How long to wait ?

waASPCrusier

What is your opinion on how long one should wait last minute to book their cruise ? Airfare and hotel have already been secured. We don't really care about the room, were just happy to be on the cruise. I would imagine at some point they start upgrading people in order to open the lower level cabins way a price cut is a much larger percentage of total cost. We had planned to wait till the 45 day mark at least and just thought I would try and get some insight. :)

Just curious ...

Why would you book hotel and airfare in advance? What happens if for some reason you are not able to snag a cruise? Then you would be left holding the bag on some possibly non-refundable airline and hotel charges. I never book airfare until AFTER I've got the cruise booked and I'm approaching or beyond final payment date ... and thus am unlikely to cancel.

I think these great cruise deals are primarily benefiting people who don't have to fly to get to the pier. Thus they could make their reservations within weeks of sailing to get the best possible deals, and chances are they wouldn't be using a pre-cruise hotel since they were in the general area of the embarkation pier. But if you have to fly in order to take advantage of one of these great cruise deals, you're gonna wind up spending more for your last minute airfare than you would have saved on the cruise, so chances are the "deal" won't be so great anymore.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Just curious ...

Why would you book hotel and airfare in advance? What happens if for some reason you are not able to snag a cruise? Then you would be left holding the bag on some possibly non-refundable airline and hotel charges. I never book airfare until AFTER I've got the cruise booked and I'm approaching or beyond final payment date ... and thus am unlikely to cancel.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I am sorry I should have specified...they are both with awards, can be cancelled up to the date of travel or stay with no penalty. I am making myself one of those people who can in a sense drive to the pier last minute. :) So based on that what kind of timeframe do you think Rita ?

Tayo and Kristy

You are rolling dice and there is no reliable response. It would work out great for you up to a week out or you could miss out entirely.

You know you are taking a gamble and it depends upon your fortitude for such things.

Pick a date that has several ships in port the same day so at least if you can't get on one, you might get on the other.

Do NOT assume the ships have loads of empty cabins. That is not the case. They will lower prices until cabins sell (as you are counting on) but you could easily miss out.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out for you.

Some cruises sell out quickly -- others don't.

If there is a certain ship -- certain itinerary -- and certain cabin category -- that you are interested in -- I would book no later than 60 days before the cruise -- and even that might be too late.

I dont think that is the case at this point in time...with the exception of the world cruises and to some degree holiday cruises....this is only a 7 day anyways....thanks for the answer though...didn't figure this question would be a stumper :D

Tayo and Kristy

Book a guarantee cabin now. HAL is having some great incentives including reduced deposits. If the rate goes down before final payment cancel and rebook. If it goes down after final payment ask for an upgrade. If you are waiting for the upgrade fairy to bless you the earlier you book the better your chances.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ’09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

It isn't a stumper.

There is no definitive answer.

You seem to think you can guesstimate and good luck. Hope you can.

No one can absolutely be sure they can answer you correctly.

If we all could give you the answer you want, why wouldn't we all do the same? ;)

You are rolling dice and there is no reliable response. It would work out great for you up to a week out or you could miss out entirely.

You know you are taking a gamble and it depends upon your fortitude for such things.

Pick a date that has several ships in port the same day so at least if you can't get on one, you might get on the other.

Do NOT assume the ships have loads of empty cabins. That is not the case. They will lower prices until cabins sell (as you are counting on) but you could easily miss out.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out for you.

You are absolutely correct :) And at the sametime ,if we miss out we will just move to another week or another cruise...as long as it is HAL we are ok...fyi it is a Mexico cruise out of SD...so no other choices for HAL ships in port. Thanks for the answer though. :)

Tayo and Kristy

Book a guarantee cabin now. HAL is having some great incentives including reduced deposits. If the rate goes down before final payment cancel and rebook. If it goes down after final payment ask for an upgrade. If you are waiting for the upgrade fairy to bless you the earlier you book the better your chances.

