Vancouver alcohol policy ?

cruisinsmoothly

We are flying into Seattle, driving to Vancouver and boarding a cruise to Alaska. If we wanted to bring our (allowed) wine onto the HAL cruise, what are the rules re: border crossings? For instance if we buy it in WA state and cross the border into CA do we have to declare it? Can we buy it duty-free as we cross into CA? What about customs as we board? We have never cruised from a foreign country (CA). This will involve more international alcohol transport than I have done. I am not against smuggling a bottle onto a ship, but I draw the line if it involves international law. Can anyone add any insight?

You are allowed 1.5 litres of Wine or 1.4 liters of liquor duty free as you cross the border. You must delare what you have with you, but if it is under the above, you will not be required to pay anything.

Go above those limits, and then duty may be charged.

Once you cross the border at Blaine, Wash. you are legally in Canada and no further customs formalities are required - such as boarding the ship. However, some cruise lines have their own rules about how much alcohol you are permitted to bring on board. Better be sure about that....

Getting liquor from the US into Canada is only part of the equation on an Alaska Cruise.

Once you hit Canada Place or Ballentyne, unless one has arrived at YVR that day and can participate in US Direct, you will get to go through US Customs and Immigration :mad: before you board the ship. They only allow one liter.

That said, I have a suggestion. Why not hit up a BC Liquor Store when in Vancouver and get some British Columbian wine? The wines are great and it would be something completely different:p.

Enjoy your cruise!

If you are driving, there are duty free shops before you cross the border; however, they are only at the truck crossing NOT the Peace Arch crossing. As you approach the border, take the LAST exit (it should indicate something about all trucks use this exit). Cars are allowed through this crossing and there is often (but not always) a shorter waiting time.

If you purchase duty free, just keep the bag with you in the front seat of the car as you cross, declare what you've purchased and you shouldn't have a problem.

I have never heard of a customs officer at quayside turning away a 1.14 litre of liquor....if it proves to be an issue just pour out the .14 litre plus the .14 litre will likely be consumed before you enter Alasakan waters on the second day. :) The real issue is taking liquor aboard a cruise ship in carry on....you can often get away with it in checked baggage but not often in carry on. Wine of course is another matter.

A word to the wise though....liquor and wine in Canada is often as much as double what it costs in the US....alcohol is taxed to death in Canada; so my advice is where ever possible bring in your duty free allowance from the US.:)

Archived