Do The Tours Or Regret It

chucktowndcroz

Grand Cayman is a nice little place but without doing the tours it's useless. There isn't any thing to do but shop at stores that we have in the states....... There isn't even a beach worthy of being called a beach without travelling to the other side of the island which is a tour.

I'll have to disagree here. There are plenty of beaches that are only a $4-5 taxi ride away. There's no need to take an island tour to get to the beach.

Seven Mile Beach is beautiful and just a short cab ride away. The very best way to see Grand Cayman is to rent a car and cruise around the island on your own. The shopping at the port is nice because many times we don't want to do a tour and many of the islands we've visited don't have extensive shopping within walking distance, so we appreciate what Grand Cayman has right when you get off the ship. There are a lot of local shops if you wander around and look. Plus, there's also several good restaurants within walking distance.

I'll have to disagree here. There are plenty of beaches that are only a $4-5 taxi ride away. There's no need to take an island tour to get to the beach.

I agree. I wouldn't do an island tour to visit a beach. I'd grab a cab. And in Grand Cayman you can do that safely and not worry about a thing. Can't say that about too many other Caribbean islands.

I have to disagree too. :) We got off the ship....took a taxi for $3.00 per person to Sea Grape Beach and had a wonderful day there.

On another visit to GC, we rented a car and drove all over the island. What a great day that was.

There is also a place to snorkel called Eden Rock that is free (with your own equipment) and is only a 5 minute walk from the dock.

Seven mile beach is beautiful and only a short cab ride from the tender dock too.

You don't have to do any excursions to enjoy a great time.

Sounds like the OP didn't do research before the cruise.

Without taking a tour you can....

visit the Cayman National Museum,

hop a $5 taxi ride to Seven Mile beach... the most popular Cayman beach,

waste away in Margaritaville,

snorkel at Eden Rock or Devil's Grotto,

try scuba diving at the wreck of the Cali,

shop for Cartier, Lalique, and other major brands,

visit the Butterfly Farm - just a $2 bus ride away,

take a quiet beach break at Smith Cove,

skateboard at one of the world's largest skate parks,

visit the craft market,

take a submarine ride 800 feet underwater,

or just relax and decide once you arrive.

You are on vacation. Yo do not have to plan everything.

visit the craft market,

Maybe i wasn't clear enough in what I was saying. What I meant was plan to have something to do. Without spending money to do something you won't have anything to do but shop

Maybe i wasn't clear enough in what I was saying. What I meant was plan to have something to do. Without spending money to do something you won't have anything to do but shop

You won't be able to shop much either without spending money. :D

How do you know what is to be done in the Caymans if you were stuck in your Cabin with a sick wife?:mad:.

So because my wife was sick I couldn't go? She had to remember the cruise somehow.... I got her a shirt and shorts and went back to the room. Who are you? Are you like following me around?

So because my wife was sick I couldn't go? She had to remember the cruise somehow.... I got her a shirt and shorts and went back to the room. Who are you? Are you like following me around?

So you don't actually know what to do in the Caymans since all you did was go get a few things at the shops right as you get off the tender. Might want to get a bit more experience before giving advice about stop

I'm curious if the OP liked ANY of his ports of call on his cruise? Only reason I ask is he complained about Jamaica too over in the Jamaica forum.

I liked Grand Cayman alot while there. Took a private tour and enjoyed it alot. It's all of what you make of it and planning it out beforehand helps!

• 1 month later...
I have to disagree too. :) We got off the ship....took a taxi for $3.00 per person to Sea Grape Beach and had a wonderful day there.

On another visit to GC, we rented a car and drove all over the island. What a great day that was.

There is also a place to snorkel called Eden Rock that is free (with your own equipment) and is only a 5 minute walk from the dock.

Seven mile beach is beautiful and only a short cab ride from the tender dock too.

You don't have to do any excursions to enjoy a great time.

Sounds like the OP didn't do research before the cruise.

We've always booked a snorkel tour in GC. I like the idea of renting a car and exploring the island - hitting a few beaches/snorkel stops - how did you spend your day?

thanks,

sandy

visit the craft market,

when in Cozumel, we really enjoyed Paradise Beach because of the water activities..floating climbing iceberg, water trampolines, etc. Are there beaches in Grand Cayman that offer similar activities?

I'm curious if the OP liked ANY of his ports of call on his cruise? Only reason I ask is he complained about Jamaica too over in the Jamaica forum.

I liked Grand Cayman alot while there. Took a private tour and enjoyed it alot. It's all of what you make of it and planning it out beforehand helps!

Did you happen to go on the "Big Red Boat" with the NK's in 1990? :)

Archived