How do you get invited to the cc meet & greet?

chloes nana

Okay so I am brand new to CC and to cruising, a cruise virgin if you will. ;) I read the threads and posts daily to prepare for my 20 day mediterranean adventure aboard HALS Ms Noordam, on 8/27/09. I have been reading about the CC meet and greets and wondered how does one get invited?? Okay now every one was a virgin once, think way back and bear with me. I have alot of questions but will start with this one and if someone wants to help me with my other questions let me know! I am full of them. WHEW! good thing you are only a virgin once huh?

Just join the Roll Call for your sailing. Someone on the Roll Call does the organization of the Meet & Greet (calling HAL to arrange time, room and refreshments). Then you get together at the appropriate time and place with all the folks who have joined the Roll Call and have a great time! ---- Penny

Go to the Roll Call section and sign in to your roll call for your ship and sailing date. Once you all start chatting, then someone of your sailing has to take the initiative to start planning the Meet & Greet. It isn't something official that HAL does. They will usually provide a place for you to meet, but it is all stricly upon you guys to plan it and make the arrangements.

I was on Princess, and one of my fellow Cruise Critics did the roll call, and kept a tally of the folks, names, cabins, hotels, etc. Then I contacted Princess and set up the lounge area, they gave me the date and time we could have it. Then I ordered cheese and crackers, but left the no host bar, so folks had to purchase their own drinks when they arrived. It was quite nice, we were a small group of 11, but we had a good visit, then some of us at various times, shared transfers, tours, and we met up again for a photo on formal night. And we kept running into each other throughout the cruise of course.

Just join the Roll Call for your sailing. Someone on the Roll Call does the organization of the Meet & Greet (calling HAL to arrange time, room and refreshments). Then you get together at the appropriate time and place with all the folks who have joined the Roll Call and have a great time! ---- Penny

thanks Penny! Have you ever cruised the Mediterranean?

I went out to the Noordam roll calls and noticed you had set up a roll call for your cruise. That is the best way to get started. As you get more people signing up for it you can contact HAL and they can set up a get together (they don't call them meet and greet). Just call the HAL 800-number and ask for ship's services. They will ask you which ship you are sailing on and will put you in contact with someone who can help you.

We did our only so far Med cruise in 2003 on the Golden Princess and had a fantastic time. My wife has had some health problems that interfered with us making another one so far but we are hoping to maybe get back there in the Fall 2009 (hopefully transatlantic leaving from Rome and ending in Florida).

Anyway you mentioned you were new to CC. Be sure to check out the Port of calls boards for lots of good info about the ports you will be visiting.

Have a great next cruise.

thanks , now if I just figure the rest out in the next few months I will be ready to go. Have you ever traveled to the Mediterranean?

We cruised the Western Mediterranean (Barcelona, Cannes, Livorno, Rome, Naples, Messina, Venice and Dubrovnik) in Spring 2008. Don't know whether any of those ports are on your cruise. If any are and we can answer your questions, then we will. Feel free to ask. We were cruise virgins once also :D

We cruised the Western Mediterranean (Barcelona, Cannes, Livorno, Rome, Naples, Messina, Venice and Dubrovnik) in Spring 2008. Don't know whether any of those ports are on your cruise. If any are and we can answer your questions, then we will. Feel free to ask. We were cruise virgins once also :D

my big one is where do we clear customs? We fly from Denver to Heathrow then catch a connecting flight to Rome. are doing a 2 day pre precruise sight seeing on our own. And our return is exactly the same. So where do we clear customs?? alot of your ports are ports of ours, Dubrovnik is one of my stumpers... what is there there to see that is a highlight. And Barcelona is my other one, we love the history and ruins type of exploration, some churches but with Rome at the beginning we aren't looking into too many other Churches. Any help is wonderful. I have found many people on here willing to give advice and I find that really refreshing!! thanks to all!:rolleyes:

Haven't been to Dubrovnik although the whole old walled city is a historical monument from what I understand.

