Geocaching?

tatanka49

I posted last December before my first cruise. Found 20 caches the day before in Ft Lauderdale. Some caches in San Juan, a few in Nassau none in VI and even one on Great Stirrup Cay.

Then I went to Bermuda this past August. My goal was 18 caches but Hurricane Bob limited me to 12.

Now I'm signed up Port Canaveral and Nassau in April and will do it again.

Great way to get lots of smileys in various countries.

• 1 year later...
Don't know much about geocaching... but am definately going to look into it for my upcoming cruise as well as for around my own city!!

My wife and I really enjoy it. Once we pick a cruise, and see which ports we call, the first thing I do is look up how many caches are around. We also do this when we take road trips, visit family, etc.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I geocache on every cruise, including placing some caches on the islands where there is a need for more. I usually end up giving a small lecture on board to our dinner table guests, and there have even been folks who wanted more information, so I was thinking of setting up a workshop through the CD. Perhaps on these next 2 cruises since there are 4 of us from Ottawa sailing the Caribbean this time.

We are model12, Aldy, Flyguy35 and RDLtrekker on geocaching.com.

A basic handheld gps is all that is needed. Go with a Garmin unit so you can get maps loaded onto it easily. Loads of FREE maps available online, www.openstreetmap.org/, chose your area of interest and build your mapset.

I have maps of all the islands we visit.

A trip to geocaching.com will show you all the caches on the islands you'll visit, and you can either download them individually or do a Pocket Query and dump them all into GSAK for uploading to your gps and handheld. I use an iTouch and carry my database with me using IGeoKnife and Geosphere or the GC.com app. That way I can log in the field and upload when I get free wifi.

I also carry a maintenance kit, so I can fix up any island caches that need TLC.

• 2 weeks later...

It is nice to have a thread about Geocaching!

We have replaced caches in Panama and placed caches near the port in Puntarenas, Costa Rica because when we took our Panama Canal cruise there were none there. It is fun to be notified when cruisers find our caches and there have been other cachers that have provided maintenance for us. It is a really nice community and a great way to meet other people and find places in and around your area that you never knew were there.

It is fascinating to find out that there are caches on every continent, some in the ocean, on Everest and even an astronaut placed a nano on the international space station...(just because he could! )

It is a great hobby!

We have placed over 100 caches and it is amazing how creative you can get when you think outside the box.

Bermuda has over 130 caches on the island and there are many caches , and there are many in the areas that the cruise ships dock.

there is also a cruise coming up in April 2012 for geocachers.

There are over 30 people signed up

if your interested check out the website

http://www.vacationsmadeez4u.com/rw/view/1210

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

DH is an avid geocacher. When we're on a cruise vacation, sometimes I go along with him, other times he leaves me on the beach or shopping while he goes. For cruise ports, he's found caches in St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands; Curacao; San Juan; Nassau. Same principle applies for when we're on land vacation. His GPS lives in his jacket pocket :)

Our most recent cruise, he had a whole bunch of travel bugs that he dropped in a travel bug hotel in Curacao. And he met a geocacher who took one of his geocoins too! That geocoin will rack up some miles now! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived