Smooth Jazz Cruise Betrayal

TurtleSis

Have those who have cruised for a number of years noticed that for the first time they have discounted the Smooth Jazz Cruise with Waymon Tisdale? They promised they would not discount this cruise; no one will pay less. Now, I've got a single inside cabin that I'm paying more than twice the amount that a couple will pay. So, next year, I guess we should all wait until it is discounted, right? We who signed up without even knowing the line-up appear to have gotten royally screwed in this deal. Did anyone retain the emails telling us that this cruise would not be discounted? Thanks. Denise

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Rhonda..my friend and I are on the Smooth Music Cruise also..see you onboard and will buy you a martini..do you have 1st or 2nd dinner seating ?..I think you are right about this cruise..I suspect it's going to be awesome..we will have to figure out how to meet onboard

• 3 weeks later...
no refund has come....two months later

Was this a full ship charter? If not, perhaps the people getting the price break are just regular passengers, who do not have the privilege of attending any of the jazz cruise activities. I know that I did a writer's cruise on the Rotterdam many years ago, and got to talking with some other people who were booked on the cruise when I met up with them on the airplane heading down to Fort Lauderdale to board the ship. They were paying considerably less than me ... less than half of what I was ... but then I realized, they were not booked as a part of the writer's conference.

I was a bit bummed about the fact that I had paid so much more than they did, but once I got onboard, I realized why. All of our events, classes, lectures, etc., were badged events. You had to wear your writer's conference badge to gain admittance to those things. Also, our schedule of events was not published for the benefit of the general population onboard, so they would not even be privy to special stuff that we had, and where and when it was taking place. And, yes, they did have personnel stationed outside of the various venues checking badges. I did see several people turned away who were trying to get in for various book club talks with authors, etc.

So maybe that's the same sort of case with your cruise? Maybe those people who got it much cheaper did not also get the privilege of attending the various concerts and whatnot that your group did?

Blue skies ...

--rita

• 3 months later...

Today May 15th 2009 Wayman Tisdale at the age of 44 passed away after a two year struggle with bone cancer.

It saddens me to know that the only comment Jazz Cruises LLC had was "we cannot eulogize him on the jazz cruise website". Nowhere is there a mention of the passing of this gentle giant. For all fans of smooth jazz it is only fitting to indulge in your belief and give a thoughtful send off.

Later,

Rhonda aka mucklucks

• 2 weeks later...

Archived