Diabetic Insulin

SunshneNC

Hey all -

I was wondering where those that are insulin dependent store their insulin during the cruise since most ships do not have in room refrigerators? My husband is a diabetic but only takes insulin if his blood sugar level is too high.

Thanks!

My husband always used his at room temp, even at home, but I have heard some keep it in an ice bucket

My DH uses his at room temp also, but when he did keep it cool before finding it is more comfortable to inject at room temp he used the ice bucket.... No problem....

If you contact Carnival before you go, I believe that they can arrange to have a "sharps" disposal container in your room, like hospitals and doctors offices have. No sense taking a chance on your room steward accidentally sticking himself.

Paul

Please be sure to notify Carnival of your husband being a diabetic and needing special arrangements. I had to notify them of my mother and since there was a fridge in the room already, the stewart knew to give her something to drop her needles in. It also prevents problems at checkout.

As the previous poster has said, you can contact Carnival's Special Needs department and request these things, but there really is no need to.

Diabetes is such an everyday thing nowadays that if you let your steward know when you arrive, they will have ya set up with a sharps container in a matter of minutes, its nothing that they need to jump through hoops to get.

As far as the refrigeration of your insulin goes, ask your MD. My fathers has told him that any insulin can be stored for up to 30 days at room temperature, it will not harm it. Even still, my father will utilize the ice bucket when there is not a fridge in the room. Just put the insulin bottles in a ziplock baggie and stick it in the ice bucket.

No need to worry, this is all stuff you can take care of on the ship. They are very used to these types of requests.

Happy Cruising!

Above poster is correct. The bottle of insulin you are using can be at room temperature for 30 days. Any unopened bottles should be stored in frig. It is not recommended to inject cold insulin=hurts. If he doesn't use the bottle very often and wants to keep it cool, a thermos bottle works well to keep it from getting to warm. Just some tips from a pharmacist.

I'll echo the above. My DD is diabetic and we don't keep her opened bottles cold.

I do believe there is one insulin that still has to be refrigerated. Maybe Bayetta?

If you decide to keep it in the ice bucket, I would do that with caution. Just as insulin loses effectivity if it gets too warm, it also loses it if it gets too cold.

When I sold travel, we were advised to always notify the cruise line in advance. Each has a medical form that should be completed and faxed in. This ensures that the cruise line is aware of guest needs (in-room frig, sharps disposal, dietary needs). We did this for my mom and everything was ready upon boarding. I'd be inclined to notify the cruise line in advance to be certain.

I've never heard that insulin could be stored at room temperature for any length of time? My mom left an unopened bottle here during her recent visit and I've been trying to figure how to get it back to her (without flying to Maine in the winter!) It doesn't expire until 2010, so it can wait until our next visit. But if I could mail it home....

Call Carnival and tell them your situation, there is a special needs form that can be filled out. We did this with my sister since she has gluten intolerance. Everything was handled before we were on the ship.

I think it's better not to wait till the 11th hour.

However, that being said, I'm an RN and have work in acute care for 17 years and we stopped refrigerating insulin about 10 years ago. So ask your phamacist if you really need to have it cold, I think it might extend the shelf life after it's opened, but is a week going to hurt or deteriorate it? You might be surprised, and it doesn't hurt to ask.

Have a great cruise!!!

Carole

Archived