River cruises that attract a younger crowd?

Dukegirl5577

My parents have done a couple of GCT river cruises that they loved, and the crowd is generally all retirees. Nothing wrong with that at all, of course, but my husband and I are interested in doing one perhaps, and we're in our early 30s.

Are there any river cruises that attract a younger crowd? Will we be the only non-retired couple there?

I'm in my early 40's and was by far one of the youngest on my recent Christmas cruise. I will say there were quite a few maybe in their early 50's on this trip, so that was a nice surprise. Don't let it bother you. This crowd is typically well traveled and fun to talk to about all their life experiences and travels. Most of them are "young at heart" and will be able to keep up with you. Others will be slower paced but will enjoy hearing what you did during the day vs what they did and saw.

My guess is that a shorter trip, ie 7 to 10 days, will have a younger crowd than the longer trips. Most working folk just can't take that much time off of work. I would say you and your husband might have a harder time sleeping in twin beds than anything else. Go and have a great time! You never know if you will like it until you have tried it.

Unless you go RCCL or Carnival you are still going to have age issues. I don't agree with orchestrapal about waiting. River cruises are a great way to see alot in a short period. Most of the cruisers will be well traveled and great fun to talk with. There may even be some type-a couples you'll have trouble keeping up with. Choose the itineraty you like and go for it.

I agree with the member above. If you want to go in a river cruise, don't wait until you retire. We just returned from a Viking River Cruise through the Christmas Markets on the Danube from Nuremberg to Vienna. We are in our late 50's but found we were among the youngsters on the boat. There were a few couples in their 20's or 30's, but most were couples older than us. That being said, river cruising is a great way to see lots of territory with just one unpacking! Very convenient at ANY age. You can also explore on your own without having to wait for the ship's tour if you want. I also agree with the comment about Royal Caribbean and Carnival. You will see younger passengers on these ships, for the most part.

Our recent AMA Christmas Wonderland cruise (Amsterdam to Paris) had several young Brits aboard. A TA from the UK organized their group. I suspect the discounted prices lines are offering to fill their ships will bring some new participants to river cruising. I am all for it. Our younger cruisers had a ball singing ABBA songs in the lounge. Our two prior AMA cruises were decidedly 55+.

WIT

We've book Viking River Legend for the Grand European Tour next July.

We are mid 40's, sailing with daughter/hubby in mid 20's.

We expect to be in the younger category...but sure don't mind. Maybe we'll be looked at as the EYE CANDY for once in our lives! :eek:

I agree with the person who said that mixing with an "older" group of passengers can be a really wonderful and rewarding experience. Our first cruise, when we were in our 30's and almost everyone else 55+, was one of the best times we've ever had on a ship. River cruising, and the touring of the historic cities/ports that goes with it, is a unique experience. Most "younger" folks are looking for a more on-board opportunities (lounges, dancing, shopping, multiple-restaurants, pools, activities, etc.) than those that are found on most river cruises. The river cruise concentrates on port days that seem to have you ready-for-bed by 10pm. We just did our first river cruise in September and we'll be back!!!

Age simply is not an issue. You are not going on the river cruise primarily for the other passengers. You are going for the itinerary, the town, scenery, etc. What matters is that you enjoy your own company or that of your spouse or traveling mates. You will probably be going off on your own many times or interacting with the crew or tour guides. There are many extremely active witty 80 year olds as well as lazy, unmotivated 30 year olds, so who would you rather cruise with?

It is true that the age of the passengers on river cruises are older, but on our cruise, which was during the summer, half of the people were younger than retirement age. As a 50 something, I loved the trip and am looking forward to another river cruise this summer. The people on our last cruise were really interesting.

I think that a river cruise is more appealing to history buffs. Nothing makes me happier than getting to tour an ancient city, and that's a lot of what the river cruises are. I have no desire to see shows or do "fun ship" activities. I don't think it is age related as I never enjoyed those things.

I know that I'm glad that I didn't wait until retirement to enjoy a river cruise!

hcross...

