Visas for Australians in China and Cambodia

Miss Jolly

I have just been online to Visalink.com.au and they seem to charge a huge amount for "processing fee" re visas to China and Cambodia. Their visa charge for Cambodia is also well above what I have read on these boards. We are on the Central Coast of NSW and was wondering where and how would be the best place for us to organise a muti entry visa to China and possibly a visa to Cambodia please.

I have just been online to Visalink.com.au and they seem to charge a huge amount for "processing fee" re visas to China and Cambodia. Their visa charge for Cambodia is also well above what I have read on these boards. We are on the Central Coast of NSW and was wondering where and how would be the best place for us to organise a muti entry visa to China and possibly a visa to Cambodia please.

Visa on arrival in Cambodia-either at the port, land crossing or the airport. MAKE SURE you have extra photos. Depending on the border crossing, should be $20.00pp. But SOME of the border crossings (remote-on the Mekong and crossing from Laos) charge $25.00 (a little corruption, but easier to pay the extra $5.00 than hassle with the border guards, who are regular Cambodian Army). DO NOT do visa via online (even though it is offered). There have been problems with "validation" and people have found out their visas are no good when they arrive Cambodia. So back to Bangkok or Saigon they go.

Are you close to a Chinese embassy or consulate??? Visa processing services are generally horrendously expensive. I always try to get visas via consulates or embassies, if there is one close to me. Other than that, I know little of Australia Chinese visa procedures. Sorry, can't be more help.

hi miss jolly

we are arranging multi-entry direct with consular office in brisbane $60 each. http://brisbane.chineseconsulate.org/eng/lsfw/qz/

looks like they will do it by mail for another $10. you'd arrnage it through the sydney consulate I'd imagine

camobodian is being arranged by RCCL onboard for either USD 25 or USD35 each. looked like a hassle otherwise, post passports to Canberra etc, although our T/A said she could arrange forms and if we wanted for them to do it though a service

pete

brisbane

hi miss jolly

we are arranging multi-entry direct with consular office in brisbane $60 each. http://brisbane.chineseconsulate.org/eng/lsfw/qz/

looks like they will do it by mail for another $10. you'd arrnage it through the sydney consulate I'd imagine

camobodian is being arranged by RCCL onboard for either USD 25 or USD35 each. looked like a hassle otherwise, post passports to Canberra etc, although our T/A said she could arrange forms and if we wanted for them to do it though a service

pete

brisbane

Thanks Pete. The Brisbane website is easier to follow than the Sydney website but we are ineligible to use it. It looks as though we may have to make 2 trips into Sydney (one to lodge and one to collect) as the Sydney website does not mention the $10 service. I will telephone and see what they say. Thanks for your help.

Jen

Visa on arrival in Cambodia-either at the port, land crossing or the airport. MAKE SURE you have extra photos. Depending on the border crossing, should be $20.00pp. But SOME of the border crossings (remote-on the Mekong and crossing from Laos) charge $25.00 (a little corruption, but easier to pay the extra $5.00 than hassle with the border guards, who are regular Cambodian Army). DO NOT do visa via online (even though it is offered). There have been problems with "validation" and people have found out their visas are no good when they arrive Cambodia. So back to Bangkok or Saigon they go.

Are you close to a Chinese embassy or consulate??? Visa processing services are generally horrendously expensive. I always try to get visas via consulates or embassies, if there is one close to me. Other than that, I know little of Australia Chinese visa procedures. Sorry, can't be more help.

Thanks greatam for your help yet again.:)

Jen

We are able to use the Melbourne Chinese Consulate. We will drop off our applications and on the fourth day we will be able to pick them up.

Othewise, if you have to send them to Sydney, I would suggest you send along a reply paid, next day service, self addressed envelope together with the extra $10 and if will be sent back quickly. We did that with the 5 visas I had to get earlier this year for our trip from Hong Kong to Athens via the Suez canal. We did them all ourselves and did not use a Visa Service.

I wonder if you applied to the Melbourne Consul whether it would be easier. On our website it tells you about the $10 fee if it is done by mail whereas I see on the Sydney website, it doesn't mention it at all. Here is a link to the charges on the Melbourne site:

http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/ce/cgmel/eng/hzqz/t57198.htm

Jennie

If you go to china-embassy.org/eng - this is the site for the Chinbese Embassy in Australia and if you click onto the visa link the page details how you access the visa options and paperwork, and where to post an application via mail.

I have my paperwork ready to send in January for our Diamond Princess trip in late February.

If you go to china-embassy.org/eng - this is the site for the Chinbese Embassy in Australia and if you click onto the visa link the page details how you access the visa options and paperwork, and where to post an application via mail.

I have my paperwork ready to send in January for our Diamond Princess trip in late February.

Thank you. Would you mind please checking the address as I am having difficulties with these details.

Thanks.

Jen

Just a note regarding Cambodia's Visa Online service following the negative remarks from Greatam...

If you look at their website they clearly state which ports accept VOL and which don't.

As most cruise ships access Cambodia through Sihanoukville they clearly state that you cannot use their service...

I have to say though, that it's a pity more of the 'first-world' countries don't follow Cambodia's lead in this respect as the system works very well and there's no bribe to pay at the border. Also the visa is removed from your passport when you leave instead of taking a full page in your passport like the normal visa, which is an important consideration for frequent travellers...

Thanks everyone for your help. I am not sure what happened to my previous post written some time back - I guess it is floating somewhere in cyberspace:rolleyes: It looks like a couple of trips down to Sydney for the Chinese visas and collection as the postage is not available to us in New South Wales.

We may just stay in Bangkok for a few days rather than our planned quick trip to Angkor Wat - I don't want to chance not being able to get back in to Bangkok airport the night before our cruise.

Happy New Year everyone.

Jen

• 2 weeks later...
I have still been researching but cannot find any mail application service for NSW residents who require Chinese visas. What do the people in Broken Hill do?

Try and call the embassy in Canberra - they are very helpful and I'm sure will be able to give you the necessary info

Hi everyone, I just thought that I would let the NSW people know what to do re Chinese Visas. Our state is the only state that will not issue visas by mail. The other states cannot issue them by mail to us as we are not residents of their state/territory. Visa companies are expensive but local travel agents can send them down for a fee that is far less expensive than the visa companies. I have booked everything independently and so I do not have a travel agent - this is why I have been having so much trouble with the visa.

Aussie gal - could you please email me at jennie1@exemail.com.au I have a private question for you.

Thanks

Hi everyone, I just thought that I would let the NSW people know what to do re Chinese Visas. Our state is the only state that will not issue visas by mail. The other states cannot issue them by mail to us as we are not residents of their state/territory. Visa companies are expensive but local travel agents can send them down for a fee that is far less expensive than the visa companies. I have booked everything independently and so I do not have a travel agent - this is why I have been having so much trouble with the visa.

Aussie gal - could you please email me at jennie1@exemail.com.au I have a private question for you.

Thanks

Hi Miss Jolly,

We organised our Chinese visa through our travel agent . It took a fair while because the original form we completed had been changed and they wanted us to resubmit on the new form, but our travel agent managed to work around that. You might find it easier to work through a travel agent for this. We could have gone to Brisbane to sort it out ,but work commitments prevented that.

I am interested how you organised everything independently. We are doing a Superstar Virgo cruise at the end of September early October to the Straits of Malacca stopping at Phuket, Malacca, Penang and Kuala Lumpur. I would like to try to organise private excursions at these places rather than use the ship excursions but don't have a clue where to start.:( Can you help please? Thanking you, in anticipation. :)

Hi Miss Jolly,

We organised our Chinese visa through our travel agent . It took a fair while because the original form we completed had been changed and they wanted us to resubmit on the new form, but our travel agent managed to work around that. You might find it easier to work through a travel agent for this. We could have gone to Brisbane to sort it out ,but work commitments prevented that.

