Do Tours Or Regret Going To Jamaica

chucktowndcroz

Jamaica is one of if not the dirtiest place I have ever been. It has a lot of potential but you won't see it without doing tours. From the second you get off of the boat to the moment you either A do a tour or B go back on the boat you will be hassled. Its like BUM CENTRAL! All the pictures of beautiful Jamaica are crap. The tours are at those places. If you don't go on a tour you will be screamed at and cursed at by every single local you pass. It's HORRIBLE! My wife asked to go back to the boat because she was scared for her well being. I bought a tour to get away from those people. It was HORRIBLE without a tour. O and the drugs OMG! I got offered everything from weed to cocaine. OVER AND OVER! I went in a restaraunt. A nice touristy one and our waitor showed me that food isn't all he sells. HORRIBLE WITHOUT TOURS! By the way the town I am referring to is Ocho Rios. I can't speak for the others.

Jamaica is one of if not the dirtiest place I have ever been. It has a lot of potential but you won't see it without doing tours. From the second you get off of the boat to the moment you either A do a tour or B go back on the boat you will be hassled. Its like BUM CENTRAL! All the pictures of beautiful Jamaica are crap. The tours are at those places. If you don't go on a tour you will be screamed at and cursed at by every single local you pass. It's HORRIBLE! My wife asked to go back to the boat because she was scared for her well being. I bought a tour to get away from those people. It was HORRIBLE without a tour. O and the drugs OMG! I got offered everything from weed to cocaine. OVER AND OVER! I went in a restaraunt. A nice touristy one and our waitor showed me that food isn't all he sells. HORRIBLE WITHOUT TOURS! By the way the town I am referring to is Ocho Rios. I can't speak for the others.

By tours I mean some sort of something. not necessarily a tour but something other than entertain yourself straight off the ship.

Personally im glad l got off the ship (organised tour though, wouldnt without one) just for the experience but l wouldn't bother going back. If you're there then its worth it so your not left wondering what you have missed. Again this was Ocho Rios.

Another BIG fan of Ocho here!

I have done things by private tour and alone with two twelve year old.

It all depends on how YOU handle the situations! We love the beautiful Island and culture and have met many wonderful people there. I have NEVER been afraid there.

Cozumel we were haggled and hassled and touched, even though I tried to handle it well, was not afraid but very bothered!

It's all what you make of it. It's a shame if you miss out on such a beutiful place!

I have always felt it's not fair to be so negative about this port then first timers already go there with a certain negative impression already in their mind!

I am sure that lots of people enjoyed Jamaica and were not bothered....I have nothing against Jamaicans either....but it does have a deserved reputation and one would be stupid not to plan for that

I did stuff in Europe when I was 19 and stupid that could have got me killed very easily..no problems and had a great time...my attitude at the time probably saved me too ..

so while I am not advising everybody to stay on the ship it is an option

We were hassled and haggled in St Martin MORE then in Jamaica while there. The private tour operator we used (highly recommended and great!) steered us away from all the haggling in Jamaica. If you go on your own then be prepared to handle it all yourself.

I'm the type of person that wants to get out to the new places, see the cultures and enjoy myself. People in different areas act different. That is just how it is. You can either hide on the ship or not go...or get out there and see the sites.

I like adventure too! This wasn't in Jamica but we took a taxi while in Costa Maya to the High School and the kindergarton there. The taxi driver had no idea what we were asking to go to but luckily I knew enough spanish to get us to the HS and they then directed us to the kindergarton. We brought 2 backpacks stuffed with school supplies for them. We sat with the kids in school and learned what they do and the little 4 yr olds sang the Barney Song (I love you, You love me?) in Spanish to us. I cried. They hugged saying "Gracias" after giving each of them a lollipop! It was the BEST time of our lives...we were out there with the kids playing! Our 10 yr old daughter was out there playing with the kids too. If I ever go back to Costa Maya I will do it again. It's the experiences you make that matter.

