What To Wear To Dinner

Rehobo

As we are trying to pack light, what clothing is required or needed for evening wear - both men's and women's? Thanks for the help - it's tough to find summer clothes in December.
The stated dress code is "Country Club Casual." You'll see the same attire as you'll see in a Country Club dining room and in most nice restaurants in any major city.

Men wearing suits and ties will feel overdressed as will ladies in cocktail dresses.

A typical outfit would be a cotton shirt over a pair of slacks for men and the equivalent for women. Shorts, tank tops, jeans, etc. would be inappropriate.

Unless you are planning something before or after your Windstar cruise that requires a more dressy look, you need not pack anything more than casual wear.

OP - I don't know when or where you are cruising, but I have been on every Windstar ship, and have seen plenty of sport coats, ties and cocktail dresses being worn at dinner, especially on Med cruises.

I also don't know where the OP in going, but we're doing the west coast of Costa Rica and in packing it would help greatly not to drag along sport coat, ties, and cocktail dresses. Our itinerary is to pretty remote locations.

We've been on four cruises, but only to Caribbean/Costa Rica, so can't speak for what they wear in Europe... Cotton slacks, nice top for me, polo shirt and khakis for my husband. Suits and ties were few and far between. A sun dress would work also. The Star and the Spirit both had on-deck evening bar-b-ques, and people actually wore nice shorts/skorts (Bermuda type) to those, but you couldn't wear this kind of clothing in the restaurants.

Pack a lot of extra socks for Costa Rica if you'll be doing hiking. It can get pretty muddy.

Hope this helps.

Kim

• 2 weeks later...

We've been on 4 Windstar cruises. One in the Caribbean, Athens to Istanbul, French Riviera and Costa Rica. No coats and ties are ever needed. Men wore "golf shirts", Hawaiian style shirts, and just regular shirts and slacks. Women wore casual dresses, pants and shirts. One gent did wear a sport jacket.

Overall, very casual, but neat and clean.

• 3 weeks later...

My experience on Windstar was (alas) long ago and far away, Tahiti on Wind Song in 1995. On that trip, at dinner the first day, every male who wore a tie to dinner (about 5 or 6, if I recall correctly) was not allowed to sit with his party, but was seated with the captain at the head table. Those ties were the last anyone saw on that trip.

As we are trying to pack light, what clothing is required or needed for evening wear - both men's and women's? Thanks for the help - it's tough to find summer clothes in December.

Hope this helps: We were on the Windsurf Barcelona to Lisbon. I found light weight long skirts, pants & tops worked great for evening wear. We live in Southern California so it was fairly easy to put together resort type outfits and still stay within the weight limits for the airlines. Here is a picture of my DH and me on our way to dinner aboard the Windsurf.

Hope you have a wonderful trip. We are hoping to be aboard sometime in 2010. THE BEST CRUISE WE HAVE EVER TAKEN!

EuropeTrip2006049.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived