After cruise doldrums?

HALleluiah

'Tis the season to be jolly! BUT..... I just got off the lovely Oosterdam from the Mexican Riviera (December 13 - 20th) and I just wish Santa would scoop me up and take me back!

This was only my second cruise, but the same thing happened in June. Does anyone else get a severe case of depression after having had such a marvelous time for a week? If so... how do you get over it?

I miss everything! Most importantly, I miss my Oosterdam "family." They really do make you feel at home and loved the 7 days you are part of their lives. Many were old friends, since we'd met just a mere 6 months ago.

I promise to write a review as soon as I get out of my funk, but based on my inability to get back to real life - IF YOU'RE CONSIDERING ANY CRUISE ON THE OOSTERDAM ---> DO IT! You won't regret it.

Happy Holidays to all and many blessings to you and yours in 2009! Keep our Oosterdam family in mind this holiday season, as they're busy serving us and keeping us happy and they're far from home.

If you're on the O or on your way, let me know and I'll send hugs and kisses via you!

Does anyone else get a severe case of depression after having had such a marvelous time for a week? If so... how do you get over it?

I agree with Fireman845 -- book another cruise, or start researching another cruise. We got back from Alaska, and within 15 days had another cruise booked. Got back from Mexico (Ryndam) and booked another cruise for 15 months out. Long time away, but gives me something to look forward to in the "cruise" department :)

This was only my second cruise, but the same thing happened in June. Does anyone else get a severe case of depression after having had such a marvelous time for a week? If so... how do you get over it?

The only cure I know of is to book another cruise, ASAP. You may not be able to sail for a while, but at least have the cruise booked. Then you have something to look forward to and to plan for, and that keeps your mind off of the fact that you are firmly back on land right now.

Hope this helps.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I knew the post cruise blues would hit me too so before I went on my Caribbean cruise I booked a Sea of Cortez cruise. Believe me getting off the ship was a whole lot easier having another great cruise to look forward too.

The only cure is to start planning for another cruise. We had cancelled our long South American Cruise the first part of '09 because of the economy. That meant that there was no cruise planned for us until March 2010 on the Rotterdam. So when we got off the Ryndam on Nov 21, 2008, I sunk into a deep lack of cruise funk. But my friend Judy called today. Wanted to know if we wanted to cruise to Hawaii with them in March. Do we??? You betcha!!! So I am in fine fettle, high spirits and awaiting another call from my friend to let me know what arrangements they have made for this. I think we will probably go with her and her husband Nick. Hoohah!!! Guess I'll go pour myself a small beverage to celebrate. ----Penny

What IS the nature of this addiction we suffer from? We get off a ship and feel her gentle rocking for days to come ( I didn't know that the walls of my house rocked but I keep holding onto them as I walk down the hall).

I think I'm saddest not at the step off the ship because I'm so busy getting papers in order, but rather the night before when I realize that my new best friends, staff and table mates, will be gone from my life.

I agree that having another cruise to look forward to helps but doesn't say enough. Maybe taking the time to not only give tips but also look the staff in the eye and say "YOU made my vacation and I REALLY appreciate it" helps.

While there are always some frustrations on a cruise my wife and I tell each other again and again that "Patience is the order of the day" and then we focus on the wonderful people we meet and how much fun we have with them talking, etc.

So plan another cruise and encourage others who haven't cruised to do the same and then start looking at all the comments on CC.

Larry

'Tis the season to be jolly! BUT..... I just got off the lovely Oosterdam from the Mexican Riviera (December 13 - 20th) and I just wish Santa would scoop me up and take me back!

I miss everything! Most importantly, I miss my Oosterdam "family." They really do make you feel at home and loved the 7 days you are part of their lives. Many were old friends, since we'd met just a mere 6 months ago.

I promise to write a review as soon as I get out of my funk, but based on my inability to get back to real life - IF YOU'RE CONSIDERING ANY CRUISE ON THE OOSTERDAM ---> DO IT! You won't regret it.

Happy Holidays to all and many blessings to you and yours in 2009! Keep our Oosterdam family in mind this holiday season, as they're busy serving us and keeping us happy and they're far from home.

If you're on the O or on your way, let me know and I'll send hugs and kisses via you!

We are feeling the same way...Just off the Zuidy on the 19th. The Rollcall is a great place to go and reminese, I even posted a link to our cruise, one album more specifically to our CC activities. We are looking at others...maybe just a 7 day this time...been bit hard by that cruising bug!