In Barcelona go to the Sacred Family Cathedral (La Sagrada Familia). It is just something you have to see whether you are Catholic or not. La Rambla and the Barri Gotic are two other top tourist sites. There is a great overlook that allows you to take pictures of your ship at dock in Barcelona that is included in most city tours.

Here are a couple of links on Barcelona I have accumulated over the years that might help you.

http://www.barcelonaspots.com/

http://www.barcelona-budget.net/index.html

http://www.bcn.es/turisme/english/turisme/welcome.htm

http://www.aboutbarcelona.com/

my big one is where do we clear customs? We fly from Denver to Heathrow then catch a connecting flight to Rome. are doing a 2 day pre precruise sight seeing on our own. And our return is exactly the same.

Heading over you will be "in transit" in Heathrow, then will clean Italian Customs and Immigration in Rome.

Coming back, you will clear US Customs and Immigration at your first US entry. So, if your flight is Heathrow to Denver, then you clear in Denver.

Haven't been to Dubrovnik although the whole old walled city is a historical monument from what I understand.

In Barcelona go to the Sacred Family Cathedral (La Sagrada Familia). It is just something you have to see whether you are Catholic or not. La Rambla and the Barri Gotic are two other top tourist sites. There is a great overlook that allows you to take pictures of your ship at dock in Barcelona that is included in most city tours.

Here are a couple of links on Barcelona I have accumulated over the years that might help you.

http://www.barcelonaspots.com/

http://www.barcelona-budget.net/index.html

http://www.bcn.es/turisme/english/turisme/welcome.htm

http://www.aboutbarcelona.com/

La Rambla is one I was sure to do it is basically a 2Kilometer walk and I will add the La Sagrada Familia to the must sees. thank you so much for the help. Also to you suggest a rookie like myself never been over seas or on a cruise, that I should stick to the ships tours??

:)

Heading over you will be "in transit" in Heathrow, then will clean Italian Customs and Immigration in Rome.

Coming back, you will clear US Customs and Immigration at your first US entry. So, if your flight is Heathrow to Denver, then you clear in Denver.

thank you! thank you! thank you!! Ruth! I have requested you as a friend so that I may contact you and the Rev, you 2 seem very knowing and I need some of that knowledge at this point. This is my DH dream vacation but he is leaving it all up to me and I am driving my TA crazy I am sure. Ever been in the mediterranean during late August and early to mid September?:):confused::confused:

Ever been in the mediterranean during late August and early to mid September?

No! too darned hot for me. I'll be there in mid-late October next year. I was also in Rome (briefly) once in mid-November. I was wearing cotton muumuus---it was still that warm.

You're welcome re: the info. Feel free to ask away! :)

About clearing US customs on your return - you might want to make sure your return flight to DEN from Heathrow is a non-stop. I've seen a few that are 'direct', not non-stop. They've stopped in DC before continuing on to DIA. I would expect that the second leg of those 'direct' flights will have passengers that will have boarded in DC, so you'd be clearing Customs there rather than at DIA.

my big one is where do we clear customs? We fly from Denver to Heathrow then catch a connecting flight to Rome. are doing a 2 day pre precruise sight seeing on our own. And our return is exactly the same. So where do we clear customs?? alot of your ports are ports of ours, Dubrovnik is one of my stumpers... what is there there to see that is a highlight. And Barcelona is my other one, we love the history and ruins type of exploration, some churches but with Rome at the beginning we aren't looking into too many other Churches. Any help is wonderful. I have found many people on here willing to give advice and I find that really refreshing!! thanks to all!:rolleyes:

Dubrovnik was my big "stumper" also.....it was "oh well, guess I will see when I get there" place.....IT WAS WONDERFUL!! Perhaps since I had no expectations?? I don't know.....we walked the "walled city".....we just took our time.....I would say to go early when you get off the ship....It started to get crowded to get up there later in the day (we were there in August 2005).....but, then a big thunderstorm came in and we had to dash for cover and wait for the shuttle buses! The cruise director referred to Dubrovnik as a "jewel"....you will see what that means....and like everyone here said---go join your roll call and get to know your other cruisers....I think it was especially helpful on the Med cruise!!

