, I'm very familiar with this sort of approach to life).

Maybe they really like surprises. They want to be surprised. Seeing pictures, talking about what the cruise will be like, will reduce their surprise factor.

I agree with others who say your parents just may not know what their missing. It's their first cruise. However, consider too, that they may not love it as much as you and your husband do.

I convinced my sister how great cruising was. When she got home she said "It was ok, but we didn't love it." Cruising isn't for everyone but the only way to find that out is to take at least one.

I also love cruising as much as the next person, however, I'm a nervous flyer. The week or so before I go on vacation, I am a basket case. if anyone asks...are you excited for your vacation? i will say...yes, can we talk about this later. I will not talk about going on a cruise, flying or vacation away from work. I don't know why...i just do.

Also, my Dad has not been on a cruise for over 30 years. I keep telling him to go on a cruise. But his girlfriend of 8 years, does not like open water. She gets VERY nervous on boat, especially if you can't see the shore. So..maybe your parents are a bit nervous to be 'out to sea AND out of control'??

We planned a trip with the inlaws, they weren't excited, didn't talk about it or give us any input. Two weeks before the trip it was we have to get some new clothes for the trip, what do think we'll see, how hot is it going to be and a hundred other questions. For a couple who couldn't have cared less a month before they were like kids in a candy store and they were in thier 70's. Maybe they will come around as the date gets closer.

I also love cruising as much as the next person, however, I'm a nervous flyer. The week or so before I go on vacation, I am a basket case. if anyone asks...are you excited for your vacation? i will say...yes, can we talk about this later. I will not talk about going on a cruise, flying or vacation away from work. I don't know why...i just do.

Also, my Dad has not been on a cruise for over 30 years. I keep telling him to go on a cruise. But his girlfriend of 8 years, does not like open water. She gets VERY nervous on boat, especially if you can't see the shore. So..maybe your parents are a bit nervous to be 'out to sea AND out of control'??

Not a problem for them. My dad is a world traveler for his job, has been deep sea fishing, and flies all over the place. My mom often goes with him, and is not a nervous flyer.

I am thinking they are going to be more of the type that starts getting excited right before the vacation.

They are fairly young (my mom is 47 my dad 48), so I don't think it is an age thing.

It has to be the fact that they just do not know what to expect and are too proud to ask for any help with deciding what to do, what to pack, etc.

Mokaheena,

First of all, I could kiss you for this statement: They are fairly young (my mom is 47 my dad 48). :D

My daughters first cruise, she was not interested at all to talk about it. I was in a panic thinking that maybe deep down, she did not want to go.

In the end, she said she was so excited that when I talked about it, it was more then she could handle.

Humm..... who knew!

Mokaheena,

First of all, I could kiss you for this statement: They are fairly young (my mom is 47 my dad 48). :D

My daughters first cruise, she was not interested at all to talk about it. I was in a panic thinking that maybe deep down, she did not want to go.

In the end, she said she was so excited that when I talked about it, it was more then she could handle.

Humm..... who knew!

Glad my statment made you happy! I think my parents are really young! I am going to be 24 and I know most people on these boards sail with elderly parents. I am glad my parents are still active and able to do things like be active on a vacation.

I just cannot understand how they cannot be excited! They have a history of changing their mind 500thousand times. But their cruise is paid in full! I know they cannot change their minds. Maybe that is what is bothering them.

Maybe it's just the "unknown" getting to them....My DH and I took our first cruise to Alaska this past September. It was something I had always dreamed of doing, and finally I just did it! He had always said he wanted to, but when I found an awesome price on tix, the fight was on....

Finally I told him I booked it, he could go or not.......he was a pain in the butt for months before hand, couldn't get him interested in much of it at all. Until just before we sailed, then all he could talk about was how excited he was (WHAT?)!

On the ship, he groused about everything (to me mostly) but soon as we got home it was "the best thing ever....." Go figure.

He's mildly physically handicapped, and we are both heavy.........I keep telling him 'so what'. But until he gets there and sees the ship filled with just everyday people, he stresses.

So Lord only knows what's in your parent's heads. As another poster said, let them find their own way of having fun on the trip, and don't let their experience take away from yours.

If you find your plans and interests differ greatly, do what my coworker did when she sailed with her parents: they had totally opposite agendas, so they agreed to meet for breakfast and dinner/after dinner cocktails and then did their own thing during the day. A great time was had by all :)

they not be excited because it may feel surreal to them or they do not want to get too excited. or for me sometimes you might to actually see the ship and be on it in order to truly get in the spirit.

when my parents went on their cruise last year ... i showed them pictures of their room, some of the destinations they will be heading to, some of the public areas, and telling them how good the food is. maybe that will help.

In the years I've been cruising, I've dragged along seven other people at various times. All but ONE loved the experience and has either taken another cruise or intends to do so.

I believe I read that something like 85% of first time cruisers will cruise again. That's a pretty impressive success rate!

To be honest, as much as I looked forward to my first cruise, it was NOTHING compared to the anticipation of subsequent cruises. You have to fully understand how GREAT it is to build up that level of excitement!

Good luck!!!

Sometimes it can be like an over-hyped movie. Someone loves it and tells you how great it is, constantly. You go to the movie thinking it will be the best thing ever. Even though it's good, it isn't the best thing ever, as your expectations are too high. It takes a bit of the shine away.

You might want to be careful to not "oversell" the whole cruise thing. Let them go and be pleasantly surprised.

I took my parents on a cruise for their 50th anniversary. They're a lot older than your parents, but they weren't that excited before we went. I think they may have been going just to make me happy. They were a little confused at first. They were surprised at how nice the cabin was. My mother opened the sliding door to the balcony and exclaimed, "oh, look, there's a porch in our room." They didn't like the muster drill. My Dad didn't feel good about not leaving a cash tip on the table after each meal. I tried to explain to him that you tip at the end of the week. He kept leaving cash anyway. But they still talk about this trip. They even kept the brochure, every post card (didn't mail any, just kept them to look at) and every other piece of ship news. They didn't care for excursions. They went on one and after that they said they just wanted to stay on the ship because ".. they just spoil you so much on the ship, you don't want to get off." In summary, they loved it!

Archived