new to Carnival, tips questions

newlu

Hi,

Always sailed with Royal, we pay the tips at the end, now I thought that Carnival takes $10.00/day/person, which is fine, but just read a review which said that the $70.00 that they take is just for the cleaning staff and we still have to pay the waiters, can someone clear this up for me, do they give out envelopes that we give to the waiters at the end, or is it just automatically done,

Thanks

newlu

Hi,

Always sailed with Royal, we pay the tips at the end, now I thought that Carnival takes $10.00/day/person, which is fine, but just read a review which said that the $70.00 that they take is just for the cleaning staff and we still have to pay the waiters, can someone clear this up for me, do they give out envelopes that we give to the waiters at the end, or is it just automatically done,

Thanks

newlu

You have the first part right. They put $10 per day on your account for automatic tips. But this is for everyone, including your serving staff, with the exception of the Matre 'D. Most don't tip the MD unless he does something special for them. Your choice. They'll give you one envelope at the end of the cruise in case you want to leave him something. You may also adjust your normal $10 per day tips up or down as you see fit. Hope this helps.

---Bruce

From Carnival's FAQ's:

What is the tipping policy onboard?

Service Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $10.00 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

For Cruises-To-Nowhere, gratuities of $10 per guest, per day must be prepaid.

Our Staff is totally committed to exceed your expectations in every way possible. If you are not satisfied with the service you receive, we encourage you to contact the Purser’s Information desk while onboard. This will allow us to address your concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time.

For beverage purchases, fifteen percent of the bill is automatically added to the Sail & Sign charge. Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered. Tipping your Maître d’ is at your discretion, based upon the service you receive.

I just returned from the Freedom and we were given an envelope for the MD and a couple of extra ones to use as we saw fit. We decided to tip our waiters and steward extra because we felt their service was top notch.

Can you remove the automatic tips now and give all your tips in an envelope, or are those days over?

Yes, you can remove the tips. I guess you could get extra envelopes from the purser.

I don't have any first hand experience, but I've read where the employees are questioned about why someone removed their tips.

As for me....I've decided I like the automatic tips. I don't have to go chasing everyone around the last night of the cruise.

Can you remove the automatic tips now and give all your tips in an envelope, or are those days over?

I know this has probably been talked about MANY times, but the search is down!

I hope those days are over, because the majority of folks who want to adjust tips down is because they are cheap, not because service was lacking.

If you do wish to adjust tips down, you will have to give the purser's desk a reason and expect to get bad looks from your cabin steward or even asked point blank if they did something to displease you. They will get a report that you have removed the tips, so the staff will know tips were removed. They wouldnt know you intend to give them in a envelope at the end. why make waves?

If you wanted to give extra tips, just give them out in cash to the person, no need to adjust the automatic tips.

Royal Caribbean says that the expected gratutity for people in a suite is $5.75 per person, per day - is Carnival the same?

Im assuming you are talking about the extra tip for the consierge. Carnival does not provide this on their suites, so there is no extra tip expected that I'm aware of.

Anything in a full suite on RCL you are expected to tip xtra to the consierge. I will experience this on Celebirty Soltice :)

Archived