Dubrovnik was my big "stumper" also.....it was "oh well, guess I will see when I get there" place.....IT WAS WONDERFUL!! Perhaps since I had no expectations?? I don't know.....we walked the "walled city".....we just took our time.....I would say to go early when you get off the ship....It started to get crowded to get up there later in the day (we were there in August 2005).....but, then a big thunderstorm came in and we had to dash for cover and wait for the shuttle buses! The cruise director referred to Dubrovnik as a "jewel"....you will see what that means....and like everyone here said---go join your roll call and get to know your other cruisers....I think it was especially helpful on the Med cruise!!

that is kind of what I was thinking of for both Dubrovnik and Barcelona. Just go with the flow and see what happens. We have booked several of the ships tours since we are novices when it comes to traveling overseas and cruises both. Need that first timers security of the ships cruises. And as far as the weather being warm, it is usually in the high 90's in Colorado in August so the heat really won't be a big issue for us. Better warm than cold I say!

No! too darned hot for me. I'll be there in mid-late October next year. I was also in Rome (briefly) once in mid-November. I was wearing cotton muumuus---it was still that warm.

You're welcome re: the info. Feel free to ask away! :)

oh geez! well it is around the high 90's here in Denver in August so pretty much the same I would assume.;)

About clearing US customs on your return - you might want to make sure your return flight to DEN from Heathrow is a non-stop. I've seen a few that are 'direct', not non-stop. They've stopped in DC before continuing on to DIA. I would expect that the second leg of those 'direct' flights will have passengers that will have boarded in DC, so you'd be clearing Customs there rather than at DIA.

Same thing here too. Heathrow to DEN via Cincinnati, where we cleared. Only time straight to DEN was on British Air.

Also, on our outbound, we had to go through security again at Heathrow before we could go to the gate to catch our Rome flight.

First of all, the ship usually has a presentation on what you are likely to see in the ports the day before you arrive. There is often some good information at these presentations. Mostly they are to direct you to stores where the cruise line probably gets a cut of the sales, but they do have other info too. I see that you have received answers to some of your questions already. To begin with the weather in summer, it will be hot and humid. The breezes that you find in Hawaii are not found in Rome or Dubrovnik, so wear light weight clothing. If you have ever been in California's central valley, the weather is quite similar.

In Rome with the Tiber river right there, the humidity is so bad has been written about for centuries, but you can still find places that are air conditioned to cool off. In Rome, do an overview tour of the city to see things like the Collosseum, the Fora, the Vatican and some of the churches. We can highly recommend Rome Cabs http://www.romecabs.com/ for a very thorough overview of the city. Mario gave us a wonderful tour of the city and the ruins. When you are in the churches look all around and up and down. Sometimes people miss magnificent ceilings and floors because of the beauty on all sides.

Dubrovnik, we took a very nice tour that went out to the countryside to a farm where we had a lunch of fresh farm produced food, then to Cavtat a resort area and finally dropped us off back in Dubrovnik. We still had plenty of time to walk around the walled city a couple of times, which seemed to consist of a few museums devoted to the war, some eateries and lots of stores. People told us that it was worth the cost to walk the walls of the city, but by that time it was too late for us to do. One thing about the public facilities. If you have ever heard about the toilets in some countries being just holes in the floor, this is one of those countries. My wife said to be sure to roll up the legs on your pants before you go in.

Barcelona, we did an overview tour of the city with highlights of Gaudi's work. Gaudi was one of the foremost Spanish artists of the 19th Century. If you see nothing else of Barcelona, see Gaudi's La Sagrada Familia, it may be the only modern cathedral in the world. Work on it began in the late 19th century, continued throughout the 20th century with time outs for wars and lack of funds. If sufficient funds are received, it will be finished in about 40 or 50 years. It is magnificent. We didn't get a chance to go to any of the museums. There is an on and off bus that you can use to get around, if you decide to do the city on your own. We did walk Las Ramblas and saw all of the street performers. A good place for lunch on Las Ramblas is Egypte. Nothing fancy, but good food and they do speak English.

Any other ports?

THANKS for the heads up. it is a non-stop to DIA.

Archived