OMGOSH. First, as someone who was born and raised on the island I am slightly offended by some of your statements. Frankly, I don't care if you like or hate the place...it's not for everyone. I have hundreds of pics of beautiful waterfalls and lush landscape, some among great poverty. I can assure you that every single local did NOT curse at you. Most locals curse in a dialect you are not familar with or very hard to understand. When you got away from 'those' people, where did you do and which 'people' did you see. Like the place or not, as a guest you are mentioning to the locals as 'those people', how interesting. As for the drugs it's there and something people should be aware of before going. You will encounter very aggressive, poor hustlers trying to sell you all kind of things, which can be overwhelming. I do agree that doing a tour is the best way to see Jamaica, from the lush green vegetation and waterfalls of Ocho Rios, the hip strip of Montego Bay to the beautiful beach and cliff of Negril. Jamaica is more than Ocho Rios. There is so much more to the country than a port and even to 'those' people, you came in contact with.

We have traveled to the Caribbean on a few occasions and are back in February.

We usually do our own thing but after reading the feedback on the country have now booked a tour with a well respected tour company who we feel will offer protection from most of the hassle. We are with them to experience the culture,nature and history of the island without doing the usual tourist trap things.

We just feel it would be a shame to travel all the way from the UK and stay on the ship.

We have traveled to the Caribbean on a few occasions and are back in February.

We usually do our own thing but after reading the feedback on the country have now booked a tour with a well respected tour company who we feel will offer protection from most of the hassle. We are with them to experience the culture,nature and history of the island without doing the usual tourist trap things.

We just feel it would be a shame to travel all the way from the UK and stay on the ship.

Please arrange with a guide and you will see among dirt incredible, unforgettable beauty. .

Dunn's River is worth seeing but very toursity, however Coyaba River Garden and Museum, also in Ocho Rios is a botanical garden and waterfall. Ocho Rios craft market is only for the brave at heart but minutes away you have local market in Brown's Town (Wedneday, Friday, Saturday). The strip of Ocho is a trap but close by you have Fern Gully with a scenic drive through a rain forest. Just minutes from the port you can enjoy a day at Sunset Jamaica Grande, where the Redstripe is cold and the jerk chicken is spicy and hot. Take a 20 minute cab ride and spend the day at Couple San Souci, an adult resort. They offer a beach for people who want to go Au Natual. Seek and enjoy the beauty which is there, but it requires a spirit of patience and adventure. :)

I have pics of all the things I mentioned (less the Au natural each:D) if you are interested. If you would like ideas about the less touristy thing them contact me at my screen name at yahoo dot com.

DSCF3713.jpg.7f5db0346b91cde9e6b4df07bb64c443.jpg

DSCF3786.jpg.ca16270bc8c78a47ada67e8ab4602a62.jpg

DSCF3834.jpg.d4f1561ab15b4ca921e4d2d4f1992dfa.jpg

DSCF3615.jpg.ec8ee10890ab52f8186b63357cab0b3f.jpg

DSCF3725.jpg.a2df6c886d4bd0d376ec1639c22ef4bd.jpg

Please arrange with a guide and you will see among dirt incredible, unforgettable beauty. .

Dunn's River is worth seeing but very toursity, however Coyaba River Garden and Museum, also in Ocho Rios is a botanical garden and waterfall. Ocho Rios craft market is only for the brave at heart but minutes away you have local market in Brown's Town (Wedneday, Friday, Saturday). The strip of Ocho is a trap but close by you have Fern Gully with a scenic drive through a rain forest. Just minutes from the port you can enjoy a day at Sunset Jamaica Grande, where the Redstripe is cold and the jerk chicken is spicy and hot. Take a 20 minute cab ride and spend the day at Couple San Souci, an adult resort. They offer a beach for people who want to go Au Natual. Seek and enjoy the beauty which is there, but it requires a spirit of patience and adventure. :)

I have pics of all the things I mentioned (less the Au natural each:D) if you are interested. If you would like ideas about the less touristy thing them contact me at my screen name at yahoo dot com.

Thanks a lot. We are going with barrett adventures who offer tours off the beaten track. We have booked them for the day and they will offer advice and take on board any of our requests when we arrive. They sound just right for us.

I have to agree that there is much beauty to be found in Jamaica. I have been once and saw the rain forest (first time ever to see one and feel the temperature change) and climbed up Dunn's River Falls (an experience you have to do yourself to appreciate - and all the sore muscles that you will have the next day!!). I would go again on a tour but would not explore the island on my own with hubby. I have been to many islands but felt the most pressure to buy from vendors while there. I realize everyone needs to make a living and as a tourist I do just that, support the local vendors it just is too much for me there. I will choose to stay on the ship next week when I go back but would suggest to anyone travelling there the first time to please book an excursion and see what you are interested in and then and only then you can make your own decision about seeing the island or staying on the ship. Enjoy your vacation time either way you go.