Aunty Pat

Thanks for the answer...we are already past final payment for this cruise. :)

Tayo and Kristy

hi,

We have done a couple of last minute cruises (booked 3to 7 days before the cruise). The cruises were not planned but just happened when out TA called us with a deal. We have friends of ours that all most every time we book a cruise say that they want to go, but wait for a cheaper rate. Every time they don't go because the ship get sold out and the price never drops to what she wants to pay.

It isn't a stumper.

There is no definitive answer.

You seem to think you can guesstimate and good luck. Hope you can.

No one can absolutely be sure they can answer you correctly.

If we all could give you the answer you want, why wouldn't we all do the same? ;)

I know there isn't a definitive answer...wrong choice of words for stumper :) I had just hoped more people in the know would post guesses. I only think I can play the game because the 3 biggest factors are taken care Air, Hotel and Cabin(in that we don't care which one we get)....even if I miss out.....I am not losing any money...just this particular week....

Tayo and Kristy

hi,

We have done a couple of last minute cruises (booked 3to 7 days before the cruise). The cruises were not planned but just happened when out TA called us with a deal. We have friends of ours that all most every time we book a cruise say that they want to go, but wait for a cheaper rate. Every time they don't go because the ship get sold out and the price never drops to what she wants to pay.

Thanks for your response :) We are actually happy with the outside prices now...but figure we can wait a few more weeks and see if the V or Sy prices come down a bit....one price/cat or another we will be going :D

Tayo and Kristy

I know there isn't a definitive answer...wrong choice of words for stumper :) I had just hoped more people in the know would post guesses. I only think I can play the game because the 3 biggest factors are taken care Air, Hotel and Cabin(in that we don't care which one we get)....even if I miss out.....I am not losing any money...just this particular week....

Tayo and Kristy

If those of us who know a lot about HAL knew the answer, we'd all be doing it. :D Those of us who know HAL well, know that the ships almost always go out full.

We often have flexibility on our time frame and are not always particular about where the ship cruises. We also are happy to sail on several different cruise lines. We've booked as close as 3 weeks out.

Cool...thanks for your answer...where we aren't quite as flexible(anymore) is line....after doing the others we always long to come back to HAL...:)

Tayo and Kristy

If those of us who know a lot about HAL knew the answer, we'd all be doing it. :D Those of us who know HAL well, know that the ships almost always go out full.

Very true....but all isn't the same anymore...they may still go out full but "I" believe they have to work alot harder to make that happen...in past it might happen months out...not anymore :)

Tayo and Kristy

How much do you think/hope/expect to save?

$300, $100, $1,000 ? ? ? ?

Over current prices or the starting price 11 month ago when we first starting looking ? Actually whatever we save is great...maybe a couple hundred bucks from current price...since we don't book the higher end cabins the amount of savings is better looked at in a percentage amount :D

Tayo and Kristy

Thanks for your response :) We are actually happy with the outside prices now...but figure we can wait a few more weeks and see if the V or Sy prices come down a bit....one price/cat or another we will be going :D

Tayo and Kristy

I saw yesterday that all the superior, deluxe, and penthouse suite categories were closed. for the 14th. Better get on it!

I am unable to respond to your current cruise situation, but may I make a few suggestions that have been helpful to us for your future cruises?

1) We select a cruise 12-15 months away and then wait for one of HAL's

"deposit sales" to actually book (usually $100 per person deposit). We

are then able to select the specific cabin we desire.

2) We watch the fare from that point forward, and if the rate goes down

significantly, we request the rate reduction, or an upgrade.

3) If something comes up we like better, we can cancel and re-book

and our deposit is transferred to the new cruise.

4) We have recently learned to book our next cruise while onboard. The

deposit is again only $200, we can take 'any future cruise' within four

years, and we will receive onboard credits for the cruise (the amount

is dependent on the specific cruise we end up taking).

5) If we are truly unable to cruise, we are only out $200, which we can

rationalize.

I trust that you have been good all year, and Santa will see that you get your "last minute" cruise wish!

I saw yesterday that all the superior, deluxe, and penthouse suite categories were closed. for the 14th. Better get on it!

Thanks Pete....and we were holding out for the Penthouse...oh well next time =] Guess we will just have to be happy visiting your suite :)

Tayo and Kristy

Archived