I agree. I'm glad I'm not waiting either. I want to do all that I can in this life...as fast as I can. I don't know if and when I'll ever get the chance later. I live for THE NOW...in case I don't have the opportunity later. You never know.

Plus...I'm going for free...so what the heck! :)

I agree. I'm glad I'm not waiting either. I want to do all that I can in this life...as fast as I can. I don't know if and when I'll ever get the chance later. I live for THE NOW...in case I don't have the opportunity later. You never know.

That's how I feel about it too.

I agree with the person who said that mixing with an "older" group of passengers can be a really wonderful and rewarding experience.

I will agree, but only if they are open to the world and diversity, and are not devotees of Rush Limbaugh and Fox News and therefore make very disparaging remarks about our incoming Commander-in-Chief before he has even set foot in the Oval Office. :)

I will agree, but only if they are open to the world and diversity, and are not devotees of Rush Limbaugh and Fox News and therefore make very disparaging remarks about our incoming Commander-in-Chief before he has even set foot in the Oval Office. :)

It's not just the older crowd that fits this description though. There are plenty of younger people that are spewing this garbage that can't keep their mouths shut either. It's always best, no matter who you are traveling with, to keep your religious and political views to yourself and off topic. Everyone will get along much better that way!

It's not just the older crowd that fits this description though. There are plenty of younger people that are spewing this garbage that can't keep their mouths shut either. It's always best, no matter who you are traveling with, to keep your religious and political views to yourself and off topic. Everyone will get along much better that way!

I have only heard the right-wing and anti-Obama comments from those in the generations pre-Baby Boomer, but I live in California. :)

On our Christmas market cruise, we pre-baby boomer types had more important things to discuss than politics. Let's try to answer the OP's real question. As long as you don't need a lively nite life on the boat, go for it. It is a great way to see Europe and meet some fascinating, well-travelled people. Try it you might fall in love with a very relaxing way of seein the world. Pat

On our Christmas market cruise, we pre-baby boomer types had more important things to discuss than politics. Let's try to answer the OP's real question.

...which was to find a river cruise line which attracts a younger (by age) crowd, which may not be a Christmas market cruise, judging from your post.

AIDA or A'Rosa (not sure which) attracts a younger crowd, but I don't know if they offer dual- or multi-language cruises.

I am well aware that this post may be removed, but I have not been able to contain my displeasure with Gillianrose's criticism of older passengers particularly her assumption that they are by definition conservative and, therefore, their opinions are objectionable. We are 65+ and from rock ribbed NH and yet will still listen to everyone. I think that all reasonable people travel with the idea of learning from their fellow travellers and are not locked in to a point of view. By the way we split our vote!

Well said, newlondon, I'm one of those older people and I don't get into any political conversations even in my own home. My family is deeply divided, but we don't talk politics around one another.

When you return from your Tauck River Cruise, would you post on Cruise Critic or Tauck's Board? We are booked for 2010 on the same cruise. Which direction are you going?

Sheila

I am well aware that this post may be removed, but I have not been able to contain my displeasure with Gillianrose's criticism of older passengers particularly her assumption that they are by definition conservative and, therefore, their opinions are objectionable. We are 65+ and from rock ribbed NH and yet will still listen to everyone. I think that all reasonable people travel with the idea of learning from their fellow travellers and are not locked in to a point of view. By the way we split our vote!

I think it is very unfair of you to criticize me to others, rather than to quote me, and/or address a comment to me, and question what I may have meant by a certain comment.

My displeasure is not with older cruisers, but I do have a beef with a certain segment of pre-Boomers (aged 75+) who moan and groan about the "change" we are about to experience when our new President takes office in three weeks. I have heard many comments like that since the election, and all were made by those of the World War II generation. The comments had a strong racial tone to them and I thought we were past that, but apparently we are not.

Well said, newlondon, I'm one of those older people and I don't get into any political conversations even in my own home. My family is deeply divided, but we don't talk politics around one another.

That is your choice. But shouldn't the dinner table be a place of lively discussion where all points can be heard, a place where you know you are loved and respected regardless of your position?

Archived