Crusing with 6...can it be done without spending a fortune?

party-of-six

Hello. I am new here. My husband and I are looking forward to our first cruise together (just the two of us!) in March on Carnival Paradise. I know once we've taken this cruise, we'll be "hooked" and want to take one in 2010 with the whole family which is us and four kids who at that time will be ages: 14, 11, 9 and 6. We are in California so leaving from San Diego, LA or San Francisco would be perfect and save us money since we would not have to fly.

My main concern is the cabins/staterooms. Most that I have seen only accomodate 4-5. I don't want to be in two separate staterooms unless they are connected. Are there some cruise line with staterooms/suites that can accomodate all of us? If so, which ones? Any advice is appreciated. :)

I would just get connecting. But that's just me. ;)

Some cruise lines are less expensive than others. Just try a site like expedia or travelosity and try some "mock bookings" and have them sort it "by price". That's the easiest way to see if the cruise will fit in your budget or not. You can't put 6 into sites like that so just do a search on a cruise for 3 and then double it.

After you have an idea of what the prices will be like, how many days you want to go, the cruiseline and itinerary....then just call that cruise line directly or call a trusted TA to make the arrangements.

Thank you. Silly question but what is the diff between connecting rooms and adjoining rooms?

Great idea about trying out travel sites and plugging in 3. I was getting very frustrated trying to input all 6 of us and being told "too many". Who are they to say we are "too many" ;)

Most cruise ships offer connecting rooms (with a door between) in at least some categories. Most of the cruiselines' websites will show deck plans with the connecting rooms marked somehow.

As for California, I did notice when I was looking at some of Carnival's ships, especially the older ones leaving from SD or LA, that they don't have ANY connecting rooms that will sleep a total of 6 people. I called and talked to an agent to verify it. This seemed to be for the shorter cruises. The newer the ship, the better they seem to accommodate.

Some ships have "family suites" but they seem to be very expensive, or only hold 4 or 5 sometimes! (I guess they don't think a family might have more than 2 or 3 kids!:rolleyes:) I know Royal Caribbean offers a few Family Oceanview cabins that have a bed for the grownups behind a curtain, a little bunk room for 2, and a pull-out sofa. Depending on the dates, that can run a little more or less than two connecting oceanview rooms (with two bathrooms).

I found calling booking agents was the easiest way to investigate. They (or a travel agent) can see which connecting rooms are open, or give you the price for a family room.

PHXscuba, family of 6

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

Yes it can be done. We are a party of 5 and usually get connecting staterooms. There are a few things you should be aware of:

You will have to pay at least 4 full fares.

The maximum capacities of connecting staterooms vary from a total capacity of 4 to a total capacity of 8 depending on the staterooms and ship.

These staterooms tend to sell quickly so early booking is your best bet. We booked late once and could only get cabins next to each other with no connecting door - that was a pain.

As mentioned above there are "family staterooms" that may fit your needs but the cost usually exceeds what you will pay for 2 connecting staterooms.

BTW adjoining and connecting usually refer to the same thing - cabins with an interior connecting door.

We're a family of four, but on our last cruise we had something that might work for you. We had two rooms (my husband and son in one, me and my daughter in the other). The did not have a door between them, but did have connecting balconies. So we opened the divider between the balconies and used that as our "hallway" to connect the rooms. It worked really well. If you could get two rooms for 3 or 4 that way (with connecting balconies) that might work for you.

Enjoy your trips!

Since you won't have to fly, you've cut your expenditures practically in half! You don't HAVE to do expensive excursions--take a cab to the beach in the ports, or just walk around and windowshop! Or, in some ports, staying on the ship, and using what you've paid for is a great way to spend the day--the pool will be practically empty!

You don't HAVE to buy t-shirts and "souveniers"--and use your own camera for pictures--the photos on the ship can get expensive!

No need to do the "specialty restaurants" (if your ship has them)---that will add alot to your bill.

You can do a cruise for very little extra money, if you try!

We are cruising with six (me, hubby, three kids and my mom) for the second time this April.

The first time we had six, this past February, we stayed in two connecting Ocean View cabins on the Carnival Liberty - and it worked out great! It really was like having one large room. We did pay for four full fares, and two discounted fares.... not the greatest deal.

This year, we are splurging a bit, and staying in two aft balcony cabins on the Carnival Pride. I just hope that they are able to undo the partitions!

The flights for us, is the killer. Paying for six people to fly from Providence to FLL is costing us over $2200!

Catrin

Archived