Costa X1 Card

seg1

I was happy with the Red and Rose wines offered on the X1 pkg. It was mostly Italian or French wines. The whites were a little too dry for my taste. But Reds were good.

If memory serves you could have Bud or Carlsberg. I didn't try the Carlsburg... and Bud is Bud, so if you like that you'll be happy. You can also have soda at meals with the X1 as well.

We only had red wine - for the first few days was italian Barbera, which was quite good, than they started bringing another wine, which was not bad, but not so good as the first wine. Once we were able to change it for the first one, later not any more. In self service restaurant they were serving wine in plastic glasses, the taste was not good, maybe because of the glass - we tried to avoid it and whenever possible, we were eating in the restaurant.

I don't know what beer they were serving, but it was good.

On our cruise, the wine was switched out midway through the cruise. The white was terrible pre/post change but the red was drinkable. In my mind it's comparable to a $6-$7 bottle in the US. HOWEVER the cheapest bottle on the ship was about 19 or 20 Euros, so the X1 is still the way to go, in my opinion.

I do agree with the info about getting service at the buffet - the servers are not happy to do it and they bring wine/beer in plastic glasses which is odd. As far as bottled water, at full service restaurants you will get a bottle, but in the buffet they bring you a glass of water (and you can't verify that it was bottled.) Stick with sit-down if you can and you will get a glass/bottle of wine or a glass of beer (you can specify large if you wish!)

Price was about $95 for a week for one adult.

• 2 months later...

HI all, only went through the first 6 pages, so if the info is there already, i apologize.

wondering if anyone has purchased the card on a caribbean cruise. they're all 1 week cruises right? so what was cost?

a struggle in the buffet like mentioned above?

any idea what wine and beer you were served?

just trying to do the math. even if you only did wine at dinner and were there for all the dinners, 2 glasses a night at $6 per is $12 x 7 = 84, so could easily be a bargain. especially without the mandatory gratuity.

any very recent info would be great.

I came back a week ago from the Caribbean. We had purchased the X1 card in the UK at a cost of £54 per person ...sorry not sure of the $ price.

The wine in the restaurant was usually Italian Soave or similar and drinkable, we only had white. They provided it by the bottle and had no problem in getting another bottle when required, or taking it with us when we left.Same with water, served in a bottle, either still or sparkling and as much as you want.

In the buffet they got it for you no problem, but served it in a plastic glass so don't know what the wine was, but at lunch time it was acceptable. The beer here is also by the glass and is a lager. Water is by the glass and I'm not sure if the still was from a bottle or not, but to be honest the filtered water on the ship is quite ok. You can get a jug of this free at any time, in the buffet or restaurant.

The bar prices are very high onboard .. cocktail of the day is E5.50 and normal cocktails start at E6.50 and they go down very nicely too..so if you are not very careful it is easy to run up a huge bill. We found having the X1 card very beneficial ..and then just paying for a couple of cocktails in the evening. We got through around 12 bottles of wine at E20 ...which is very expensive without the card.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your cruise

Archived