Geocaching?

tatanka49

Anybody into Geocaching? I am hitting Nassau, San Juan and VI next week on the Statendam and wondering if there are any fellow geocachers who can give me some hints.

Hi! I am a geocacher, but not sure whether I will go caching on my cruise in February. In case you haven't yet, look on geocaching.com for caches in the areas where you will be in port. Read the logs of previous cachers, to know what to expect. And most of all, have fun!!

• 2 weeks later...

Another geocacher here. I never leave on a trip without my GPS. Here is a site to check out - http://www.tageo.com/index.htm You can use it to zero in on an area and then use the resulting coordinates as the center to build your pocket query. Not exactly intuitive but is a good start for foreign countries. Have fun.

• 3 weeks later...
Great now I want to cache in Alaska LMAO:rolleyes:

My wife and I went caching on our honeymoon cruise to Alaska this last September (2008). As you can tell by my profile, we live in SE Texas, between Houston and Galveston, right in the path of Ike. We flew out early and spent the extra day in Seattle caching, including a visit to Groundspeak HQ.

We hit some caches in Juneau and Victoria, B.C. and had a blast.

On our first cruise in Oct of 07, we hit some caches in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We're going back on the same cruise this November, so I'll make sure my Maggies are loaded with new caches.

Glad to see a Geocaching thread!

:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

My DH and I have done some geocaching in Bermuda. There are some there that are virtual ones. The goecaching site does not allow any new ones to be formed but there is one cache in Bermuda that each time we go there we go to in and put a new treasure in it. It is about a mile walk but it is a nice walk. We love geocaching. It is a fun way to explore new places.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
What all do you need to do this?

Hello there!

The most important item you need to go geocaching is a GPS receiver. You DON'T need a "fancy" GPSr, with all the "bells and whistles," just a basic unit to get started. These are readily available on eBay for around $50 or so.

A Houston area geocacher created this site here: http://factsfacts.com/geocacher.htm

It's an excellent source for a beginner's overview of geocaching.

The "main" geocaching site can be found at: www.geocaching.com

A basic account is FREE, and with registration, you can then search for caches in a given area.

If you have specific questions, just post here and I (or any other cacher, I'm sure) will be happy to answer them.

• 3 weeks later...
Another geocacher here. I never leave on a trip without my GPS. Here is a site to check out - http://www.tageo.com/index.htm You can use it to zero in on an area and then use the resulting coordinates as the center to build your pocket query. Not exactly intuitive but is a good start for foreign countries. Have fun.

I just use the geocaching.com Google Earth plugin, zoom into the area in question, and then find a cache to use as the center for the pocket query.

My Lady and I are planning our first cruise currently, but I've used this method many times while traveling stateside.

• 2 weeks later...

I intend to geocache in Europe this summer, and hope to find a TB to bring with me from the States. As I was reading this, I was thinking that it would be cool to have a cache on the ship itself, then realized the coordinates might be a bit difficult to post.;)

-Jeana, otherwise known as CrazyCache

Ah, cool! Caching in Europe would be awesome! There's a "Band of Brothers" series that starts out near Normandy and goes from there. At least I think the series got placed.

We're definitely caching again in Cozumel and Grand Cayman this year. I doubt we'll do anything on our Jamaica stop, though.

• 1 month later...

I am fairly new to geocaching but I am going to Europe in August and plan on looking for at least 1 cache while I am here. I have been on geocaching .com and saw that there are plenty of them there. I am narrowing it down to Tallin as we will be doing a DIY walking tour. Wish me luck.

Sanbelle

Archived