I am interested how you organised everything independently. We are doing a Superstar Virgo cruise at the end of September early October to the Straits of Malacca stopping at Phuket, Malacca, Penang and Kuala Lumpur. I would like to try to organise private excursions at these places rather than use the ship excursions but don't have a clue where to start.:( Can you help please? Thanking you, in anticipation. :)

Sorry am on my way to bed now but will come back to help in the next couple of days - promise!:p

Hi Miss Jolly,

Hello meontelco. Apologies for the delay in response - so much is happening here! Thanks for the travel agent idea. We are going to use a travel agent just for our visas - I did not relise that this was an option so thanks.

Re private excursions - they are certainly the way to go in my opinion. You usually see far more than on the ship's excursion and at a far less expensive price. The way I organise them is to do a search on the relevant ports of call board for each port. If you are not satisfied, ask relevant and specific questions on these boards. This is where I find all my information and I have saved thousands of dollars and seen so much with my family. The CC members are so wonderful in their sharing of information. I have not done excursions in your ports so cannot give specific information but try creating new threads about each one on this Asia board. Good luck and happy travelling.:)

Jen

Hello meontelco. Apologies for the delay in response - so much is happening here! Thanks for the travel agent idea. We are going to use a travel agent just for our visas - I did not relise that this was an option so thanks.

Re private excursions - they are certainly the way to go in my opinion. You usually see far more than on the ship's excursion and at a far less expensive price. The way I organise them is to do a search on the relevant ports of call board for each port. If you are not satisfied, ask relevant and specific questions on these boards. This is where I find all my information and I have saved thousands of dollars and seen so much with my family. The CC members are so wonderful in their sharing of information. I have not done excursions in your ports so cannot give specific information but try creating new threads about each one on this Asia board. Good luck and happy travelling.:)

Jen

:confused: Not sure how to do threads as I have always read comments from others such as Klongmaster and yourself. Could you please advise me how that operates. Am looking forward to how your cruise works out. Sounds like a fantastic one especially with kids in tow. Bon Voyage. Not long now.:)

:confused: Not sure how to do threads as I have always read comments from others such as Klongmaster and yourself. Could you please advise me how that operates. Am looking forward to how your cruise works out. Sounds like a fantastic one especially with kids in tow. Bon Voyage. Not long now.:)

To use some "double dutch" here, I am unsure as to what you are unsure about.

To search a thread, scroll up to the top of this page.Towards the top on the right side you will see "search". Click on this and type in what you wish to search. Eg Kuala Lumpur or Private tour guides in Kuala Lumpur. Then hit "go". You will then be presented with several threads hopefully and you can read through them and add questions which will reactivatethe thread.

To start a thread (i.e to ask a new question) first of all go to the beginning of the board and then go to the top left to New Thread. Click on this. At the top, write a title and in the box write your comment/questions

I hope this helps. Let me know.

Jen

Hi montelco - there is a whole thread on SuperStar Virgo - make sure to check it out - lots of info

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=208483&page=35

Hope you have a great time on our co-favourite ship :)

To use some "double dutch" here, I am unsure as to what you are unsure about.

To search a thread, scroll up to the top of this page.Towards the top on the right side you will see "search". Click on this and type in what you wish to search. Eg Kuala Lumpur or Private tour guides in Kuala Lumpur. Then hit "go". You will then be presented with several threads hopefully and you can read through them and add questions which will reactivatethe thread.

To start a thread (i.e to ask a new question) first of all go to the beginning of the board and then go to the top left to New Thread. Click on this. At the top, write a title and in the box write your comment/questions

I hope this helps. Let me know.

Jen

:)I think that is exactly what I will try on the weekend when I have more time. Thanks heaps. Like I said, I read them and respond but have never asked specific questions for ourselves. Wish me luck.

Archived