I'm one of those people who never get off the ship...I've probably been in MoBay 20 times and after the first 2 or 3 visits, I stayed by the pool onboard. This November, traveling with a British couple we met last year cruising, I was put in charge of our day in Montego Bay...and I learned a lot! We had the greatest day, traveling with a private tour (Marva Shaw's son Javia). He introduced us to Great River Adventures where we went tubing - It was a very cool experience - just exciting enough to wish it would never end...hope you get Chris as your guide...and make sure he scales a palm tree for you...We followed this with a great lunch at The Pork Pit, which is a place NOT to miss if you like jerk! I have a very different feeling about Jamaica than I did in the past - helps a lot to be with a local tour guide!

My family and I were in MoBay 3 days ago and loved it. We were not approached by anyone at the port, everyone was friendly. We did a private tour and saw/met many "locals" who were nothing but friendly. I would go back to Jamaica anytime. I never once worried about my family's safety.

I am so glad to read some good things about Jamaica since we have booked a cruise that will go there. St Marten had some real poverty too, if you took a tour of the island. It isn't the USA so don't expect it to be. We will book a day at an all inclusive, if we have to...but stay on board? No way!

Hmmm. I was just in Ocho Rios, did NOT take a tour - I just walked around, and experienced NONE of what you describe. I even walked into a local grocery store and purchased some goods, and LIVED to tell about it.

Wow. I must lead a charmed life. :rolleyes:

IMG_3436.JPG

IMG_3447.JPG

IMG_3492.JPG

IMG_3500.JPG

IMG_3501.JPG

I was expecting to be hasseled but wasn't. In fact, I felt oddly invisible. My ex-wife and I had no problems walking around the port area, visiting the shops and restaurants, etc. When I arrived back on the ship I did hear a lot of people say that they didn't enjoy the experience.

I work downtown in a big city, however. I can't remember the last time that I wasn't asked for money here on my own turf! Lol.

nolaAlive - Thanks for posting the photos...they're wonderful!!

kooljammin - You have every right to be offended by the OP's comments.

To the OP - Perhaps you received the reception you did because of the way you were treating the locals. Remember, you were a visitor in their country.

I'll be in Ocho next March and plan on taking the ship's excursion to Mystic Mountain. I can't wait! I think a person's attitude going into a situation has a lot to do with the outcome. One of the absolute worst situations I've been in was in downtown San Francisco and having homeless men try to get in my daughters face and talk to her WHILE I WAS HOLDING HER...and she was only 2.5 at the time. I think I can handle Ocho Rios.

I am sure that lots of people enjoyed Jamaica and were not bothered....I have nothing against Jamaicans either....but it does have a deserved reputation and one would be stupid not to plan for that

I did stuff in Europe when I was 19 and stupid that could have got me killed very easily..no problems and had a great time...my attitude at the time probably saved me too ..

I've gotta say that I've been to Jamaica DOZENS of times on both ships and land vacations and I love it there.

Folks are instant on trying to sell you their wares but I've never found a situation where a firm 'no thank you' didn't work.

I've been all over the north coast and a quite a bit of the interior. I love the people. They are very conservative, very family oriented and generally delightful.

I've had more problems on Cozumel than I've Jamaica and I still go back to Cozumel.

The experience is what you make of it... YOUR attitude is as important as the attitude of the Jamaicans.

I am sure that lots of people enjoyed Jamaica and were not bothered....I have nothing against Jamaicans either....but ((I hope this statment wasn't meant to be racist as it sounds. How many Jamaicans do you know in order to have or not to have something against an entire group of people) it does have a deserved reputation and one would be stupid not to plan for that

Is that reputation of weed/herb/bud......yes, yes, yes. The one of poverty.....Yes, the one of surrounded by minorities/blacks...Yes. The one of being hassled/hustled.....mostly. The one of TOURIST being hurt...NO, because that doesn't really happen (please share numbers that say otherwise). With the deserving reputation, there are many things that keep people on the ship.

JMOP

Archived