I do keep on saying to myself, "well last week at this time..." I guess we'd better find something soon! :D

i'm so glad to hear that i'm not the only one! it's just awful and no one really seems to understand. thank goodness you guys do!

it looks like the oosterdam is going to be much too expensive for me until next fall. i certainly can't afford her european cruise! (although i am thinking about a trip to spain in july...... hmmm...... maybe i'll find a millionaire between now and then and i can cruise and see the country for like a month!)

I start feeling sick to my stomach about 2 days before the cruise ends (just knowing it's coming to an end) I get off the ship like a lost soul,and a littel bit angry that a new passenger is sleeping in my bed that night. The nerve of them.

The next few weeks are filled with "One Week Ago We Were In Such and Such"

I've come to realize this last cruise, that all the time spent between cruises is just a big inconvenience,this working and paying bills is a real nuisance.

If you disembark on cruise without having booked another, you are asking for post cruise depression.

The only antidote is to book now, and hope the cure will take quickly.

That's it! Add me to the list of those who get depressed after leaving a cruise-- I'd better hurry up and book the next one!

I think mine is worse than my DH because I do all the researching, booking, planning, packing and he basically shows up. He does get interested in excursions a few weeks before we leave, but says he doesn't get excited about the cruise until the day before. We both loved our recent 10-day Noordam cruise and fortunately, we have a Bahamas cruise in another 2 weeks:D Got to keep those cruises booked and often -- too bad work gets in the way!

• 2 weeks later...
The only cure I know of is to book another cruise, ASAP. You may not be able to sail for a while, but at least have the cruise booked. Then you have something to look forward to and to plan for, and that keeps your mind off of the fact that you are firmly back on land right now.

Hope this helps.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I think I did it right? *looks at signature* Did I? :D

:cool:

If you disembark on cruise without having booked another, you are asking for post cruise depression.

We are in BIG trouble, because we just don't know WHAT to book and WHEN to book because of the new baby coming. . . Its just too far out.

I just KNOW we'll be suffering from the post-cruise-blues (pcb's) lol

Time to start planning the next one!! :D
Seriously.

The only cure I've ever found to the end of cruise doldrums is to book another one right away ... even if that other cruise won't actually take place for a year or more. At least when you have one booked, you feel like you have something to look forward to, and it makes those blues go away.

The other way to avoid end of cruise doldrums is to have another cruise ... an even more elaborate one ... already planned for the not-to-distant future from when the first one ends. Then you don't mind disembarking because you know that in a few months you're gonna be getting right back on ... for an even longer cruise.

That's how it's gonna work out for me this next cruise. I have a bit of a wait for the first cruise ... Hawaii in October of 2009. But then I have another planned for March 2010 (Hawaii AND the South Pacific again), so getting off that 2009 cruise won't be a major heartbreak, because the March 2010 cruise is gonna be even better!

Blue skies ...

--rita

We are in BIG trouble, because we just don't know WHAT to book and WHEN to book because of the new baby coming. . . Its just too far out.

I just KNOW we'll be suffering from the post-cruise-blues (pcb's) lol

Dear, dear Mary. We simply can't allow you to have post-cruise blues when there's a possibility of post-baby blues coming up soon. We have to do something about that.

But what?

How about you purchase some future cruise credits! That might serve as just the inoculation needed to fend off the dreaded post-cruise problem. :)

Surely you can expect to be cruising within four years?

I stepped off the Zuiderdam last February with a cruise booked for this February on the Eurodam - and still got the post cruise blues. Nobody made my bed in the morning and the elevator wouldn't take me to the Lido. :(

Okay, booking the next cruise is probably the best antidote, but I am also doing a "supplemental cure".....I am going to the Publisher's Clearing House web site and entering the win $5,000 a week for the rest of your life sweepstakes. I figure if I win I can retire early and DH and I can cruise back to back for the rest of our lives.....:D:D:D

Getting off that cruise your now suffering from cruise withdrawal. (a common ailment) You bemoan the fact that someone else is sleeping in YOUR bed and staying in YOUR room and enjoying the food that YOU miss. Sorry but just think of it this way since December 13th two or three sailings have taken place and those people are going through the same withdrawals.

Book a new cruise and all will change.

Just want you to know that I am waiting for PCH to ring my doorbell so I too can satisfy my cruise addiction. May the luckiest cruise critic win PCH LOL :D.

DD got accepted to her #1 choice for college so we will probably not cruise until after graduation. YIKES!

Our last cruise ended 12-07-08 and it seems like it has been months instead of weeks. I always feel sad after my body stops rocking with the ship. I know it is really over.

So what am I doing with my post-cruise blues? Visiting this website and reading all the blogs of other people's cruises. Pricing pretend cruises so when our day does come I will know what the very best price is. Until then............

Archived